Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop dead

laptop dead

Laptop dead -tried different leads etc. No lights no action.
    How if poss. To get files, documents off it please???

Re: laptop dead

had the same thing last year, its pretty frustrating!
    in the end went to a computer shop and they downloaded all the files I wanted from the laptop onto a storage device, then put that onto a new laptop.
    the motherboard had just given up on mine and cost near as much as a new laptop to fix, so bought another.

You might get it going by taking the battery out.
    Give it a minute - or even overnight, you are basically discharging everything completely - then try to start on mains lead only with battery still out.
    If that does work it will likely run with battery in again, however it's still a warning it's getting on - and you must back up ASAP and think about a replacement.

If you have access to a desktop PC or another laptop, have a look on Ebay for a "disk caddy". Get one that'll take a 2 1/2" SATA drive (assuming this is what your laptop has - CHECK THE SPECS FIRST). I got one a year or two back for 2 ! You'll probably not have to pay >10.
    Caddy plugs into the PCs USB port & has its own power supply. You then take the disk out of the dead laptop (usually only a single screw & a catch or two) & plug it into the caddy. It will appear as an external drive to the PC connected to the caddy & you can then salvage whatever files you need. The caddy can be used with a spare disk drive to backup your computers too.

Quote Originally Posted by pycoed View Post
    If you have access to a desktop PC or another laptop, have a look on Ebay for a "disk caddy". Get one that'll take a 2 1/2" SATA drive (assuming this is what your laptop has - CHECK THE SPECS FIRST). I got one a year or two back for 2 ! You'll probably not have to pay >10.
    Caddy plugs into the PCs USB port & has its own power supply. You then take the disk out of the dead laptop (usually only a single screw & a catch or two) & plug it into the caddy. It will appear as an external drive to the PC connected to the caddy & you can then salvage whatever files you need. The caddy can be used with a spare disk drive to backup your computers too.

Thanks for this.
    Maybe have to take covers off its back to get this hdd details is it ?
    Does it then plug into this caddy ?
    Just annoying as all window mail etc . In and sent stuff on it and field/assurance stuff etc.etc.

Just look up the spec for your laptop, if it's younger than 10 yrs it'll almost certainly be a SATA interface & again almost certainly 2 1/2" size HDD. (Most desktop HDDs are 3 1/2")

Example of caddy (not the same as mine which will take two HDDs)
    Ebay #111317526381

Just look up the spec for your laptop, if it's younger than 10 yrs it'll almost certainly be a SATA interface & again almost certainly 2 1/2" size HDD. (Most desktop HDDs are 3 1/2")

Example of caddy (not the same as mine which will take two HDDs)
    Ebay #111317526381

Thanks .
    model is Advent QT5500
    over 10yrs with ms vista , maybe buy both and may work then as cant see its size anywhere ?

According to Google this contains a
    80GB Hitachi Travelstar HTS541080G9SA00 HDD which a further search reveals to be indeed a 2.5" SATA disk So you should be good to go with most caddies available on Ebay.
    Also before lashing out 5.49 (I know what farmers are like!) Have a look at this page :-

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/qt5500.htm

where it states:-

Laptop Won't Power Up

The laptop may refuse to startup or in extreme cases appear to be completely dead. This can be caused by a static build-up, try the following -

1. Remove all the cables etc inc the power lead
    2. Remove the battery
    3. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds
    4. Replace battery & Re-start - Hopefully the laptop should burst back into life.

May be worth a try first? Can't see the way to remove the HDD on that page, but Google will surely tell you.

According to Google this contains a
    80GB Hitachi Travelstar HTS541080G9SA00 HDD which a further search reveals to be indeed a 2.5" SATA disk So you should be good to go with most caddies available on Ebay.
    Also before lashing out 5.49 (I know what farmers are like!) Have a look at this page :-

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/qt5500.htm

where it states:-

Laptop Won't Power Up

The laptop may refuse to startup or in extreme cases appear to be completely dead. This can be caused by a static build-up, try the following -

1. Remove all the cables etc inc the power lead
    2. Remove the battery
    3. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds
    4. Replace battery & Re-start - Hopefully the laptop should burst back into life.

If

May be worth a try first? Can't see the way to remove the HDD on that page, but Google will surely tell you.

If you believe in miracles this is one.
    All plugged back in as all been off for days now and shock red lights then blue lights and re start on recovey clicked on start normal and all back on .
    Thankyou very very much as I would have thrown it over the hedge yesterday.
    Will try to get stuff of it on to an external memory or something today just in case again.

Wonder how many have thrown laptops out like this ???
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    If you believe in miracles this is one.
    All plugged back in as all been off for days now and shock red lights then blue lights and re start on recovey clicked on start normal and all back on .
    Thankyou very very much as I would have thrown it over the hedge yesterday.
    Will try to get stuff of it on to an external memory or something today just in case again.

Wonder how many have thrown laptops out like this ???
    Thanks.
    Good it's working.
    Never throw away a laptop or sell or even give away. When you're done with it and are sure that you have everything you'll ever need off it take it and either stash it where no one could ever find it or smash, grind, bury it so that nothing can be recovered from it by anyone later on.

I've 'fixed' two for neighbours doing that, but one of them did not run long before doing it again and then could not be revived.

Thanks boys for info . Trying to get stuff off it.
    whats best way to get / save / transfer windows mail in out sent stuff as is for records etc.
    Got contacts and addresses ok ,just got thousands of emails that worth keeping, for future ref. Etc.
    copy and paste , import export all seem long way around it ?

Don't copy and paste old emails. Use the import/export option.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Don't copy and paste old emails. Use the import/export option.
    please if possible remind me how to export large volume of windows mail - emails to a document or folder so I can save on memory stick and able to read easy again please ?

First you must find out where all your old emails are on the dodgy laptop. In the following path please note that wherever I have used upper case letters that means that the folder name will be specific to your laptop.

They will be somewhere like C:/windows>users>NAME OF USER>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows Live Mail or something like that depending on what version of Windows Mail you have been using>THEN A FOLDER WITH ALL THE EMAIL FOLDERS IN IT, i.e. Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, etc.

When you have found the folder that contains all the email folders you copy that onto your memory stick/new pc. or where ever you are going to store them on. Then if using Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail there is an Import option once you are in the program.

First you must find out where all your old emails are on the dodgy laptop. In the following path please note that wherever I have used upper case letters that means that the folder name will be specific to your laptop.

They will be somewhere like C:/windows>users>NAME OF USER>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows Live Mail or something like that depending on what version of Windows Mail you have been using>THEN A FOLDER WITH ALL THE EMAIL FOLDERS IN IT, i.e. Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, etc.

When you have found the folder that contains all the email folders you copy that onto your memory stick/new pc. or where ever you are going to store them on. Then if using Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail there is an Import option once you are in the program.
    Thanks ill give it a whirl.
    Windows 8.1 new laptop got different mail again hope it will work ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Good it's working.
    Never throw away a laptop or sell or even give away. When you're done with it and are sure that you have everything you'll ever need off it take it and either stash it where no one could ever find it or smash, grind, bury it so that nothing can be recovered from it by anyone later on.

Blimey - what do you guys get up to that's so sensitive? Black helicopters on their way to you already!

If you really want to trash it, then Vista would be a good start, or nearly every MS operating "system" with the honourable exceptions of Xp (perhaps) or Win7.

Blimey - what do you guys get up to that's so sensitive? Black helicopters on their way to you already!

If you really want to trash it, then Vista would be a good start, or nearly every MS operating "system" with the honourable exceptions of Xp (perhaps) or Win7.
    Dont know what that bit was about ?

Think I found it copied to D drive thats the storage closed it then reopened clicked on win mail and all there.
    Then I thought to delete a few from the sent box on old computer.
    Then when I closed that plugged in storage and opened the what I thought saved win mail was and the same was deleted on that.
    I thought it copied and saved ok ?
    Dont know whats happened or whats that about - funny.?

Think I found it copied to D drive thats the storage closed it then reopened clicked on win mail and all there.
    Then I thought to delete a few from the sent box on old computer.
    Then when I closed that plugged in storage and opened the what I thought saved win mail was and the same was deleted on that.
    I thought it copied and saved ok ?
    Dont know whats happened or whats that about - funny.?
    Sorry, I can't help you with that one. I have just bought a PC with 8.1 and using Windows Live mail for my personal stuff but managed to import all my old Windows Mail emails from the old PC via memory stick.

Why do you need to bring all your old stuff across?
    Best part of new laptop is leaving all that behind and viruses with it. Be selective and only bring what's of value.
    Anyway as email address remains the same they'll all be there when you log in regardless of what computer you are on, just like aphis, online banking, hmrc,

Sorry, I can't help you with that one. I have just bought a PC with 8.1 and using Windows Live mail for my personal stuff but managed to import all my old Windows Mail emails from the old PC via memory stick.
    Ta

Best part of new laptop is leaving all that behind and viruses with it. Be selective and only bring what's of value.
    Anyway as email address remains the same they'll all be there when you log in regardless of what computer you are on, just like aphis, online banking, hmrc,
    its like keeping letters and correspondace from companies , business paperwork and attachments are all emails
    That sort of thing.
    I know lot of crap but that goes but future reference stuff etc. Need to keep.

If you have decent AV software you won't have any emails with any viruses in them because (a) you will have opened the ones you think were important and the AV will have thrown them out if they contained anything nasty and (b) anything unopened is always deleted anyway.

Emails are only available on any computer if you leave them on the server. I do that when using Googlemail and Yahoo but for private and business stuff when I'm using Windows Live Mail they are downloaded off the server.

its like keeping letters and correspondace from companies , business paperwork and attachments are all emails
    That sort of thing.
    I know lot of crap but that goes but future reference stuff etc. Need to keep.
    +1 But the trick is to have additional email folders for the not-so-important stuff. They can then be deleted when required. I have about 20 email folders. HMRC, Architect, Planning, ebay, PayPa,l etc. etc. as well as the normal Inbox, Sent Items, etc.

Sorry to barge in, but this scenario is why I have stuck with Mozilla Thunderbird for so long, for example- recently moved to a new laptop, and then used the included upgrade from W7 to W8.1 (I know, but you have to learn its foibles somehow!) On both occasions with email it was a painless matter of download and install a new copy of thunderbird, then copy the whole user profile off the old laptop, (a few clicks) Paste that over/into the "new" profile/laptop. Start Thunderbird and hey presto, there we are just where we left off, everything, settings, add-ons, mail, saved stuff the lot, no need to do anything- it has already logged on & downloaded new mail!!

There are other mail programmes but I just find TB very easy. Also its handy to be able to just set the user profile as part of my auto backup so the whole thing is there ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    There are other mail programmes but I just find TB very easy. Also its handy to be able to just set the user profile as part of my auto backup so the whole thing is there ready to go.
    Also it is worth looking at MozBackup, which will backup both Thunderbird and Firefox

Stephen

8.1 is easy enough.

Another problem is sometimes saved emails have attachments that are in word excel etc. And its not on the new computer yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Sorry to barge in, but this scenario is why I have stuck with Mozilla Thunderbird for so long, for example- recently moved to a new laptop, and then used the included upgrade from W7 to W8.1 (I know, but you have to learn its foibles somehow!) On both occasions with email it was a painless matter of download and install a new copy of thunderbird, then copy the whole user profile off the old laptop, (a few clicks) Paste that over/into the "new" profile/laptop. Start Thunderbird and hey presto, there we are just where we left off, everything, settings, add-ons, mail, saved stuff the lot, no need to do anything- it has already logged on & downloaded new mail!!

This makes it soooo easy to migrate to new machines / systems.