Thread: dairy cowshed roof made from solar panels?

dairy cowshed roof made from solar panels?

Has anyone any experience of shed roofs made from solar panels rather than fixed to roof sheets? I am told it can be done. Wonder if having dairy cows underneath would cause any problems to the panels.Thinking of a new dairy building for 60 cows on a robot.

Re: dairy cowshed roof made from solar panels?

can be done but would there be issues with damp condensation etc?
    It would not be much cheaper than using plastic coated steel then mounting panels on rails over
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

I was looking on t' computer last night and there is a system of solar 'tiles' that have been used on house roofs. It looked like wooden boards were used underneath and the whole of the roof was covered with the solar tiles as you would with normal tiles. It also said on the same page that solar panels could be made much bigger than the standard ones we see around, this would make sealing the edges less time consuming. I take your point about condensation etc on a cowshed, which is why I ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    I was looking on t' computer last night and there is a system of solar 'tiles' that have been used on house roofs. It looked like wooden boards were used underneath and the whole of the roof was covered with the solar tiles as you would with normal tiles. It also said on the same page that solar panels could be made much bigger than the standard ones we see around, this would make sealing the edges less time consuming. I take your point about condensation etc on a cowshed, which is why I ask the question.
    Solar tiles are very expensive for the same output as conventional panels.
    solar panels could be used as a roof and I know there are houses locally being built where the panels are part of the roof.
    i suspect that some light would pass through as well.

if you are going to put any insulation on the roof, forget it as panels like to run cool, so need plenty of air flow round them for max performance.

in some parts of the world panels are used to provide shade for animals and in Italy the railway car parks sometimes have panels shading the cars
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

A dairy farmer I knew in PEI Canada used to throw a coil of black plastic pipe on the lawn between his well and his hot water heater. It reduced the cost of heating water by 2/3 during the summer months.

If you took that idea and put the pipe on the roof for the non-freezing months you wouldn't generate electricity but you may drastically reduce your energy costs.

I assume you mean this type of idea with your normal cladding on the sides etc

I remember pricing something like that last year and it worked cheaper to build your roof standard with your normal corrugated iron etc and then bolt the panels on top of that