Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Arla

Re: Arla

good point. have done

Better idea put 10ppl in there :-)

Quote Originally Posted by farmernocows View Post
    I get the impression that treating people FAIRLY is part of the remit of co-ops.It is not,retired members are treated like crap and if you complain they laugh at you.If you are within 5 years of retirement you MUST leave or you will end up as bitter as me.
    I think I'm the charity as they've got over 50,000 of mine and pay me nothing for it.
    I've been retired for 2 1/2 years
    And if like me you will have to wait three years after stopping production and then they pay a third of your money back in October! It is a bloody cheek that despite making all that investment they pay you nothing in the form of a dividend while they hold your shares unless you are an active producer.

In the early years of a fragile young company this retention was perhaps understandable,more so in the case of resigners rather than retirers.Now we are talking about a multinational company to whom this money must be very small beer.It may be in the rules,Milklink made the rules and then changed them at the time of the takeover,but there is no natural justice involved.
    I was a strong supporter of ML,even went to the Malvern meeting when they were set up.I now realise how much better off I would now be if I had never had anything to do with them. I now despise them with a passion

1.7 ppl up from 27 may

that was quick!! puts us near 32ppl minus transport and joining fee for me. would that make us the top cheese price? certainly not top of the overall league table.

how do you know what you are getting it only said 1.7p price increase,how do you know that this is not being related to fat and protein or put on the premier bonus I hope that it is none of the above but how do you know??.
    the ouote about topping the league table said as of june I believe that leaves us another increase next time to meet the quote but it did not say cash , anything other at this stage will be unacceptable to many
    ps to top the league they also have to keep pace with the other price rises and maintain it for 12 mths averages a lot of work still to do

Fir tree you are right!! not as straight forward as i thought!!

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    Fir tree you are right!! not as straight forward as i thought!!
    How so? It is paid on liquid if on liquid contract, paid on solids if on solids contract. In the price leagues the only higher non super market aligned price is Cadbury- silky vale as far as I know. The pension payment has been postponed and the 0.32 ppl supplement continues to year end. The only slight cloud is a likely currency change next month probably of about -0.2 ppl.

And they said they are reviewing the .2ppl for the pensions loan so hopefully we it will 1ppl above defra average and 1ppl below arla amba, which ever is highest.

I assumed it would all be on account, which most of it is with 0.08 on solids. I am certainly feeling a bit happier now going into the more favourable seasonality. Will this be enough to keep some of those who have handed there notice in. I do hope so as they have invested for a long time to get where they are.

have you understood the letter happy or have i mis read it as unless you are on a liquid contract is not all of it on solids? i asume if on liquid they give you the full amount and this gives all members an equal price rise ! i thought you were on a solids contact or have you changed?

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    I assumed it would all be on account, which most of it is with 0.08 on solids. I am certainly feeling a bit happier now going into the more favourable seasonality. Will this be enough to keep some of those who have handed there notice in. I do hope so as they have invested for a long time to get where they are.
    You seem to have misunderstood the letter. The second paragraph refers to how arla milklink is paid for by Arla amba. The price rise to the UK of 15 Danish ore equates to 1.62ppl but arla amba have changed the rates they pay for fat and protein to reflect there value in the world market. Because the arla Milklink members produce a slightly higher fat to protein ratio compare to Denmark, Sweden and Germany, the price paid to arla Milklink has increased by an extra 0.08ppl, compared to the average arla amba supplier. This all about the money paid by arla amba that goes into the "top of the hopper".

The third paragraph then explains how the extra money is paid to you on your own arla Milklink contract. In my case, on a solids contract, this by an increase in the fat and protein prices. My cows are currently producing 3.8%bf and 3.5%p with the fat likely to improve so I should be able to achieve more than the 1.7ppl increase.

thank you for that clarification fob ,i will recieve less than the 1.7

could you please explain more about the paragaph "pension levy deferred "
    who (arla, amba or arla milk link )is looking at how who (members or arla milk link? )is being priced ?
    could you point me to the relavant bit in the merger documents that explain about this loan please?
    thank you in advance

i think i read it right first and then mis read it. must have been something to do with getting out of bed at half 3 to milk 500 cows.. I was hoping it would go on our on account price because we are usually just under standard litre for fat and protein so might not quite get the full 1.7ppl unless i go and buy 30 jerseys. where i will gain now is our production will 50/50 a and b by mid july. that was why it was not the time to move to a liquid contract just now although the offer of a liquid contract is a possibility if and when the time is right.

The pension issue was not detailed in the merger agreement, because no agreement had been reached with the trustees of the fund. it was the potential deal breaker up until the last minute well after the vote, as understandably arla were not willing to take on an open ended bill, even though they did contribute 10m. For us it is something we are well out of, you only have to look at DCs issues.

The pension levy being deffered was a pleasent suprise to me on Tuesday morning although, with hindsight there had been some pointers. I think it has all been put into the mix for discussion leading to a proposal that will be put forward to BoR in October. It does clearly illustrate that we in the UK are having some impact, that we are being listened too and that arla can be flexible.

Why should all members get an equal price rise when some members are producing higher quality milk than others? I've been breeding my cows to produce higher fat and protein for years as we have always been on a solids contract.
    Thanks to foab for all the info he posts on this forum. I have to say I agree with everything he says. Merging with arla was a great move, i'm much happier being part of a huge company with fingers in lots of pies all across the world than compared to mainly cheese like we were before with milklink. Hope i haven't upset too many people with my first post!

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    Why should all members get an equal price rise when some members are producing higher quality milk than others? I've been breeding my cows to produce higher fat and protein for years as we have always been on a solids contract.
    Thanks to foab for all the info he posts on this forum. I have to say I agree with everything he says. Merging with arla was a great move, i'm much happier being part of a huge company with fingers in lots of pies all across the world than compared to mainly cheese like we were before with milklink. Hope i haven't upset too many people with my first post!
    Good idea with the fat and protein but if a spring calving herd, who are the ones keeping the factories/lorries running in nov, dec and jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornishfarmer View Post
    Good idea with the fat and protein but if a spring calving herd, who are the ones keeping the factories/lorries running in nov, dec and jan.
    Us farmers with autumn calving herds, using seasonality payments to improve our milk price. (Ok, I do admit I also have a spring calving herd)

am i right in thinking that you have one herd on AB and thew other on ppl or have i got that wrong ?

Foab that's what I mean, aml have some of the harshest seasonality in spring. Should it be harsher/ more rewording for autumn calvers? How you the European neighbours price seasonality? Only just thought about it but how much do nz pay for liquid milk in the winter when most are dry?

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    your contributions and thoughts are welcome why would any one be upset with you for posting your own views

What's the outlook going forward? They didn't say anything about it in the letter. Where is our price standing now 1 ppl above the defra farmgate average?

Quote Originally Posted by fir tree View Post
    am i right in thinking that you have one herd on AB and thew other on ppl or have i got that wrong ?
    Both herds on solids contracts, both on seasonality. I sorted out my own spread sheet to compare A/B and seasonality (although LinkLine would sort it for you). On my autumn herd there is a small benefit with seasonality but quite a big difference in favour of seasonality with the spring calvers. I think A/B works better for year round calving herds to maintain cash flow.

Dinderleat,

We are above Defra average but i think not by 1ppl. The comparison has to be taken over the average of each quarter and then any potential price reduction is applied over the following quarter.

Arla amba have indicated that they do not expect the price to change much over the next few months but they are clearly trying to increase selling prices to customers as much as possible.

Foab that's what I mean, aml have some of the harshest seasonality in spring. Should it be harsher/ more rewording for autumn calvers? How you the European neighbours price seasonality? Only just thought about it but how much do nz pay for liquid milk in the winter when most are dry?
    I would not disagree that our seasonality is fairly harsh, but that is try to encourage a fairly level profile. At the last BoR, graphs for the weekly milk supply over the year from each of the 4 main countries were put up. Each graph had slightly misleading axis, so I did a quick calculation on peak to trough for each country. The UK was definitely had the biggest difference peak to trough.

i know that this year April/ May milk has been fetching very high spot prices, which makes the seasonality look very unfair. But equally in previous years spot prices have been below even the low April/May seasonality price. We would be pretty upset if our co-op decided to reduce the price in that situation. We expect our milk buyer (co-op, PLC or private company) to protect us from the worst of any extreme down swings in the market but that has to be balanced by us not getting the peak either. If you have a flat profile the A/B choice allows you to avoid the extremes of seasonality pricing.

I am about to be involved in a project to simplify the number of different contracts we have in Arla Milklink. Arla amba are also looking at their price structure moving forward. I am not yet sure of how seasonality is dealt with in Europe, the first part of this project will be the look at this and all the price schedules in detail.

In NZ they used to have town supply and manufacturing supply. Town supply received a high price year round for a flat supply. That went 20 years ago and they moved to a seasonality type system with a much higher price for winter milk. I don't know what the current price difference is.

Yeah I'm a block spring calver and I agree that you guys milking through winter should get a better milk price then. But come spring time every one should be producing cheaper milk off grass what ever time of the year you calf. I think that the seasonality system works well except for perhaps you need a higher milk price mid winter. Won't make me want to milk cows on christmas day though.
    Although I'm a spring calver, I don't have that high a peak in spring as we only milk once a day so get a flatter lactation curve.

By joining arla we will eventually be getting the same milk price as the danes etc, which has to be a good thing as they all have high costs of production (if we aren't happy with the milk price they won't be either). This country has a massive advantage that we have a shorter winter.
    All you guys who have stuck it out with milk link all along like me should stay possitive because i think there will be jam tomorrow.

Maybe you guys in Cornwall have a short winter but my cows have been inside 7 months 3 weeks. They just went out on Monday for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer on a bike View Post
    Both herds on solids contracts, both on seasonality. I sorted out my own spread sheet to compare A/B and seasonality (although LinkLine would sort it for you). On my autumn herd there is a small benefit with seasonality but quite a big difference in favour of seasonality with the spring calvers. I think A/B works better for year round calving herds to maintain cash flow.
    I miss understood one of your earlier posts that's why I asked , far easier to get the spreadsheet off milk link than to go to all the trouble and risk of wrighting your own, link line is ok but a long winded way of doing it if you want to put in different senarios,such as changes in nos or calving patterns. in my opion the spreadsheet should be on the members portal along with many other basic bits of information that are missing !!!