Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPS online application

BPS online application

Cannot believe there is not a thread on this yet! How is everyone getting on?

I have got land details of most of our fields in so far. For the RPA the software seems remarkably good, despite some awkward aspects. You cannot map an area until you have put the size (or hedge length) in, so I have been putting in 1, then going back and putting in the mapped value afterwards for features I have not had an area before. I find the mapped area of fields now includes adjacent tracks which I excluded in my previous mapping, so these have to be drawn round and excluded.

When drawing features on the map, it is annoying not to be able to delete points, only add them. The work around is to pile points on top of each other.

We are fortunate to have upgraded to Thinking Wisp wireless broadband, after dumping a BT Openreach line when it was damaged last year. The software is quite responsive on this, but suspect it would have been very tedious on our old, sub sub 2Mb connection.

Stephen

Re: BPS online application

Quote Originally Posted by sjt01 View Post
    Cannot believe there is not a thread on this yet! How is everyone getting on?

I have got land details of most of our fields in so far. For the RPA the software seems remarkably good, despite some awkward aspects. You cannot map an area until you have put the size (or hedge length) in, so I have been putting in 1, then going back and putting in the mapped value afterwards for features I have not had an area before. I find the mapped area of fields now includes adjacent tracks which I excluded in my previous mapping, so these have to be drawn round and excluded.

When drawing features on the map, it is annoying not to be able to delete points, only add them. The work around is to pile points on top of each other.

We are fortunate to have upgraded to Thinking Wisp wireless broadband, after dumping a BT Openreach line when it was damaged last year. The software is quite responsive on this, but suspect it would have been very tedious on our old, sub sub 2Mb connection.

Stephen
    we have just changed trading name so i was waiting for this to be resisted before sorting out the bps stuff.

Have you been resisted for sfp before? do you really need to re map you whole farm for the bps?

Our agent have just increased there fees for the bps annually for submitting it so was going to submit it my self in future any one else done this with sfp?

Will be looking into it asap

BPS mapping is completely new, in the cloud and has to be done on line. They have picked up the boundaries of most of our fields correctly, but watercourses, buffer strips, hedges and the like need to be added. They have also picked up things like an old irrigation pump house about 6 ft x 10 ft, so that need to be defined as well. Its a whole new game from the old system

Stephen

The topic about 'registration' is here - http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...S-Registration
    Is everyone managing to get registered?

The RPA seems to keep this blog updated with the latest developments ...
    https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/

There's a video containing advice about registering for Rural Payments and editing land parcels, plus they talk through some of the new features coming soon.
    https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/2015/0...-now-and-soon/

I've not checked over our fields yet - I'm waiting for the rest of you to point out to the RPA what they've got wrong ... & for them to get them put right!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

This needs bookmarking to see progress with the system.
    https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/
    Things are still in development but you can start to enter details on land parcels (but it's offline today 5th March)

They have a rather tedious and lengthy video style presentation ( https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/2015/0...-now-and-soon/ ) but if you already registered there is nothing much to learn yet, but you can get an idea of how to enter the required information.
    I believe there will soon be a follow-up presentation shortly - watch their blog.

LOL! Are we psychic tonight?

Just like no. 10 buses!

Uncanny, same minute!

I would like to know if anybody has found out how to draw a 6m margin around a field. To click and drag a regular field shape is easy enough. You then get an area for that shape. But I can't find how to do the margins which have a hollow middle ( i.e. the working / planted part of the field)
    Looking out for the next holiday.

To draw a hollow shape you have to take a line from the outside to the middle, round the inside of the shape and back out again to the outside along the same line as you came inwards. Saw this on some of the pre-mapped features like pit-holes, and copied it.

Stephen

To draw a hollow shape you have to take a line from the outside to the middle, round the inside of the shape and back out again to the outside along the same line as you came inwards. Saw this on some of the pre-mapped features like pit-holes, and copied it.

Stephen
    I didn't think it would let anyone click outside of a field boundary. Certainly doesn't when defining fields that have no buffer strips. But I inderstand what you say, and will give it a go.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    I didn't think it would let anyone click outside of a field boundary. Certainly doesn't when defining fields that have no buffer strips. But I inderstand what you say, and will give it a go.
    Thanks.
    Thats all within that land parcel boundary.

System seems to be broken for me at present - all I can get when trying to log in is a message "It works!"

Stephen

Found how to get rid of the "It works!" message - clear browser cache. Now I see that they are updating so cannot do anything anyway.Stephen

I tried to get some work done at 8am and got the message saying upgrading being done. Come back in a couple of hours.
    8hrs later I get............the same message.

Common Land is now shown...
    Oh dear what a mess.
    I don't think they quite understand the concept.

Has anyone found an allowed land use for moorland?
    Here what was one large area previously - shared between graziers according to historical rights - is now shown as numerous different plots with fictional boundaries.
    Will need to ring them and baffle them further I expect.

I think it's got slightly better today. But far from perfect. I've got a hectare missing in one field. Damned if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    The Shropshire farmer sound about right. The RPA spokesman is a clown. Yes, the booklets might say how to do things. But if the sodding useless computer system will not let themdo those things, then it's no good is it?
    If they don't get things sorted soon, then it's going to interesting by the time we get to late April or early May when many suddenly think they'd better submit their info.

Exclamation Re: BPS online application

For farmers /landowners that dont claim anything , is this the only slot to register , and next slot will be next May?
    Is it the only slot to apply to national reserve also as a one off or will this be possible next and every other year too ?

The Shropshire farmer sound about right. The RPA spokesman is a clown. Yes, the booklets might say how to do things. But if the sodding useless computer system will not let themdo those things, then it's no good is it?
    If they don't get things sorted soon, then it's going to interesting by the time we get to late April or early May when many suddenly think they'd better submit their info.
    To be fair the software is still shown as beta that is they are aware of issues and fixing as they go and get feedback.
    You can see some of the screens in their presentation have extra tabs we can't access yet.
    Trouble is the window for applying is closing quickly, it's not as if we all leave it till the last day.

It does make you wonder if there was a deliberate intention to wreck a perfectly good system we had before.
    Surely that could have been adapted without a completely new untried set up - not even ready yet - with less than two months to go.
    There are plenty of examples of catastrophically expensive Government IT cockups which were eventually abandoned as unfit for purpose.

After the update, tried to enter some more stuff. Once I had found out how to get rid of the blue balloon - click on the text telling you to draw the feature - it seemed a bit improved over last week. That was until I went to look at what I had done last week, and it had lost all my hedge lengths. Phoned the help line "If I put in more stuff, will you lose it again??" They said no guarantee, don't recommend doing anything for a while!

If we are going to lose data each time they update, there is not much point!

Stephen

After the update, tried to enter some more stuff. Once I had found out how to get rid of the blue balloon - click on the text telling you to draw the feature - it seemed a bit improved over last week. That was until I went to look at what I had done last week, and it had lost all my hedge lengths. Phoned the help line "If I put in more stuff, will you lose it again??" They said no guarantee, don't recommend doing anything for a while!

If we are going to lose data each time they update, there is not much point!

Stephen
    I was told this today, dont add to much just yet as its constantly being updated, im trying to register for young farmer incentive but the forms not even online yet which they refer to in the guide...

Have you guys all done you submissions before, we were with an agent but only have permenant grass pasture so it looks straight forward enough?

Is it just a case of checking land parcels fields, removing stuff you cant claim for i.e hard standing etc (which all looks mostly correct) then submitting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post

Is it just a case of checking land parcels fields, removing stuff you cant claim for i.e hard standing etc (which all looks mostly correct) then submitting it?

Pretty much how you said, but now you have to map EFA as well. The mapping does not have to be accurate, but the area does to the nearest 0.01 ha. So if you have a boundary 1 km long (say a field 250 m each side), the location has to be accurate to 10 cm to comply. Can you define the centre of a hedge to 4" accuracy??

At long last the RPA have come up with some guides - they are well hidden, at the bottom of this page:
    https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/tellin...out-your-land/

At last, lists of crop names and feature names that the system will accept!

Stephen

RPA website is desperately slow, pretty much at a standstill

Why are there three types of stream with no definitions to see which one you have?

This is what they say elsewhere:

Occasionally the service will be briefly interrupted while we make technical changes. We will try to minimise interruption and where possible, we will inform users in advance where when the service will be unavailable.
    Updated: Saturday 14th March 2015 at 1pm
    Service availability

The service is now unavailable until Monday morning (16th March 2015). We will update you here if this changes. This is to allow us to undertake technical updates to the service.

Try looking on Telling us about your land | CAP reform or https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/latest...e-performance/
    Stephen

So another major update but it still seems embarrassingly incomplete and clunky?
    Less than two months to go and we are still being fobbed off with a barely working system.
    This has the makings of an expensive IT disaster and RPA will be looking at big fines again for non-delivery.

From: https://capreform.blog.gov.uk/2015/0...rrow-17-march/

Update on Rural Payments service availability tomorrow (17 March)

16 March 2015 CAP Reform
    The Rural Payments service will be available tomorrow but you will not be able to view or edit land. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. This is to allow us to continue to make technical updates. Please keep checking our blog for the latest information.
    Registration is available and customers can check and update their personal details, check business details and give permissions.

I wonder if they have just given up
    Weekend down altogether, now it's Thursday and still no access to view parcels.
    Why not look at your details again.

They have now abandoned the online system for land parcels, but not for farmer registration

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...c938-126534489

Stephen