Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: black smoke from a sisu engine

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    230

    black smoke from a sisu engine

    after a engine rebuild , ive just taken the cvx out muck spreading and any small amount of work, the black smoke pours out. it had recon injectors , new fuel filters any help please

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Does unman yn debyg i adra
    Posts
    801

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Is it underpowered at all? Black smoke usually means unburnt fuel. Any restrictions in the air flow system somewhere?
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    100

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    Is it underpowered at all? Black smoke usually means unburnt fuel. Any restrictions in the air flow system somewhere?
    as above black some is un burned fuel, check turbo hoses est for leaks as it could be losing boost under pressure etc

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    277

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    turbo hoses or air inlet only as to be loose

  5. #5
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Quote Originally Posted by db1410x4 View Post
    after a engine rebuild , ive just taken the cvx out muck spreading and any small amount of work, the black smoke pours out. it had recon injectors , new fuel filters any help please
    As the others have said, you have an air leak and when it comes under load and opens the pump up it fires more fuel in but your loosing air so the fuel-air ratio drops and makes black smoke.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mid Suffolk
    Posts
    84

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    I think the obvious place to start is new Air filters.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    230

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    could it be possible for the inlet manifold to be leaking. as checked turbo, and intercooler pipes all seem to be ok. tried to get some fuel filters yesterday from hampshire dorset wiltshire oxfordshire berkshire and surrey no dealer had any filters all CNH dealers !!!!!!!!.

  8. #8

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Quote Originally Posted by db1410x4 View Post
    could it be possible for the inlet manifold to be leaking. as checked turbo, and intercooler pipes all seem to be ok. tried to get some fuel filters yesterday from hampshire dorset wiltshire oxfordshire berkshire and surrey no dealer had any filters all CNH dealers !!!!!!!!.
    Try an MF or Valtra dealer, I bet they have ones on the shelf that will fit.

  9. #9

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Quote Originally Posted by db1410x4 View Post
    after a engine rebuild , ive just taken the cvx out muck spreading and any small amount of work, the black smoke pours out. it had recon injectors , new fuel filters any help please
    Why did the engine need to be rebuilt and can you list all the work that was done on it, that may give us a better idea.

    The wastegate on the turbo may be worth checking too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    230

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    the engine dropped a valve smashing piston and cylinder head. whilst in bits i had the other head taken of and rebuilt new valves guides and seals etc. the injectors were all serviced by M B in eastleigh. one rocker was ground flush . it starts and runs fine just when working the black smoke pours out . it has an exhaust brake ,all cables went back on with no problem could it be that?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: black smoke from a sisu engine

    Quote Originally Posted by db1410x4 View Post
    the engine dropped a valve smashing piston and cylinder head. whilst in bits i had the other head taken of and rebuilt new valves guides and seals etc. the injectors were all serviced by M B in eastleigh. one rocker was ground flush . it starts and runs fine just when working the black smoke pours out . it has an exhaust brake ,all cables went back on with no problem could it be that?
    What happened to the turbo? did it survive ok?? Is the wastegate opening and closing ok?

    Although if its working ok and isn't causing any problems I'd still go over the turbo pipes and manifolds. Mate had a new head on a Nissan pickup and it did the same as yours, ended up being a wee split in an induction pipe, not enough to blow or squeal but cutting 10mm off & refitting cured it.

    We had a hose split on the combine, the noise was horrendous, smoked and it showed up as only 60% boost- that was really obvious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •