Thread: Orange Broadband Router

Orange Broadband Router

Ever since I first had broadband, I have used the router supplied by the ISP. The original router supplied by Orange is called a Livebox. In updating their service, Orange has sent me a new one, called a Brightbox.

The trouble with the Brightbox is that I lose the internet connection periodically. After spending a lot of time talking to their sodding man in India, they sent me a new one. That one is just as bad. They then decided that there was a line fault, so eventually, 2 OpenReach engineers called to say that they had fixed a fault in the village cabinet. They came in and checked the line at the mastersocket and declared it to be ok.

The next day the problem reoccurred, so I went back to using the old Livebox. The problem with that is that only one of the 2 ethernet sockets on the Livebox works. As I now have a smart TV, as well as the computer, I need 2 working sockets. The TV won't work on wifi so I have to use homeplugs. the computer is 9 years old so can't connect wirelessly.

What ever the problem is, the Livebox can cope with it, but the Brightboxes can't.

Has anybody else had a problem with a Brightbox?

I know that I could buy a different router, there are lots out there, but if I did, would using a non Orange one make it more difficult for the indian man to fix another problem if I had one?

I have decided that I will never again knowingly use any type of product or service that relies on oversesa call centres.

Re: Orange Broadband Router

Can't comment on Orange as we are with BT, but i have just bought and eventualy got working a TP-Link modem 20 and a TP-link wifi router 30 which replaced a BT home hub 2 It took a bit of sorting but before install we had a amazing 5.2mb download and after 6.1mb so this goes some way to prove that perhaps there is better kit out there than the ones supplied.

Used to be with AOL, router was ok I was as happy as I could be with the speed given that we are out of the town (1.5 - 2 mb) suddenly it dropped to under 256 kb and started dropping connection. Spent 6 weeks arguing with AOLs indian call centre, BT (line provider) and BT Openreach all blamed each other. I finally agreed to move to BT if they could guarantee a reasonable line speed. Increased to 4mb overnight, but the BT homehub has always been bad at dropping out at regular intervals. Have just signed up to new contract with BT as the old contract ran out, they will not supply a new router with the contract but will start a new warranty on the old one

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Can't comment on Orange as we are with BT, but i have just bought and eventualy got working a TP-Link modem 20 and a TP-link wifi router 30 which replaced a BT home hub 2 It took a bit of sorting but before install we had a amazing 5.2mb download and after 6.1mb so this goes some way to prove that perhaps there is better kit out there than the ones supplied.
    I don't understand why you would buy a modem and a router; doesn't the router do it all?

My ISP is orange, and I've been receiving this service free of charge for over fifteen years now in co with my mobile contract. Some time ago they contacted me to say they were terminating this free service within a said time period.

The original deal I did with them was free broadband for as long as I was in orange mobile contract. I called them and explained the terms of their deal, and also explained I had always been "in contract" so why was this being terminated? I was told this was their new policy, and I would have to pay for my broadband should I wish to continue with them.

I then told them I was not happy about this and would be taking advice. That was four months ago now, and I'm still receiving free broadband, and have heard no more from orange over this matter.
    Last edited by Ray; 31-03-13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: poor grammer!

the computer is 9 years old so can't connect wirelessly.
    This is easily resolved if you can spare a USB socket.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=wifi+dongle

I would look at a better router of your own, one with a USB on the back which you can put a flash drive in for backup/sharing things is handy.
    As above you might even get improved speeds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    Has anybody else had a problem with a Brightbox?
    Yes. A couple of weeks ago it would hardly stay connected for more than a few minutes. Orange said it was interference from the electricity or something.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    I don't understand why you would buy a modem and a router; doesn't the router do it all?
    Yes the router can do it all, but some routers you buy just do wifi so be careful if buying a replacement, read quite a few forums and this combination seemed more flexible reliable and a cheaper option, its a bit like buying a now old stile hifi separate units were always better than one mixed up lump.

Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Yes. A couple of weeks ago it would hardly stay connected for more than a few minutes. Orange said it was interference from the electricity or something.
    Up date, rang orange and they said there was a fault on the line. An engineer came out and said the line was forked. Replaced the line from the pole to Predial Towers and all is well. It also cost nowt
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.