Thread: Ford 4600

Ford 4600

Hi - have a client 4600 in - hyd playing up, when lifting 3pl starts to go up normally then starts jumping & slowly gets to full height - informed me that when gets on slope loses hyd/PTO all together - oil level ok - not having done much on Fords am assuming there is a problem with oil pump pick-up? is there something (filter?) that may have come off leaving pick-up to high to get oil?

Thanks in advance

Re: Ford 4600

Quote Originally Posted by ReidyNZ View Post
    Hi - have a client 4600 in - hyd playing up, when lifting 3pl starts to go up normally then starts jumping & slowly gets to full height - informed me that when gets on slope loses hyd/PTO all together - oil level ok - not having done much on Fords am assuming there is a problem with oil pump pick-up? is there something (filter?) that may have come off leaving pick-up to high to get oil?

Thanks in advance

Looks like you'll have to put up with me again Reidy

Not done much on 3cyl fords but the nice trainers at Boreham house included info for them when there once. Had a look at the CNH parts web site and it looks like there is an external suction filter- comes out of the back end on bend tube?? from the service info it looks like the 3 cyls do the same as the bigger ones and use a gear hyd pump in the back end with 2 sets of gears, bigger set for lift and smaller ones to do the LP hyds to the dual power/4wd/pto all oil comes from the common suction- one trick to confirm if it air getting in is to add oil when the loss of pressure starts- bringing it up above the orings that may have become exposed as the oil level dropped in the back end as the trailer tips. Would go for orings in suctions side or the filter isn't sealing right- but as you know usually the filter will be wet if its that?

Otherwise the other option may be the pumps knacked and sucking air again when the back end oil gets low?? Never seen one but I would of guess there may be a coarse gauze on the suction pipes open end but possibly not?

Has it got an engine mounted hyd pump as well out of interest??

Ours had the same problem once. I thought it must be the hydraulic pump and got our local White Van man out to put one on. PTO wasn't working right either, so I was certain it was an oil pressure problem. Turned out just to have a loose filter under the step. I'd never realised you can have a loose filter without it leaking. It was just drawing air.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Ours had the same problem once. I thought it must be the hydraulic pump and got our local White Van man out to put one on. PTO wasn't working right either, so I was certain it was an oil pressure problem. Turned out just to have a loose filter under the step. I'd never realised you can have a loose filter without it leaking. It was just drawing air.
    You can with a suction filter, they may weep oil with engine off or not of course, but will suck air when running.

Thanks for replies - found the filter "hidden" under the footstep (hadn't even started to look at job b4 asking, was just assuming had a set up like the 3000) - don't look like it been changed since last century cut filter open just to see, had plenty of my old favourite silicone in it - also drew the pickup out, no screen (typical Ford ) o-rings look ok but of course will be replaced, along with new filter would think that jobs a good un

Will let you know

Thanks again