Thread: 12m tramlines in spring barley, yes or no? And how?!

12m tramlines in spring barley, yes or no? And how?!

Hi guys, we've got an old mf500 3m seed drill and wondering whether it's worth putting in 12m tramlines? I've done the drilling for a few years now but we've never put tramlines in before and with me taking over from dads job of spraying and putting on fertiliser later on, I thought might be easier with tramlines. Plus maybe reduce the greener sample of grains at harvest, but is it worth it?

Also how do you go about it with a 3m drill, as I've been thinking the tramline would need to be between 2nd and 3rd passes on headland to match up. Do I put a tramline in on 1st pass then just carry on from there, so when spraying I fold in and shut off one boom? We've got a teagle spinner so if I tilt it on the 1st pass would that do or would I be too close to the fence for spreading fertiliser?

Or is there another way of doing it?!

help me please with your wisdom!

Re: 12m tramlines in spring barley, yes or no? And how?!

I've seen some people overlap their sowing by half a width of sower on the second time round the outside of field to make tramlines fit.
    Have you measured sower with a tape to check what width it sows?

Sow the first time round with half the width of the drill. Tramline the second full width pass after that and every fourth pass thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Sow the first time round with half the width of the drill. Tramline the second full width pass after that and every fourth pass thereafter.
    +1, if you look at the seed metering bar you'll find there is a joint in the middle held together with a U shaped piece and 2 R clips. Pull the R clips out, do your first pass round the field with the driven half of the drill against the hedge and then put them back in again (remember to do this bit or it'll get a bit messy...).

Your second pass needs to drive straight down the middle of the outside coulter which wasn't sowing anything on the first pass as you'd disabled it.

You may be able to follow the outside harrow mark instead but it will depend upon how your harrows are set up as some of them scratch the full width of the wheel as well as the coulters.

How will you activate the tramlining kit? Has your 500 got the yellow counter in the middle on the front and so will do the tramlining automatically for you? If it has keep in mind that it advances this counter every time you pick the coulters out of the ground so on headlands this can result in tramlines appearing where you don't want them if you forget about it (I may have done this a few times ). Some of the drills have a solenoid that can be used to override this however it can be prone to sticking if not used.

Also; the 500 has two seedrate settings - fast and slow. Slow is easier to calibrate as there is a bigger movement needed on the rate adjustment to achieve a change in rate however the metering bar then turns slower when sowing. This means you'll have a longer distance to drive before the seed held below the tramline shutters in the hopper runs out - so your tramlines will start perhaps 20 yds up the field rather than 10 on the fast setting.

It's defiantly worth putting them in though and if they end up in the wrong place you'll be pleased to know that by harvest the crop will have just about filled them in if they've not been driven in!

Apologies if you are already aware of all this, if you've any questions though I'm happy to answer as I've got a 500 in semi retirement in my shed at the moment after many years of use.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Thanks for your replies guys!

Aye foxbox, I understand what to do now! It does have the tramline kit, but I think it has the 15m yellow wheel, plus I disengaged the linkage and removed the shutter plates when we got it as the old sprayer and fert spinner wasn't compatible with 12m!!
    What I'm thinking on doing is setting the gps to 12m working width and using it as a guide for activating the tramline shutters with the hydraulics piped to the shutter rams after every 12m. (Does that make sense?!)
    i don't have the harrow extensions that cover the wheels so I should be fine driving centrally on the last harrow mark.

The only problem is getting bits for it now! It's the boots that clip onto the hopper bit that I'm needing now! Last year I got tyre patches and glued them on over the hole and then drilled a hole for the boot to clip on!!

Quote Originally Posted by tractorman View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys!

Aye foxbox, I understand what to do now! It does have the tramline kit, but I think it has the 15m yellow wheel, plus I disengaged the linkage and removed the shutter plates when we got it as the old sprayer and fert spinner wasn't compatible with 12m!!
    What I'm thinking on doing is setting the gps to 12m working width and using it as a guide for activating the tramline shutters with the hydraulics piped to the shutter rams after every 12m. (Does that make sense?!)
    i don't have the harrow extensions that cover the wheels so I should be fine driving centrally on the last harrow mark.

The only problem is getting bits for it now! It's the boots that clip onto the hopper bit that I'm needing now! Last year I got tyre patches and glued them on over the hole and then drilled a hole for the boot to clip on!!
    Parts can be a bit of a pain, thankfully I never needed any of the rubber boots but have spent a long time chasing hubs, bearings etc for the discs. I'm afraid I don't know of anywhere that stocks them although it's worth asking round as one of our local dealers used to be able to source some bits (not any more though apparently).
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

I think your simplest option would be to make your tramlines 15m assuming tramlining is working it saves all the faffing about with half widths, I have a mate that does this he just added 1.5m on each side of his old sprayer, cheap and simple job done

I'm on 21m tramlines so no half widths either, did do 15m myself for a year and it does reduce number of tramlines compared to 12m.