Thread: poor steering on international 956xl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

poor steering on international 956xl

I have a 956xl that has gone very hard to steer changed filters fitted a s/h obital unit fitted new hydraulic pump <tandom> and still no better does anybody have a wordshop manuel or info on the filter setup it has three canister two a the back have filters in and the one at the front has awire gauze type filter

Re: poor steering on international 956xl

Have you had the front jacked up to see if the king pins are not tight ? Its a long shot but can happen, also while jacked up & if king pins seem OK turn steering without engine running, using only obitrol pump to turn the wheels, does this work OK ?
    That 3 filter set up is sense o draulic, the 2 back filters are hydraulic & steering, the front one is the pilot pressure valve for the sense o draulic.
    This filter set up is called the combined filter, this because when you lift the working lever or pull back the remote valve it combines the flow of both main hydraulic pump & steering pump for faster flow.
    Although I never come across a problem with this unit it would be possible for it restrict or stop flow to the steering, perhaps if the solonoid were to stick for example.
    Also when you fitted a second hand obitrol did you fit the original block on the front of it ? This contains the steering relief valve, worth getting the steering pressure checked, can't remember off the top of my head what the pressures are but I would say for a 2 wheel drive around 1500psi, 4wd about 2400psi or there about, but check from someone with a manual.

jacked the tractor up tested the king pins stub axles and the power steering ram and thats is ok but need a bit more info to the filter and valve layout before stripping the obital unit doesn't havea block bolted to it

thanks everybody problem found to be part of a backing ring stuck in vavle on sence o draulics

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    thanks everybody problem found to be part of a backing ring stuck in vavle on sence o draulics
    My 956xl (1985 Red/cream model with sensodraulics), has the same problem and none of the experts have yet been able to tell me where to look.

Is it possible for you to explain more clearly where you found this blockage. A picture would be very useful.

Thank you in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    Have you had the front jacked up to see if the king pins are not tight ? Its a long shot but can happen, also while jacked up & if king pins seem OK turn steering without engine running, using only obitrol pump to turn the wheels, does this work OK ?
    That 3 filter set up is sense o draulic, the 2 back filters are hydraulic & steering, the front one is the pilot pressure valve for the sense o draulic.
    This filter set up is called the combined filter, this because when you lift the working lever or pull back the remote valve it combines the flow of both main hydraulic pump & steering pump for faster flow.
    Although I never come across a problem with this unit it would be possible for it restrict or stop flow to the steering, perhaps if the solonoid were to stick for example.
    Also when you fitted a second hand obitrol did you fit the original block on the front of it ? This contains the steering relief valve, worth getting the steering pressure checked, can't remember off the top of my head what the pressures are but I would say for a 2 wheel drive around 1500psi, 4wd about 2400psi or there about, but check from someone with a manual.
    Humour me for a minute Gapples , but on the 84 74 series ,isn't the steering relief valve on the MCV outlet for the steering ?
    (I once changed a complete MCV block with a sticking priority flow divider valve ,for one off a scrapper. The steering was crap on start up after changing it over and the relief valve was damaged by fire )
    So the 956 relief valve is on the orbital ? Interesting
    My money would be on the relief valve

Huffy

Yes, the power steering RV is in the MCV on the 74/84 series, on Robbies red/cream 956 I'm guessing although sens o draulic it hasnt got the combi filter arrangement Robbie ?
    If not have a look behind the engine for a block with a pipe going to the orbitrol & feeding in, this will be a flow divider, they did cause this problems, I never ever come across a RV causing a steering issue on a 56 series, although thats not to say they couldn't

Still unclear ?. Where is the "sensodraulic" where I had understood the blockage was likely ?.

Robbie the very early sens o draulic systems didn't have a combi filter arrangement, on the rhs of the engine are your hydraulic filters & sens o draulic unit in one block or mounted separate ?
    The ones in one block are combi & can combine the flow of both pumps on the aux valves & main lift ( work ) lever.