Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 212

Thread: 7 th May ???

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    107

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The U.K. has a National Debt of approximately 1,482,900,000. (1trillion, 482billion, and 900million). The current population is estimated to be 64.1M people of which 65 % are reckoned to be of working age (16-64). 65% of 64.1Million people = 41million and 665thousand people of working age.

    The National debt divided by those of a working age = 350,000 each (a very rounded figure). But not all of us are working. There are some who are not working (retirees etc.) but who do pay taxes but can anyone tell me what chance there is of this country ever paying off it's debt ?

    Just asking.
    Take a less from Ireland, owe 10,000 whatever, you are a victim, owe 10,000,000 , they have to deal with you.
    even better, come over to the Republic (Res-Public) and vote "No" to same sex marriage" (more fun)
    Actually, I think that Labour and conservative in the UK is the difference between Tweedledum and tweedledum.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    961

    Re: 7 th May ???

    It's a choice between what's good for business, and what's good for the country (majority of households).....

    Take your pic!

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    12

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Think carefully about where you put your X




    Subject: Food for thought during election time


    Old Fred was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young
    pullets, and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs...
    He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and
    was replaced.
    This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to
    his roosters.
    Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which
    rooster was performing.
    Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just
    listening to the bells.
    Fred's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this
    morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!
    When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing
    pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming,
    would run for cover.
    To Fred's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't
    ring.
    He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.
    Fred was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Local Farm Show and he
    became an overnight sensation among the judges.
    The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece
    Prize", but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.
    Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician
    could work out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by
    being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them
    when they weren't paying attention.
    Vote carefully in the next election, you can't always hear the bells.


  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Angel Beach Antrim
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The U.K. has a National Debt of approximately 1,482,900,000. (1trillion, 482billion, and 900million). The current population is estimated to be 64.1M people of which 65 % are reckoned to be of working age (16-64). 65% of 64.1Million people = 41million and 665thousand people of working age.

    The National debt divided by those of a working age = 350,000 each (a very rounded figure). But not all of us are working. There are some who are not working (retirees etc.) but who do pay taxes but can anyone tell me what chance there is of this country ever paying off it's debt ?

    Just asking.
    your figure of 350k is miles out,actually one decimal point, average debt per worker is approx 33k or 15k per person in gb. personally id vote for the conservatives but on a pro europe ticket, ni politics is totally different,us against them

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: 7 th May ???

    It seems you are right but not sure how I made the mistake. But because there are a lot of people of working age but unemployed and a lot more not earning, students, the sick, etc. the figure is actually worse than that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Angel Beach Antrim
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It seems you are right but not sure how I made the mistake.
    we,ve all done it,its the decimal point and loads of 0s

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    we,ve all done it,its the decimal point and loads of 0s
    Should have Googled it in the first place

  8. #38
    Senior Member matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cornwall, SW
    Posts
    647

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by beefer View Post
    Think carefully about where you put your X




    Subject: Food for thought during election time

    Old Fred was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young
    pullets, and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs...
    He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and
    was replaced.
    This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to
    his roosters.
    Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which
    rooster was performing.
    Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just
    listening to the bells.
    Fred's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this
    morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!
    When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing
    pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming,
    would run for cover.
    To Fred's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't
    ring.
    He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.
    Fred was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Local Farm Show and he
    became an overnight sensation among the judges.
    The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece
    Prize", but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.
    Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician
    could work out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by
    being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them
    when they weren't paying attention.
    Vote carefully in the next election, you can't always hear the bells.

    Love that one. How very true.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post

    And I'm curious: is there much in the media about the centenary of the Galipolli landings? It's a circus here; the media is full of it, promoting the ANZAC "tradition".

    JV
    I was over in NSW/Victoria for the week before ANZAC day but travelled home on 25th so wasn't there on the day.
    I got the impression that it was more a public holiday type of affair and not so much about the ANZACs themselves. More about football matches than remembrance.
    We have Remembrance Sunday over here as I'm sure you know, a much more solemn affair.

    I saw a chap collecting on the pavement in Warrnambool and gave him all my coins, not a great deal but $10 or so. He gave me a badge and said you can have this. I questioned him as it said $20 on it. "No worries son, we will never sell all these".
    He only had 10 or so.
    Made me feel guilty for not giving more tbh.

    Lest we forget.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    767

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I was over in NSW/Victoria for the week before ANZAC day but travelled home on 25th so wasn't there on the day.
    I got the impression that it was more a public holiday type of affair and not so much about the ANZACs themselves. More about football matches than remembrance.
    We have Remembrance Sunday over here as I'm sure you know, a much more solemn affair.

    I saw a chap collecting on the pavement in Warrnambool and gave him all my coins, not a great deal but $10 or so. He gave me a badge and said you can have this. I questioned him as it said $20 on it. "No worries son, we will never sell all these".
    He only had 10 or so.
    Made me feel guilty for not giving more tbh.

    Lest we forget.
    I agree, Elvis. " Lest we forget" should have been the centre of our attention. Instead, our politicians spent a vast amount of money building the day up into something it should not have been (in my opinion), backed by the TV and print media.

    But then, I'm just a grumpy old man.

    JV

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: 7 th May ???

    [QUOTE=beefer;259812]Think carefully about where you put your X




    Subject: Food for thought during election time

    Old Fred was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young
    pullets, and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs...
    He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and
    was replaced.
    This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to
    his roosters.
    Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which
    rooster was performing.
    Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just
    listening to the bells.
    Fred's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this
    morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!
    When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing
    pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming,
    would run for cover.
    To Fred's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't
    ring.
    He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.
    Fred was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Local Farm Show and he
    became an overnight sensation among the judges.
    The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece
    Prize", but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.
    Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician
    could work out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by
    being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them
    when they weren't paying attention.
    Vote carefully in the next election, you can't always hear the bells.

    [/QUOTE
    And another.........
    The ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER

    Two Different Versions ... Two Different Morals


    OLD:


    The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
    The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
    Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
    The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
    MORAL OF THE OLD STORY:
    Be responsible for yourself


    MODERN:


    The ant works hard in the withering heat and the rain all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
    The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
    Come winter, the shivering grasshopper
    calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving.
    The BBC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
    Britain is stunned by the sharp contrast.
    How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?
    Kermit the Frog appears on News Night with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green ...'
    Occupy the Anthill stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film a group from the Labour Party singing, We shall overcome.
    Then Archbishop Welby has the group kneel down to pray for the grasshopper while he damns the ants.
    Ed Milliband condemns the ant and blames David Cameron, George Osborne and Margaret Thatcher, John Major et al and the Pope for the grasshopper's plight.
    Polly Toynbee and Vanessa Redgrave exclaim in an interview on BBC News that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.


    Finally the EU intervenes and drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
    The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the EU Green Czar and given to the grasshopper. The story ends as we see the grasshopper and his free-loading friends finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which, as you recall, just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn't maintain it. The ant has disappeared in the snow, never to be seen again. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and peaceful, neighbourhood. The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest of the free world with it.


    MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote.
    I've sent this to you because I believe that you are an ant not a grasshopper! Make sure that you pass this on to other ants. Don't bother sending it on to any grasshoppers because they wouldn't understand it, anyway.


  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Staffs
    Posts
    606

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Talk about short memories - none of 2001, obviously

    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10217396.html

    General Election 2015: Watch out! A vote for Labour will bring the fires of hell to Britain

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: 7 th May ???

    JFK Inagauration 1961........Part of his speech (allegedly plagiarised from his High school teacher)

    Think not what your country can do for you. ..... But what you can do for your country"

    Not bad advice leading up to the 7th....I would not include extra Tax as being something I could do for my country either!

    The country need to be a "Nation of Makers not Takers".

    I can hear the salvoes of how do you equate SFP et al , no problem......let's have food at the market price.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    south east Cambs
    Posts
    352

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I shall, as I always have done, vote Conservative on Thursday. They sure as hell don't have all the answers, and they f**k up now and again, but mostly they have ahead for business and what makes it tick. Without business doing well, there will be a drop in tax revenue, less money for the NHS and Education - and all the money spent o those two huge organisations, and others, has to raised from taxation.

    It's no good talking about 'more taxes for the rich' or 'Non-Doms' because they are people who are so rich they will just leave the country and pay their tax elsewhere; and then our taxes will have to rise to make up the shortfall. I well remember the 'dark days' of the socialist 1970's, when the basic rate of tax - yes the basic rate - was 33%. Hands up anyone who wants to pay that rate? Thought not!

    This country has become somehow indoctrinated with a huge number of 'something for nothing' people - those who think that Labour can spend money without having to worry where it is going to come from. Misguided fools!

    It looks increasingly likely that there will be no decisive outcome from Thursdays election. It is my belief that we could well have to go through the whole thing again in September. Without doubt, the Scots Nats are going to win big in Scotland - and this will give them the mandate to call for another referendum on Scottish Independence, which they will next time win. Sad as I am to say it, it is time to be pragmatic and to start talking about the splitting up of the UK - or at least Scotland becoming Independent.

    In short, it is going to be a horrendous mess on Friday morning. God help us if that fool Miliband gets elected, and God and everyone else help us if he goes into partnership, coalition, or whatever, with the Scots Nats.

    Finally, a little parable which, I believe, suits the current situation to a 'T'.

    THE TAX SYSTEMEXPLAINED IN BEER

    Suppose that everyevening, 10 men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to 100. If theypaid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this :-

    The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay 1.
    The sixth would pay 3.
    The seventh would pay 7.
    The eighth would pay 12.
    The ninth would pay 18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay 59.

    So, that's what they decided to do....... The 10 men drank in the bar every eveningand were quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner said,
    "Since you are all such good customers, I'm going to reduce the cost ofyour daily beer by 20".
    Drinks for the 10 men would now cost just 80.
    The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. Sothe first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But whatabout the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the 20windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?They realised that 20 divided by sixis 3.33. But if theysubtracted that fromeverybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up beingpaid to drink his beer.
    So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man'sbill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of thetax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts hesuggested that each should now pay.

    Therefore, the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing.
    The sixth now paid 2 instead of 3 (33% saving).
    The seventh now paid 5 instead of 7 (28% saving).
    The eighth now paid 9 instead of 12 (25% saving).
    The ninth now paid 14 instead of 18 (22% saving).
    The tenth now paid 49 instead of 59 (16% saving).


    Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued todrink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare theirsavings.

    "I only got a pound out of the 20 saving," declared the sixth man.He pointed to the tenth man,"but he got 10!"
    "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved apound too. It's unfair - he got 10 times more benefit than me!"
    "That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get 10back, when I got only 2? The wealthy always win!"
    "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn'tget anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!"

    The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

    The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down andhad their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, theydiscovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all ofthem for even half of the bill!
    And that, boys and girls, journalists, labour unions and government ministers,is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes willnaturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attackthem for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, theymight start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
    Life is a meaningless journey filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the pussy you can.

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bay Of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    127

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    And would PR produce anything better ?
    We have proportional PR here in NZ. It seems to work quite well. We don't get the extreme changes in policy that occur when the colour of government changes, which may be down to the balance that a coalition gives to the cabinet.

  16. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    We have proportional PR here in NZ. It seems to work quite well. We don't get the extreme changes in policy that occur when the colour of government changes, which may be down to the balance that a coalition gives to the cabinet.
    Awwwww c'mon you are pulling my Pony Tail!
    😉😉😉😉

  17. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bay Of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    127

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I agree, Elvis. " Lest we forget" should have been the centre of our attention. Instead, our politicians spent a vast amount of money building the day up into something it should not have been (in my opinion), backed by the TV and print media.

    But then, I'm just a grumpy old man.

    JV
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I was over in NSW/Victoria for the week before ANZAC day but travelled home on 25th so wasn't there on the day.
    I got the impression that it was more a public holiday type of affair and not so much about the ANZACs themselves. More about football matches than remembrance.
    We have Remembrance Sunday over here as I'm sure you know, a much more solemn affair.

    Lest we forget.
    Anzac day in Aus must be different to NZ. There is a public holiday on Anzac day, shops are not allowed to be open until 12:00 and the dawn services are well attended. Our local village hall was full with people of all ages. It was standing room only in the Hall with many having to stand outside. There is the Anzac day test which was played last night with the kiwis winning for the third time in a row.

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bay Of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    127

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Awwwww c'mon you are pulling my Pony Tail!
    😉😉😉😉
    Much to my surprise it does seem to work. The danger is that the extreme left or right can have the balance of power, particularly if Labour rely on support from the Greens.

  19. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I don't know Stewart. As I said, I wasn't there and so maybe it is more like yours.

  20. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Says it all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    341

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Photoshopped as even with hairspray no hair would hold that position against gravity.

    There is a Yorkshire First party here.

  22. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    north
    Posts
    255

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Photoshopped as even with hairspray no hair would hold that position against gravity.

    There is a Yorkshire First party here.
    Can't be photoshopped can it? Milliband has that quiff on nearly every vid and pic i see of him.

  23. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Can someone tell Nicola to shave that beard off please. It's wrong at every level.

  24. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    889

    Re: 7 th May ???

    [QUOTE=Gee;259835]
    Quote Originally Posted by beefer View Post
    Think carefully about where you put your X




    Subject: Food for thought during election time
    Old Fred was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young
    pullets, and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs...
    He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and
    was replaced.
    This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to
    his roosters.
    Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which
    rooster was performing.
    Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just
    listening to the bells.
    Fred's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this
    morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!
    When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing
    pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming,
    would run for cover.
    To Fred's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't
    ring.
    He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.
    Fred was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Local Farm Show and he
    became an overnight sensation among the judges.
    The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece
    Prize", but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.
    Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician
    could work out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by
    being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them
    when they weren't paying attention.
    Vote carefully in the next election, you can't always hear the bells.

    [/QUOTE
    And another.........
    The ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER
    Two Different Versions ... Two Different Morals


    OLD:


    The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
    The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
    Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
    The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
    MORAL OF THE OLD STORY:
    Be responsible for yourself


    MODERN:


    The ant works hard in the withering heat and the rain all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
    The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
    Come winter, the shivering grasshopper
    calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving.
    The BBC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
    Britain is stunned by the sharp contrast.
    How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?
    Kermit the Frog appears on News Night with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green ...'
    Occupy the Anthill stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film a group from the Labour Party singing, We shall overcome.
    Then Archbishop Welby has the group kneel down to pray for the grasshopper while he damns the ants.
    Ed Milliband condemns the ant and blames David Cameron, George Osborne and Margaret Thatcher, John Major et al and the Pope for the grasshopper's plight.
    Polly Toynbee and Vanessa Redgrave exclaim in an interview on BBC News that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.


    Finally the EU intervenes and drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
    The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the EU Green Czar and given to the grasshopper. The story ends as we see the grasshopper and his free-loading friends finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which, as you recall, just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn't maintain it. The ant has disappeared in the snow, never to be seen again. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and peaceful, neighbourhood. The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest of the free world with it.


    MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote.
    I've sent this to you because I believe that you are an ant not a grasshopper! Make sure that you pass this on to other ants. Don't bother sending it on to any grasshoppers because they wouldn't understand it, anyway.

    Gee,
    that is fantastic, thanks a lota lot
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  25. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew100 View Post
    I would question the suggestion that Churchill was at fault. The losses that the navy suffered that led to the landings and so the mass casualties was the Fault of the Navy, not the planning. The battleships followed the same route to attack the defences time and time again. This was noticed by the defenders, so overnight they laid lots of mines in the path the navy was following, sinking several ships.

    if the captains were more careful, there may never have been the disaster that Churchill was blamed. Also the head of the Navy HATED Churchill, so there was method in the madness.

    As far as May7 is concerned, there will be a minority Tory government, or a Lib Tory government again. So the mad (Ed Davey) energy policy will succeed in killing lots of people during the next cold winter. Energy policy of UKIP is probably the one thing that UKIP has spot on.
    From what little I have gathered, Churchill's original plan was delayed for too long giving the Turks the advantage plus they had quite a clever German strategist organising them, IIRR. The delays also added to the problems of supplies and health on top of everything else.

  26. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Some very good parables on here. I like the beer one. I'm a little concerned about the result on the 7th. Studying all the permutations makes me think that Cameron should be in a position to try and form a government. I was a bit freaked by Portillo on This Week suggesting that he thought Milliband would be forming a govt. I like Portillo and respect his opinion so this scared the crap out of me. Surely we can't have those 2 prize idiots and the SNP running the UK? If so, we deserve everything we get.

    SNP fair enough. I have respect for their views and if the Scots want to leave, if they truly and democratically do, then there isn't a lot the rest of us can do about it. I hope they don't ever do it. But the SNP having a major role in the govt of the whole UK? Hmmm. I suppose there is no reason why not other than that they are the party who want to break the union. Other than that fact, I would have no issue with a Scottish only party having a representative stake in the UK govt.

    I have my own version of the cockerel story.

    A man was walking through the desert with 2 young chickens, a male (cock) and a female (pullet). Soon enough he met a young lady who was struggling to make her primitive looking donkey move.

    'What kind of donkey is that?' he asked?
    'It's an ass' she replied. 'A very stubborn one at that'.
    'Where are you going?' asked the man.
    'To sell him at market, but he won't move' she replied.
    'Can't you make him move?' the man asked?
    'Father says if you slap him, he will walk but I am not strong enough' she answered.

    The man thought for a second. He looked at the chickens he was carrying and then at the young lady and an idea came into his head.

    'How about this?' he suggested. 'You hold my cock and pullet while I slap your ass'.

    The rest is history.

  27. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,449

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Some very good parables on here. I like the beer one. I'm a little concerned about the result on the 7th. Studying all the permutations makes me think that Cameron should be in a position to try and form a government. I was a bit freaked by Portillo on This Week suggesting that he thought Milliband would be forming a govt. I like Portillo and respect his opinion so this scared the crap out of me. Surely we can't have those 2 prize idiots and the SNP running the UK? If so, we deserve everything we get.

    SNP fair enough. I have respect for their views and if the Scots want to leave, if they truly and democratically do, then there isn't a lot the rest of us can do about it. I hope they don't ever do it. But the SNP having a major role in the govt of the whole UK? Hmmm. I suppose there is no reason why not other than that they are the party who want to break the union. Other than that fact, I would have no issue with a Scottish only party having a representative stake in the UK govt.

    .
    Deborah Orr speaking on Radio 4's vote now show made some astute points about Sturgeon and her apparent success:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s3sth

    19 minutes in if you want to cut to the chase.

    Essentially, people like her because they think she's sincere and authentic and not playing politics like all the other, er, politicians, but of course when she says labour are shit, vote SNP in scotland, she can't seriously expect that labour will then welcome her into a coalition govt with open arms.So, when she says publicly, labour, why don't you want to play with us? either she genuinely doesn't realise why, in which case, she's an idiot, or she does realise why but says it anyway, and is hence playing politics after all.

    She probably isn't an idiot, so sooner or later the scots are going to wake up to the fact that she and the SNP are just as devious and self serving as all the rest of them.

    In the meantime she's in a position where she can't lose. either the SNP get to exert influence on a minority labour govt, or we have situation where scotland is predominantly SNP but the UK govt is tory,thus strengthening their argument for independence.

  28. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Deborah Orr speaking on Radio 4's vote now show made some astute points about Sturgeon and her apparent success:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s3sth

    19 minutes in if you want to cut to the chase.

    Essentially, people like her because they think she's sincere and authentic and not playing politics like all the other, er, politicians, but of course when she says labour are shit, vote SNP in scotland, she can't seriously expect that labour will then welcome her into a coalition govt with open arms.So, when she says publicly, labour, why don't you want to play with us? either she genuinely doesn't realise why, in which case, she's an idiot, or she does realise why but says it anyway, and is hence playing politics after all.

    She probably isn't an idiot, so sooner or later the scots are going to wake up to the fact that she and the SNP are just as devious and self serving as all the rest of them.

    In the meantime she's in a position where she can't lose. either the SNP get to exert influence on a minority labour govt, or we have situation where scotland is predominantly SNP but the UK govt is tory,thus strengthening their argument for independence.
    Just wonder how SNP Scotland actually is?
    Not very fashionable to tell someone that you are not voting SNP if you live in Scotland, unless you want your windows put in!
    Until this morning I have never heard anyone on National Media say that they did not want an SNP MP, a lady in the Borders...David Steels old area.....she was speculating that it was very difficult to tactically vote to make sure that the SNP were not elected. From what I can gather Scotland experiences huge amounts of tactical voting...perhaps even on a par with genuine votes in some areas.
    It is difficult to believe that the Media failed to find anyone in the whole of Scotland that were not voting SNP all we heard was SNP landslide!
    The Soaring membership of SNP is perhaps another dubious factor......more a crystallisation of existing support rather than half the population deciding to suddenly sign up as a fee paying member of SNP.
    All of these could play a significant part in the election result.
    Perhaps in a way weak governments without the power to steamroller their idealistic views through would be a more acceptable way forward.

  29. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    961

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Scotland - careful what you ask for, you might just get it!

  30. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,449

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Just wonder how SNP Scotland actually is?
    Not very fashionable to tell someone that you are not voting SNP if you live in Scotland, unless you want your windows put in!
    Until this morning I have never heard anyone on National Media say that they did not want an SNP MP, a lady in the Borders...David Steels old area.....she was speculating that it was very difficult to tactically vote to make sure that the SNP were not elected. From what I can gather Scotland experiences huge amounts of tactical voting...perhaps even on a par with genuine votes in some areas.
    It is difficult to believe that the Media failed to find anyone in the whole of Scotland that were not voting SNP all we heard was SNP landslide!
    The Soaring membership of SNP is perhaps another dubious factor......more a crystallisation of existing support rather than half the population deciding to suddenly sign up as a fee paying member of SNP.
    All of these could play a significant part in the election result.
    Perhaps in a way weak governments without the power to steamroller their idealistic views through would be a more acceptable way forward.

    Well quite. There was a small piece in the last private eye which suggested that salmond might not win his seat as expected because there are so many people who dislike him and will effectively vote against him, ie vote tactically to stop him getting in, to me this seems unlikely, but one can but hope....

    The SNP appear to have had an extended honeymoon period, I'm astonished at the number of otherwise intelligent people of my acquaintance who think the SNP are a great bunch of lads based on little more than hope value. what concerns me is that as the independence vote demonstrated there's a pretty even split in the population, and the SNP, who are no more than a tartan UKIP, are stirring up divisive nationalism, we could ultimately end up with the sort of violent sectarianism that we saw in Northern Ireland for many years.

    One can only hope that the upshot of their likely success at this election will be that when they get some of what they want people will see them for what they are and what they actually deliver when they can't simply blame the english anymore.

    There's a similar amount of optimism and hope attached to the SNP as was attached to Blair prior to his 1997 election victory. look how that worked out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •