Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 212

Thread: 7 th May ???

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Well quite. There was a small piece in the last private eye which suggested that salmond might not win his seat as expected because there are so many people who dislike him and will effectively vote against him, ie vote tactically to stop him getting in, to me this seems unlikely, but one can but hope....

    The SNP appear to have had an extended honeymoon period, I'm astonished at the number of otherwise intelligent people of my acquaintance who think the SNP are a great bunch of lads based on little more than hope value. what concerns me is that as the independence vote demonstrated there's a pretty even split in the population, and the SNP, who are no more than a tartan UKIP, are stirring up divisive nationalism, we could ultimately end up with the sort of violent sectarianism that we saw in Northern Ireland for many years.

    One can only hope that the upshot of their likely success at this election will be that when they get some of what they want people will see them for what they are and what they actually deliver when they can't simply blame the english anymore.

    There's a similar amount of optimism and hope attached to the SNP as was attached to Blair prior to his 1997 election victory. look how that worked out.
    Spoke last Autumn to some true Scots(Inverness and North) post failed independence.
    Interesting to hear they had exactly the same view of the Edinburgh / Glasgow political elite (bunch of crooked lawyers and **********) As the Edinburgh / Glasgow elite have of the Westminster elite.

  2. #62
    Senior Member LALANS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Scotland, land of the free home of the brave
    Posts
    391

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Spoke last Autumn to some true Scots(Inverness and North) post failed independence.
    Interesting to hear they had exactly the same view of the Edinburgh / Glasgow political elite (bunch of crooked lawyers and **********) As the Edinburgh / Glasgow elite have of the Westminster elite.
    I take it a true Scot is restricted to only those countrymen of mine whose views agree with yours.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I dont understand why any Scotsman woukd vote against independance and then go on to vote for the SNP. If you ask only people living in England should be able to determine who ends up in Westminster, I dont get to vote who governs NI or Wales.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    838

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    only people living in England should be able to determine who ends up in Westminster, I dont get to vote who governs NI or Wales.
    You seem a bit delusional about what this election is for. Westminster is the UK parliament, not the English parliament.

  5. #65
    Senior Member nivilla1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Outside Omagh-Northern Ireland
    Posts
    154

    Re: 7 th May ???

    The UK needs a federal structure. Some form of English devolution/self government is needed with Westminster responsible for matters affecting all 4 home nations.
    The people of NI don't really get to determine their government just the order in which the 4/5 parties sit round the executive table.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    I take it a true Scot is restricted to only those countrymen of mine whose views agree with yours.
    Nope it's the ones I met purely random

  7. #67
    Senior Member b slicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    998

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Nicola keeps threatening that she will be in control if labour forms a Government.

    But she is not elected to the Commons, so won't they just tell her to mind her own business and go away.: undecided:

    And if labour is elected, what might happen to the value of the against the Euro?

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    185

    Re: 7 th May ???

    As I understand it. SNPs in this election will sit in the Commons. She's their boss

    MSPs stand in separate elections.

    pound/euro

    unsettled in the short term, slow decline long term. Unless Eurozone collapses. Race to the bottom

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I have no desire to see any federal form of government, and I don't care where the UK government is based. I don't want a Welsh assembly or one for Scotland or one for Cornwall or anywhere else. I do not want huge collections of public servants sat in ivory towers which my tax dollars must fund, the cost of all these petty palaces must be astronomical, and any law for the UK must be applied and enforced equally throughout the whole country. If any region can't live with that they are welcome by me to get the hell out of it and go independent and sever all ties with the UK exchequer, but none of them are that brave or daft.

    You need only examine the US political system to see how mental such an idea is.

    Anyway, I still do not understand why anyone would vote for that vapid B4*ch Sturgeon, she is a sneering politico of the same ilk as Hazel Blears and Harman, I don't see why Scots would vote against independence and then go on to vote for the SNP. That is double dutch by anyones measure.

    In my view, you are either voting for or against Miliband. Personally I think he lacks the charisma to be the leader of this country, who he would put into the cabinet I dread to think, is anyone going to be stupid enough to vote Labour in after the complete mess they left after the last lot.

    With a bit of luck it will end in a Conservative-UKIP and Lib Dem pact. We will get our EU referendum and get out of that shower of sh1t forthwith. Of course an exit from the EU would be wholly detrimental to farming as the CAP would be the first thing that disappeared, but at a national level, we would be better off out of it.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,327

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I don't agree with some of the stuff that you write UW4MN but that post equates to exactly how I feel.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: 7 th May ???

    In my view Tony Blair made 2 critical mistakes in his tenure.

    1. Virtually open access to tertiary education- we have created legions of graduates at great cost, little of it will ever be paid back, and the economy has no use for 50% of all new grads.

    2. Swelling the public sector to gain votes. The pension liabilities of this mass of people will drag this country along for decades.

    I still do not see how Labour could leave this country in such a sh1t state given that they had 15 years of nearly unprecedented economic growth, steps made years ago under Thatcher and Ken Clarke proved fruitful, somehow Blair still managed to funk it up.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    186

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Simples.........Spend, spend, spend.............its the Labour way always has been always will be!!

    SNP are just old Labour with a flag......... were deep in debt but they want more debt.........more freebies for their supporters, lots of them moan and groan but people in England don't get half the perks.

    Plenty of us dislike them but they have one party to support were all a bit split up.

    Now which politician do think her supporters would think gets paid 2600 per week and rising also parents got a government discount to buy their house.

    Dave or a Tory no doubt but NO its the Nippy wifey her self,

    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...icola-sturgeon

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ege-today.html

    Some of there dirty tricks seems they were SNP people after all, now there's a surprise

    http://glasgowunihumanrights.blogspo...sturgeons.html

    Don't be fooled by this lot breaking up Great Britain is the plan!

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Looks like a rough bunch o tramps to me. It kind of does sound reminiscent of the late twenties when the Nazi party went around muscling in on meetings with aggressive and threatening behaviour.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    346

    Re: 7 th May ???

    To me it would be interesting whichever party gets in if their leader lost his/her seat.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,914

    Re: 7 th May ???

    The Day of reconning is here - put your X in the right box or forever hold your peace ?

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Listening this morning to the Grexit Saga.
    A crafty Geek Politico putting the case for Greece more or less walking away from the debt and just carrying on with the rest of us paying the bills.
    Struck me........three examples of the Magic Money tree system...
    Greece, fully developed.
    France, Work in Progress.

    and
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Ed Miliband's crew! Ready to start SPENDING!!!!!!!

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: 7 th May ???

    I wonder if there is ever much point in election campaigning. I know I have my mind made up long before the campaign starts.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid Ulster
    Posts
    205

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    I wonder if there is ever much point in election campaigning. I know I have my mind made up long before the campaign starts.
    In NI you generally have your mind made up when your born

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    866

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Bankville View Post
    In NI you generally have your mind made up when your born
    😱😱😁😁😁

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Yes well that is funny, well done you!

    OK, I was really referring to the mainland context.

  21. #81
    Senior Member b slicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    998

    Re: 7 th May ???

    A man whose mind is changed against his will is of the same opinion still.

    Who said that, apart from me just now

    I think it's fair to say that if we are staunch supporters of a particular party, we tend not to listen to the opposition.

    I've just Googled the quote, and came up with the following observation:

    Why prove to a man he is wrong? Is that going to make him like you? Why not let him save face? He didn't ask for your opinion. He didn't want it. Why argue with him? You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior, you hurt his pride, insult his intelligence, his judgment, and his self-respect, and he'll resent your triumph. That will make him strike back, but it will never make him want to change his mind. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

  22. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Glamorgan
    Posts
    60

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I have no desire to see any federal form of government, and I don't care where the UK government is based. I don't want a Welsh assembly or one for Scotland or one for Cornwall or anywhere else. I do not want huge collections of public servants sat in ivory towers which my tax dollars must fund, the cost of all these petty palaces must be astronomical, and any law for the UK must be applied and enforced equally throughout the whole country. If any region can't live with that they are welcome by me to get the hell out of it and go independent and sever all ties with the UK exchequer, but none of them are that brave or daft.

    You need only examine the US political system to see how mental such an idea is.

    Anyway, I still do not understand why anyone would vote for that vapid B4*ch Sturgeon, she is a sneering politico of the same ilk as Hazel Blears and Harman, I don't see why Scots would vote against independence and then go on to vote for the SNP. That is double dutch by anyones measure.

    In my view, you are either voting for or against Miliband. Personally I think he lacks the charisma to be the leader of this country, who he would put into the cabinet I dread to think, is anyone going to be stupid enough to vote Labour in after the complete mess they left after the last lot.

    With a bit of luck it will end in a Conservative-UKIP and Lib Dem pact. We will get our EU referendum and get out of that shower of sh1t forthwith. Of course an exit from the EU would be wholly detrimental to farming as the CAP would be the first thing that disappeared, but at a national level, we would be better off out of it.

    +1 with knobs on!
    A very succinct summary of the situation.
    Lets just hope it all happens.

  23. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Could it be that there will soon be less Labour MP's in Scotland than there are Giant Pandas?

  24. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: 7 th May ???

    No more labour majorities in my life time. Never thought I'd see the day.

  25. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Early talk usually counts on election night and Labour are on the defensive. Let's hope it is borne out.

  26. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Looks like a rough bunch o tramps to me. It kind of does sound reminiscent of the late twenties when the Nazi party went around muscling in on meetings with aggressive and threatening behaviour.
    The Nazis you say? funny you should mention them....

    http://ianssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2014...nd-others.html

    Apparently some of the SNP founders were of the opinion that the Nazis were a great bunch of lads.

  27. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Early talk usually counts on election night and Labour are on the defensive. Let's hope it is borne out.
    If the polls are correct then the lib dems could be down to 10 seats, and the tories will still not have an overall majority so do the tories go for minority govt, with a possible 50+ block of scot nats to contend with? go for coalition with the DUP? thankfully UKIP look set to get no more than two seats with strong indications that Farage and Reckless are going to lose so they won't be in the running as coalition partners.

    Anyway, if Farage loses and Ed Balls, George Galloway and nick clegg are out too, I'm a celebrity, get me out of here should be interesting this year.

  28. #88
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: 7 th May ???


    Respect
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  29. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    If the polls are correct then the lib dems could be down to 10 seats, and the tories will still not have an overall majority so do the tories go for minority govt, with a possible 50+ block of scot nats to contend with? go for coalition with the DUP? thankfully UKIP look set to get no more than two seats with strong indications that Farage and Reckless are going to lose so they won't be in the running as coalition partners.

    Anyway, if Farage loses and Ed Balls, George Galloway and nick clegg are out too, I'm a celebrity, get me out of here should be interesting this year.
    Ed Balls is certainly out. He's been Portillo'd. Good. I think in the end it came down to personalities. Those 2 clowns at the top of the labour party just didn't look like leaders of a world power. Nice to see the South west swathed in blue so far.

  30. #90
    Senior Member LALANS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Scotland, land of the free home of the brave
    Posts
    391

    Re: 7 th May ???

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    The Nazis you say? funny you should mention them....

    http://ianssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2014...nd-others.html

    Apparently some of the SNP founders were of the opinion that the Nazis were a great bunch of lads.
    You really should check your facts. I personally knew William Wolfe and I can assure you the article you have posted is false and pure fiction.
    If you want to witch hunt Nazi sympathisers look no further than the British Establishment.
    Before posting such tripe please engage your brain first and check your facts.
    Far too much is being based on the adage of 'never let the truth stand in the way of a good story'
    FYI the casualty rate for Scots soldiers in both world wars was higher than the British average so do not dare attempt to besmear the memory of those of our nation who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •