Thread: CAP Reform disaster for small tenants - in Scottish Papers

Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

CAP Reform disaster for small tenants - in Scottish Papers

I feel that the new CAP reform has just turned in to a subsidy on Land Ownership and nothing to do with agricultural activity or production. We are creating a whole new generation of SLIPPER FARMERS. Is this happening outside of Scotland too - I would like to hear your comments.

The Scottish Rural Minister has been in touch with my via Facebook and has said he is looking in to it but I am not convinced he will change anything ?
    CAP Reform Letter 15APR15 forFarming Press
    Dear Editor
    I am extremely worried about thecurrent CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) reforms and confess to not being ableto understand their full impact or where to find that information. Everythingseems to change by the week and the information from Scotgov and everybody elseis not great at all when so much depends on it.
    Also two of my landlords who seemto have taken advice from SGRPID and the SAC/SRUC Advisory Service have justinformed me I can no longer put land I rent from them on my SAF / IACS form for2015. Unfortunately almost all “my land” is made up of long term annual seasonalgrazing leases, which I think is fundamentally wrong anyway and proves thesystem does not work. It excludes me from many things like SRDP, but worst ofall any form of security, when will the government realise this? There will beno buoyant tenant sector till this is resolved.
    Now a small Estate at Newtonmore,only yesterday, informed me that although I could still keep my grazing, thelandlord now wanted to put it on his SAF form and that SFP and LFAS would nolonger be mine to claim - our family have been renting on this estatealmost continuously on seasonal typeletssince the 1930's when mygrandfather took over the tenancy of the neighbouring Banchor Mains Farm in 1928.
    Also at the end of last week Iwas informed the same by another small Estate near Aviemore where we have hadseasonal lets for over 30 years on their farm. They have now put in a “newentrant” from their own family instead. So that land has been lost too, butthey still want us to graze it.
    The first reaction I got theother night on talking to a local agri-advisor is that the current CAP Reformsinstead of improving things for small unsecured tenants like ourselves, it isin fact making it much worse and we are creating a whole new generation ofSLIPPER FARMERS. Strangely enough it was at a local heritage meeting about thehighland clearances and the persecution of farming tenants on a local estatehere - Invershie – that I heard the news, and one could only think that here weare over 160 years later and poor farming tenants have no more security nowthan back then and are only treated marginally better. I wonder is Canada is still taking migrants?
    I am very lucky that farming isnot my only livelihood, it never could be the way we are treated by landlordswith so much insecurity. In the immediate locality I know of two tenants whohave lost their farms this year already, as landlords take the farming enterprisesback in hand I assume to benefit from these newCAP REFORMS and unfortunately for them they and their families rely onagriculture much more than I do.
    Can I please ask your readershipwhat I should do now? How am I supposed to be able to find enough land toclaim my current SFP and the LFAS I have beenhistorically claiming, or can this be consolidated back on to much less land area?I only have about 10 HA that is actually on any kind of longer tenancy, andthat is only a 15 year LDT after another larger Highland landlord talked us outof an 80 year old full tenancy on threats of eviction etc. - it is not a happy climate at all.
    I have written to SGRPID andSAC/SRUC this week for more information and to raise these issues and I beganybody who can to take this subject up to ministerial level because I know Icannot be the only person receiving these bombshells at this hard time.
    Yours etc
    Ruaridh Ormiston (OrmistonHighlands – Newtonmore)

Some pictures from the two farms I have lost ground on this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: CAP Reform disaster for small tenants - in Scottish Papers

I lost my fbt because landlord wanted the area payment . The farm is contract farmed now . I was in the farm 17 years

Its happened to two friends of mine too within only a few miles - one on the 1992 limited partnership agreement and the other on an SDT - both out and farmless ?

Out if interest as anybody had any help from the NFU on this subject ?
    They have not replied to my emails at all ?
    What exactly do we pay our membership for ?

The new President hasn't yet made any impact.

We need a Clive Jenkins (who can remember him) to grasp SGRIPD (or whatever they are calling themselves today) by the throat and make them see
    sense. The whole thing is a complete mess. It has reached the stage where drastic remedial action is needed.

It is terrible that Scotgov and SGRPID had a chance to get it so right and initially were saying all the right things however as time has gone on they have removed all the measures that would have ensured the scheme would not be abused by landlords over the rights of the actual farmers on the ground and to be honest it is flawed on so many levels - in fact of Joe Public new the truth about it all they would refuse to pay their taxes to feather the nests of landowners ???

ALL THIS WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE BRIAN PACK ENQUIRY REPORT IN TO THE FUTURE OF SCOTTISH AGRICULTURE BUT WAS IGNORED ??

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingru...forceupdate/on

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

The entire CAP Policy is as some would say 'not fit for purpose'.
    Why are we paying the biggest farmers on the best land the highest payments? It will simply lead to a clearance of smaller farmers on poorer land or in the case of tenants eviction by the back door as landlords seek with the help from smart arse agents to maximise their theft from the public purse.
    Agricultural subsidies were to compensate for the disadvantages of farming poor marginal land. Madness.
    As for the SNFU. Do not hold your breath, some of the reasons for the mess can be laid at their door. I cancelled my membership 2 years ago and I get more benefit from spending the save subscription on a holiday than I ever got through my membership. Numpties or self serving twats everyone.
    Another nail in the coffin of the smaller farmer. RIP

Well said LALANS - I think you hit the nail on the head.

Less and less support for the genuine "Less Favoured Areas" as all the money is sucked off to those that need it least !