Thread: Recommend a solar installer please?

Recommend a solar installer please?

Can anyone recommend a good solar p v installer in Scotland or North England, please? We want panels on the byre roof. I've asked around the area & companies seem to come & go like mushrooms. Looking for one that will be around long enough for guarantees to be worth something.
    Thanks.

Re: Recommend a solar installer please?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good solar p v installer in Scotland or North England, please? We want panels on the byre roof. I've asked around the area & companies seem to come & go like mushrooms. Looking for one that will be around long enough for guarantees to be worth something.
    Thanks.
    Sorry, you're a bit too far from me to recommend anyone in this area, but I wouldn't like to be sure they'll still be around in 5 years time anyway. To be honest, the panels themselves are very reliable indeed if you buy any of the better known brands. Inverters are not quite so good, but I think Fronius, SMA, and maybe one or two of the other makers give a 5 year extendable warranty. It isn't a big job to remove a failed inverter and put a service-exchange unit in, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    Sorry, you're a bit too far from me to recommend anyone in this area, but I wouldn't like to be sure they'll still be around in 5 years time anyway. To be honest, the panels themselves are very reliable indeed if you buy any of the better known brands. Inverters are not quite so good, but I think Fronius, SMA, and maybe one or two of the other makers give a 5 year extendable warranty. It isn't a big job to remove a failed inverter and put a service-exchange unit in, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Thank you, that's useful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Thank you, that's useful advice.
    Yep, we had a Power One inverter (now bought out by ABB) go pop after 18 months; the service exchange resulted in half of the unit being returned to ABB whilst we kept the "clever" bit with digital display etc on it. Power One had a huge batch of them go pop at a very similar time as the Fed Ex man that arranged transport knew all about the issue, he said they'd shipped loads of them to Italy and back. From our experience I'd agree with RGSP, there will be a fair shake-out of solar installers over the next few years and I'd guess a lot won't be there in the future.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Yep, we had a Power One inverter (now bought out by ABB) go pop after 18 months; the service exchange resulted in half of the unit being returned to ABB whilst we kept the "clever" bit with digital display etc on it. Power One had a huge batch of them go pop at a very similar time as the Fed Ex man that arranged transport knew all about the issue, he said they'd shipped loads of them to Italy and back. From our experience I'd agree with RGSP, there will be a fair shake-out of solar installers over the next few years and I'd guess a lot won't be there in the future.
    Can you recommend a solar installer please Foxbox, ours have a string not working. The installer has gone bust & their replacement company aren't very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    Can you recommend a solar installer please Foxbox, ours have a string not working. The installer has gone bust & their replacement company aren't very interested.
    I'll PM you Roger, we've got a guy who knows his stuff but doesn't really do time management very well
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk