Thread: how do you value crimped barley?

how do you value crimped barley?

i have bought a good tonnage of barley off the field to crimp this summer! there will be no weigh bridge, just an estimate of weight through filling 8 and 10 tonne trailers. i will pay what the market price is at the time for dry barley. do i take the moisture % out of that price as it will be about 25 -30%????? or what is the best way to work it out????

Re: how do you value crimped barley?

Is there a weigh bridge close enough to weigh at least one trailer load? A load of wet grain will weigh a lot less than you might imagine.
    The grains bulk density at different moisture levelsvaried from 714.33 to 660.41 kg/m3 (P<0.05), whichindicates a decrease in bulk density with an increase inmoisture content from 7.34% to 21.58% (d.b.)

Dont forget they are not incurring drying costs so they are quids in. Barley is worth what? It is still around 100?

I think you need to weigh some of it too are you could end up buying moisture.

Wet grain won't flatten out in the trailer like dry grain does.

And how is the trailer capacity calculated? Is it calculated with dry grain filled to the brim.

I wouldn't be surprised if grain at 24% moisture in a full 8t trailer weighs no more than 6t.

And a tonne of grain at 24% will only weigh 900kg when dried to 16%. A fair price would be 90%
    of the ex-farm price for dried grain

You need to, at least, weigh one load as a starting point for any calculations, or you might as well sign a blank cheque and tell them to fill in what they want.

Do you have (or could borrow) a mixer wagon? You could put one load through, just to use the weigh cells.
    Last edited by MC130; 30-04-15 at 01:44 PM. Reason: My English teacher was spinning in his grave