Thread: Printers

Printers

Looking for a combo printer...
    90% of the use is straight forward B/W text printing with the odd colour picture or two, nice to have reasonable quality pics but not intending to be really getting stuck in.
    Apple AirPrint would be a must.
    Prefer individual ink cartridges to help with ink economy. Seen some with up to six cartridges.
    Cost of cartridges is also a major factor, never got on well with the fakes or same as........prefer to use genuine cartridges.
    Looked at Laser ???? Seems pricey to get the occasional colour print or two......Space issue with having two printers.
    Main use will be Printing Text and scanning Docs.
    What's your favourite?
    gee

Re: Printers

There might be a free printer to suit you here...... http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/

Only ever had one rogue cartridge from them in 8 years and it was replaced overnight without having to send the faulty one back
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Just bought one of these

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/print...-x476dw-review

They aren't cheap but it is excellent output and quality. Its revolutionised slow ink jet printing i used to endure. VERY highly recommended.

Morning G

U sure you are still following the 'Black and White Stripes'?

What do you mean by 'combo'??

I have a Brother printer, scanner, fax - cheap cartridges and works ok

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    Morning G

U sure you are still following the 'Black and White Stripes'?

What do you mean by 'combo'??

I have a Brother printer, scanner, fax - cheap cartridges and works ok
    Printer....Scanner.....with Apple AirPrint.
    No need for Fax.
    Which model of Brother do you have?
    Red and White stripes are causing me most grief at the moment!

Pretty sure all that is wrong with existing Epson is Print heads have dried out due to standing for a few weeks doing nothing.....but having used half a full reserve of ink in each cartridge trying to get it going I will soon have spent more on ink than I can buy a printer for.

G

I have a Brother MFC5490CN
    The N stands for Network, meaning that it plugs into the router and the wireless network connection is made through the router.
    It works fine for us for what we want - always buy compatible cartridges which are a couple of quid each.

We still use the fax occasionally - sent one to AMC last week asking to be removed from their mailing list (as it's now nearly 8 years since we stopped farming)

A lot of printers use some kind of chip and software recognition thingy in their cartridges now, so even if the non-genuine cartridges fit perfectly, the printer knows and wont print using them. Bit of a pain.

Tried the non gens......utter disaster, still have the rest on the shelf. Ended up mopping ink up out of the printer innards, never thought there was that much ink in a cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Tried the non gens......utter disaster, still have the rest on the shelf. Ended up mopping ink up out of the printer innards, never thought there was that much ink in a cartridge.
    Had cartridge world inkjets do that 10 years ago - Laser uses powder and seems much more reliable although I do think that regular use (we get through a ream of paper most weeks) keeps things in good order.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Picked up a Brother MFC-J4420 from a friends work the other week (no longer required despite only being 3 months old) which seems ok. It came with 3 new cartridges. 7 month old border terrier found the blue one. Result was tracking dog round was easy due to blue paw prints and dog had lovely blue rinse round his muzzle

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

I've had all in one's from canon, brother, hp and a couple of others fail very early in the last ten years or so.All in one build quality seems rubbish regardless of the make so I've gone back to a standalone simple and cheap printer in a dell c1760nw and so far it's been fantastic. The best feature is the rocker switch that turns it off automatically after whatever time I set, no more wasting power in standby. I also bought a rather dear but impressive scansnap IX500 for scanning and it's a revelation in simplicity and build quality plus it's very fast so you actually don't mind scanning things but the price reflects it I'm afraid but you do get some fairly expensive software. I'll be hard to persuade to ever waste my money on an all in one again especially a canon who were downright unhelpful. If the Dell dies it's no big loss wheras the Canon cost a small fortune and then developed an error code on boot up just out of warranty and the so and so's wouldn't even tell me what the code meant.