Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tame lambs!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Dartmoor
    Posts
    277

    Tame lambs!

    Why do they do it? - you look after them beter than your own children, fed on an adlib warm milk system, healthy, playing, feeding, done for cocci, 5 weeks on, ready for weaning, eating creep, making sure they have forage, milk and creep, not too much and try not to fill it up the same time as the milk - and one has popped her clogs!
    When I cut her open, her guts were all full of gas, along the whole tract. Milk in the abomasum. No symptoms of any illness.
    Do you think it was gasses (didn't even looked bloated before I cut her open) built up by fermentation? too much haylage, milk and creep - rich living? or e-coli?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    296

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Tame lambs=waste of time

    Sell as orphans is the quickest and best bet in my opinion ----(i'm sure many will disagree as most farmers seem to love messing around and wasting their time on pointless and unprofitable exercises of one sort or another)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nithsdale Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dumfries-shire
    Posts
    470

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Tame lambs=waste of time

    Sell as orphans is the quickest and best bet in my opinion ----(i'm sure many will disagree as most farmers seem to love messing around and wasting their time on pointless and unprofitable exercises of one sort or another)

    I shouldnt - but i did laugh reading the brackets......

    Anyways +1, they are a waste of time and never return a profit.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

  4. #4
    Senior Member ladycrofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    661

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Could it have been something twsited in the digestive tract?

    A big poo poo to the time wasting I saved one years back, a limp frozen little rag with legs that didn't want to unfold, mom had taken off after the twin. Every year she has twins and looks like again this year.

    But I agree they are a lot of work and bottle feeding.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The heart of Scotland
    Posts
    125

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Feed cold milk and kick them outside as soon as possible.

  6. #6
    Senior Member andybk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mendips Somerset
    Posts
    322

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksitis View Post
    Why do they do it? - you look after them beter than your own children, fed on an adlib warm milk system, healthy, playing, feeding, done for cocci, 5 weeks on, ready for weaning, eating creep, making sure they have forage, milk and creep, not too much and try not to fill it up the same time as the milk - and one has popped her clogs!
    When I cut her open, her guts were all full of gas, along the whole tract. Milk in the abomasum. No symptoms of any illness.
    Do you think it was gasses (didn't even looked bloated before I cut her open) built up by fermentation? too much haylage, milk and creep - rich living? or e-coli?
    its called red gut (do a google search ) its when protien from feed is in the intestines (soya is the worse) , the lamb then drinks warm milk which by passes the rumen by the esophigal grove , and ends up in the intestine with the milk , which then ferments ,nowhere for gas to go it blows up and stops the heart , you must get lambs onto COLD milk asap as its not so palatable , and watch protien feeds also lambs picking bits from ewe troughs , if the lamb looks full miss the feed or give just a taste . abrupt weaning if eating creep ok , better check growth of the lamb than have a dead one .another tip is yeast in the lamb creep help remove some gas
    cut your lamb open and i bet intestines are bright red .

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Dartmoor
    Posts
    277

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Did cut the lamb open, have some pictures of the gut and yes they were bright red.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by andybk View Post
    its called red gut (do a google search ) its when protien from feed is in the intestines (soya is the worse) , the lamb then drinks warm milk which by passes the rumen by the esophigal grove , and ends up in the intestine with the milk , which then ferments ,nowhere for gas to go it blows up and stops the heart , you must get lambs onto COLD milk asap as its not so palatable , and watch protien feeds also lambs picking bits from ewe troughs , if the lamb looks full miss the feed or give just a taste . abrupt weaning if eating creep ok , better check growth of the lamb than have a dead one .another tip is yeast in the lamb creep help remove some gas
    cut your lamb open and i bet intestines are bright red .
    +1 An old shepherd once told me that it was a sign that he should have weaned them the day before. I think he was about right.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Castle Douglas
    Posts
    6

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh3pherdess View Post
    Feed cold milk and kick them outside as soon as possible.


    does this work for teenage sons as well??

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh3pherdess View Post
    Feed cold milk and kick them outside as soon as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madup@2.15am View Post
    does this work for teenage sons as well??
    Doesn't work with early lambs either. My December born lambs are still waiting for some grass to go out to, whilst my Feb born ones went out and have come back in again. Every tiny spare blade of grass is reserved for lambing ewes at the moment.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The heart of Scotland
    Posts
    125

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Madup@2.15am View Post
    does this work for teenage sons as well??

    I haven't got a teenage son so I couldn't comment. Have never had red gut before and had a lot of it last year and its the first time I have had pets inside - never again!

  12. #12
    Senior Member ladycrofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    661

    Re: Tame lambs!

    How soon can they start really digesting grass? I've got 2-wk-old twins in a small fox-proof paddock (a tiny bit of grass growth in it) with shelter, each getting 0.75 -1 litre milk per day each. They have been on 3-4 feeds/day but next Monday will need go to 2 mainfeeds with maybe a top-up late at night when I do my last rounds. I am inclined not to increase the quantity of milk, and after all this talk of red-gut, don't really want to go onto creep so soon.

    I also do not creep feed lambs so at some point the creep would need to stop.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    159

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Tame lambs=waste of time

    Sell as orphans is the quickest and best bet in my opinion ----(i'm sure many will disagree as most farmers seem to love messing around and wasting their time on pointless and unprofitable exercises of one sort or another)
    +1 get them gone asap put cash in a pot and take lambing help out for a drink with it
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: Tame lambs!

    I did hear a way of stopping Redgut the other day. Apparently, if you mix yeast with the milk powder it stops it happening. The idea makes sense, but has anyone tried it? Any success?
    Last edited by NeilO; 22-04-13 at 08:33 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member JohnGalway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Connemara, Ireland.
    Posts
    281

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    +1 An old shepherd once told me that it was a sign that he should have weaned them the day before. I think he was about right.
    Hindsight down to a fine art

    Interesting thread, I'm in the sell them ASAP camp.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Dartmoor
    Posts
    277

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Good news - after the loss to Redgut, I weaned anything of a decent size, next bunch now weaned and two more lots need a couple of weeks, but at the mo no more losses. Am very careful with the creep - it is not ad lib for any of them, they are fed, with ad lib hay.
    What any producer decides to do it is their choice, sadly here we have our heart, not alway our head in charge!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    372

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Talking tame lambs to an uncle the other day, he recalled picking up a pair of 2 week old lambs when their mother died. 1 took to the bottle, the other wouldn't, despite protracted efforts, and only ate creep. He said in the autumn there was no difference between those lambs!

    On a related issue - at what age do people leave them to fend for themselves if mother dies? Thought about it yesterday when the lamb of a ewe I knew to be a bit rough was running round looking for her. Turned out she was ok, but in the mean time I'd debated in my mind whether to pick up the month old lamb.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Dartmoor
    Posts
    277

    Re: Tame lambs!

    If in doubt I would pick it up - if you leave it you will only have to go back for the body, if it dies at home you gave it a chance

  19. #19
    Senior Member andybk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mendips Somerset
    Posts
    322

    Re: Tame lambs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksitis View Post
    If in doubt I would pick it up - if you leave it you will only have to go back for the body, if it dies at home you gave it a chance
    +1 , same applies to any sheep , doesnt give a good impression having any stock struggle in the field .

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    372

    Re: Tame lambs!

    I tended to go that way myself at a month, but by 6 weeks they are said to be getting as much from grass as from milk so at some point you could take the view that they will survive quite happily on grass. ( thats presuming there is some grass which this year is a fair presumption! )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •