Thread: NAS/media storage for home movie collection ?

NAS/media storage for home movie collection ?

Hi, I am in need of some forum wisdom here. I have about 500 movie DVDs/boxed sets and a few blu rays I would like to put into a more easily stored form rather than have them filling up shelves in the house. I have no knowledge whatsoever of network storage or anything besides using an external hard drive so it is all totally new to me.

Firstly, how do I go about ripping a DVD or blu ray onto a hard drive, what software is best, what file format is best, and how much capacity will I need for 500 odd DVDs? And how long will each DVD take to rip and format correctly?

And second, any suggestions for how best to store all this media? I am thinking a small NAS that can live under the TV, maybe 2 red Western digitals in it?

Any and all help gratefully received.

Thanks

Ollie

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: NAS/media storage for home movie collection ?

I would be quite wary of disposing of physical copies and replacing them with a hard drive based storage solution. Very little would have to go wrong to lose the lot. If you are going to do it only consider a storage solution based on a raid array where one failed hard drive can be coped with. From memory the minimum number of hard drives for that is 4 but you can google raid array and read up on that. If it was me I'd prefer to have physical copies any day. Hard drive failures are an every day occurrence in my place of work but we have images taken automatically every week to cover for that so we can cope with it. Even if you have a storage solution based on a raid array you need to consider things like lightning strikes and surge protectors etc too. Works out expensive to do it right. It could be far more cost effective to do a cheapo setup with no redundancy and then pay for cloud storage as backup. If you google blue ray ripper etc you will get a load of options for software but bear in mind it is illegal to rip a bought copy of something. In practice if you are not distributing copies there's little to worry about I would have thought.

http://www.hdmediaconverter.com/top-...-rippers-2013/

Can't help on software front as I use a Mac (and I know what you think of Apple) but i use Ripit (mac only) which gives me a DVD format which plays as if a DVD was in the drive (same file size as a DVD at typically 7GB or there about) it will also compress the file to MP4 for playing on mobile devices with file size typically between 1.2GB and 1.7GB although some have come in at 2.5GB. Probably takes 1.5 hours per disc to rip and compress each disc. Your 500 DVDs would need 1TB hard drive after compression. I don't have a blue-ray reader on the computer so can't comment on that but Blue-ray discs hold many more GBs of data than DVD and quality would obviously be lost if compressed.
    I'm with TP on not wanting to get rid of the physical discs, although they could be boxed and put in storage till the fateful day that your hard drives went tits up. Minimum RAID is 2 discs. RAID1 uses 2 discs mirrored so both discs contain the same info.

Older DVDs have file protection preventing them from being copied.

Todays Ebuyer special's flyer has this Buffalo NAS on offer- 104.15 +vat & free delivery and it comes with two 1TB drives!! plus a 5 machine licence for novabackup (OK but you can use what you like).

Make you think back to how much memory/storage was not so long ago......................!

http://www.ebuyer.com/630708-buffalo...-ls220d0202-eu

Hello,

if you have a second pc in your household or a second drive on your main pc you can handle this very easily with a linux distribution like linux mint or mate.
    OS is very familiar to windows distributions. Linux assumes if you dont have a right to copy, then you wouldn't do it... .

Second I suggest one of the synology NAS drives, varity depends... including RIAD.
    Another cheaper solution is an "wdmycloud NAS drive", if desired including an external usb 3.0 backup solution, operated by mycloud "OS".

Regards Niels Andre
    Last edited by nielsandre; 25-06-16 at 07:44 PM.

I'm with TP; there are only two types of hard drive: those which have failed, and those which will fail.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 26-06-16 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo

I would have to agree with TP about throwing out the original's.

On this side of the pond, copywrite laws permit you to make a "backup" of electronic media - which loosely means that if you throw out (give away, sell, . . .) the "original" then your electronic copy is no longer a "backup" but would / could be considered a "pirated" copy.

That said, pick-up a couple of external drives, make a copy to one then "back-up" your "back-up" just to be sure your back-up doesn't "become corrupted"