Thread: BPS claim thing

BPS claim thing

Anyone know when this will all be confirmed? I've applied as a new entrant and was wondering when I would find out if I am one of the lucky contestants.

Re: BPS claim thing

Ironic, the person who has been on this site lamenting and being most critical of the subsidy system now admits to attempting to join the very same system he ridiculed not that long ago?

Ever heard the phrase 'if you can't beat em, join em'?

It's hardly contradictory to think the system is wrong but still have to work with the system as it is, it's what we all do to some degree or another.

My guess is that you will not hear for at least a couple of months as people can late claim until mid July.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Anyone know when this will all be confirmed? I've applied as a new entrant and was wondering when I would find out if I am one of the lucky contestants.
    It's only been 5 days since the closing date, they'll only just have come up for air by now

You sound like a 5-year-old on a car journey, "are we there yet?"

Thanks for the helpful answers. I don't see any irony and have made it clear in the past that I would be putting in a claim. It doesn't change my view of the system one bit. Think I'll head back over to the other place. Seems to be going the way of the FW forum here. Goof luck with it.

Thanks for the helpful answers. I don't see any irony and have made it clear in the past that I would be putting in a claim. It doesn't change my view of the system one bit. Think I'll head back over to the other place. Seems to be going the way of the FW forum here.Goof luck with it.
    Goof luck over there too.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Goof luck over there too.
    If this forum had a 'Like' button, I would have liked that.

LIKE.

Thanks for the helpful answers. I don't see any irony and have made it clear in the past that I would be putting in a claim. It doesn't change my view of the system one bit. Think I'll head back over to the other place. Seems to be going the way of the FW forum here. Goof luck with it.
    We could sell your email address and try to flog you some tat if that would make you feel more at home?

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    We could sell your email address and try to flog you some tat if that would make you feel more at home?
    Generally use a disposable email address for forum registrations. Always in the market for tat though.

Interesting they are managing to claim 'a majority' have received payment by target date of 31st December.
    Yes that's 'almost 51%'
    You can bet some tricks were to reach that magic figure - like avoiding what have now become 'complicated' applications due to a bit of common land.
    Locally I don't know of anyone that has been paid

RPA@Ruralpay 17h17 hours ago
    44,400 farmers (almost 51% of all claimants) have now received #BPS2015 payments http://bit.ly/1RZVE8B

My guess is they've paid the ones which are identical to the previous year SPS claims with no RLE1s or complications like common land. I wondered about just making an identical claim to previous year to make it easy but there were some really small discrepancies which I thought I'd deal with, more fool me. I spoke to a chap who was considering buying some entitlements last year but decided to put it off in case his claim was delayed as a result, it turns out it his claim has been delayed anyway so he might as well have bought the extra entitlements whilst they were trading relatively more cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My guess is they've paid the ones which are identical to the previous year SPS claims with no RLE1s or complications like common land. I wondered about just making an identical claim to previous year to make it easy but there were some really small discrepancies which I thought I'd deal with, more fool me. I spoke to a chap who was considering buying some entitlements last year but decided to put it off in case his claim was delayed as a result, it turns out it his claim has been delayed anyway so he might as well have bought the extra entitlements whilst they were trading relatively more cheaply.
    Fair play to them, it must take real effort to come up with new ways of buggering the process up each year . Never mind, I'm sure "lessons will be learnt" as they are with every other balls up that occurs, I assume this basically means "we're not going to blame anyone and there's nothing you can do about it so stop complaining"?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Some simple calculations soon reveal they have been paying a lot of smaller claims to achieve the over 50% figure.
    http://www.nfuonline.com/business/ba...and-have-nots/

The 31st January milestone looks ridiculously over-optimistic, suspect it will be well into next tax year before a lot of the 2015 payments finally arrive - which will be interesting if they manage to get the 2016 ones paid more on time..

We've not been paid yet and they can't give a reason.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Still seems to be total chaos at RPA towers.
    No 2015 payment here until yesterday when what could be about half the amount less the Common land part appeared.
    This suggests they still haven't quite worked out how to proceed with last years Common Land claim if they looked at it at all.

The 2016 application seemed easier than I expected here and it has been sat waiting to submit for a couple of weeks.
    I did hope to have a statement for 2015 which might clarify why they have split some fields into up to 5 tiny parcels - some are about 0.001ha - for no obvious reason.
    Anyway since 2015 statement before 15th May seems highly unlikely I decided to submit this morning - checking the generated form again they have mysteriously disappeared the Common Land which was there on the saved PDF from two weeks ago.

Going into the Common Land section it was still shown but was now lacking a 'name' (I think...)
    So put that in and saved and now it's back on the generated PDF.
    Submitted immediately before they change any more things.
    One field has an exclamation mark about changes pending but no idea what they are.
    I looked at it and saved so you would thing the pending change note would disappear - but no.
    There is a tree in one corner probably another 0.0001ha parcel will appear next time.

I'm finding application process a bit of a pain this year, website not available during the day and helpline very busy

However RPA website works well at 4.00am and their YouTube videos are helpful

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I did hope to have a statement for 2015 which might clarify why they have split some fields into up to 5 tiny parcels - some are about 0.001ha - for no obvious reason.
    The only thing our 2015 statement clarified was that the RPA hadn't 'found' 20 ha of our land & so not only hadn't paid us for it, but fined us for 'over declaration' of the 20ha they'd lost!

Looking at the Land Parcel details for all the field, there was 20ha of 'unknown' cropping ... along with 6 other cropping errors ... even though all details were submitted on our BPS 2015 claim.

A lot of the errors look as if they are simply just from inaccuracy of transferring the details from our paper forms onto RPA computer system.

That shouldn't happen this year though ... !!?

Btw. Pleased to hear they've got around to pay you something!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Still seems to be total chaos at RPA towers.
    No 2015 payment here until yesterday when what could be about half the amount less the Common land part appeared.
    This suggests they still haven't quite worked out how to proceed with last years Common Land claim if they looked at it at all.

The 2016 application seemed easier than I expected here and it has been sat waiting to submit for a couple of weeks.
    Anyway since 2015 statement before 15th May seems highly unlikely I decided to submit this morning - checking the generated form again they have mysteriously disappeared the Common Land which was there on the saved PDF from two weeks ago.

Going into the Common Land section it was still shown but was now lacking a 'name' (I think...)
    So put that in and saved and now it's back on the generated PDF.
    Submitted immediately before they change any more things.
    One field has an exclamation mark about changes pending but no idea what they are.
    I looked at it and saved so you would thing the pending change note would disappear - but no.
    There is a tree in one corner probably another 0.0001ha parcel will appear next time.
    I'm still slightly astonished at the level of detail of the mapping; we've got a concrete bridge mapped at 0.0017ha for example and a few other "features" too. Even more amazing is that you can see what they've mapped too. System seems to be stable for us, still plenty of time for it all to fall apart though I guess.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

We too had a field 'disappeared' and I've been told to Appeal, but claim for it this year. That means this years' will be be over claimed, which is a hanging offence. Even though, it was checked by local RPA staff and was not my error.

This weeks' Private Eye sums it up very nicely:

The RPA is now a byword for Whitehall incompetence.

underpayments have arisen following the debacle of the RPA's online application system which had to be put down in spring 2015.

Not trained to deal with any handwritten applications, RPA staff then seem to have made a large number of cock-ups.

The errors mostly appear to concern "missing" fields, where RPA staff have entered subsidy claims into the RPA computer themselves.

The computer has then identified the errors as potentially fraudulent claims and, as programmed, then reduced payments for "over-declaration" of eligible areas by farmers.

Thus it is that thousands (or possibly tens of thousands) of English farmers stand accused of "over declaring" in their 2015 subsidy claims but have no way to find out what the errors are, if they have made the error, or whether they are the RPA's fault.

the only advice the National Farmers Union feels able to give is to tell members they must remove any "mental block" about unresolved issues on BPS 2015 before taking the plunge with this year's claim."

Private Eye.

I cant help thinking that the real reason is to hang on to the money as long as they can to ease Central Government cash flow .
    The system in England is simpler with different interpretation of the rules than here in Wales ,were we too have the same problems of slow payment ,but one of Welsh Labours great ideas was to make us take out grazing land under tree/ bush cover for BPS claim despite the opposition of every Environment, Nature and Forestry organisations who are not always Allies of Farming . They use satellite images that were on 2013 images on our system to fill the IACS and 2011 images system that they use to read them . Because they employed University students during their holidays & low payed workers to process IACS to their computers instead of experienced staff, there have been a myriad of cockups ,mainly land taken out because shadows from trees & large hedgerows , salt marsh grazing being interpreted as scrub and petty things, resulting in penalties being imposed and appeals being lodged slowing the system down even more.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.