Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asbestos sheet disposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dave Applesquasher

Asbestos sheet disposal

We have a few bits of corrugated roofing sheets that need getting rid of. I have no idea if it is asbestos or if it is just cement fibre sheet, nor do I know how to tell.
    How do I get rid of it?

Not much really, 6-10 sheets various lengths but no more than 6'.

Re: Asbestos sheet disposal

You can get samples analysed to see if asbestos is present quite cheaply, by services such as this:

http://www.passukltd.co.uk/sample-analysis.htm

Dave Applesquasher

Would they be ok if I sent a pallet full for an analysis?

J.C Bamford.

Dig a hole and bury it.if you take it anywhere the costs will spiral.in Norfolk you pay a fortune to the council and they just put it in landfill.
    nick.......

For anyone else who is interested in the costs I recently had a skip from Cleansing services group for asbestos sheets The costs were as follows.
    Delivery of skip free
    Collection of skip 230
    Disposal of Asbestos 55 per ton (min 2 ton)
    Landfill Tax 64 per ton
    Admin fee 40
    I also had to register online with the enviroment agency 18

I think some of the charges went up on the 1/4/13

I think you can take small quantitys to your local tip if you were say demolishing a garden shed. But I had just over 4ton to go now dont have any left on the farm.

Don't test, just bury it. Nick Brooks will want about 800 if you want a skip :-(

cheapest thing would probably be just make a little roof to park a quad or something under....... or that little chicken house you've always been wanting....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

cleared a few sheets for a customer about 4yrs ago, offered to hire a digger but I was told it had to be skipped , so the cost of skip and disposal charge to me was just over 1000 + my time loading it. digger hire would have been 50, and they even had there own land to bury it. the customer is always right ????

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    How do I get rid of it?
    I got without some for free at a local council tip, I think every council should have one somewhere on one of their sites as long as it is sealed up in plastic and can fit the hole on the side of the skip about one foot square.

Dave Applesquasher

Thank you all for your replies, I think I can sort it now.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I got without some for free at a local council tip, I think every council should have one somewhere on one of their sites as long as it is sealed up in plastic and can fit the hole on the side of the skip about one foot square.
    That would involve breaking it up which has got to be the most dangerous thing to do.

wrap it in an old silage sheet and just keep folding.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    wrap it in an old silage sheet and just keep folding.
    No problem to wrap old bits of guttering and downpipe before breaking them into shorter lengths either.

On tv the other night was, ither planners, or something , and because neighbour complainded about state overgrown, garden, sheds, caravans, etc, of an old boys place, they put order on it and nothing happened so in was sent srappy, and machine to level, tidy all up.
    Well they had all flashing lights, yellow vests etc., but when you looked st the finished garden it was all small chunks of smashed up asbestos tracked in?
    What a joke that was, on all on tv as well.
    That council wanted prosercuting them selves?

Dave Applesquasher

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    On tv the other night was, ither planners, or something , and because neighbour complainded about state overgrown, garden, sheds, caravans, etc, of an old boys place, they put order on it and nothing happened so in was sent srappy, and machine to level, tidy all up.
    Well they had all flashing lights, yellow vests etc., but when you looked st the finished garden it was all small chunks of smashed up asbestos tracked in?
    What a joke that was, on all on tv as well.
    That council wanted prosercuting them selves?
    That place was about a mile away from here
    Should have just chucked my stuff in there.

it was terrible- what did the locals say?
    That spread asbestos dust everywhere, and the officials in control as well?
    Bet the neighbour that complainted did nt like a mouth full of that?

Dave Applesquasher

I doubt the locals noticed, they are an odd bunch along that stretch of road.
    That place has been a tip for donkeys years, so I expect they are a bit relieved it s better than it was. Been like it so long I would think they were used to it by now.

take it to pyms lane crewe. double wrap. it used to be free. tell them you are a private house holder and not a buiseness.

I doubt the locals noticed, they are an odd bunch along that stretch of road.
    That place has been a tip for donkeys years, so I expect they are a bit relieved it s better than it was. Been like it so long I would think they were used to it by now.
    Yer but the old vans, caravans etc. relics?? did the old chap die or what? Bloody do gooders , you should be able to do what you want with your own property.
    Wonder if the neighbours will claim asbestos polution next off the council?

Local landfill charges about 200 euro a ton if you take it loose and 88 euro a ton if you put it in a Big Bag and tape it up... I took a bout a ton in bags... Guy grabbed them with with forks from the trailer and dropped them off the edge, by the time they hit bottom, none were in the bags... Just shook my head and paid the 88 euro....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Bloke up the road from me got a big fine for dumping building waste on his land. Had to pay to have it all cleansed as well.

As far as I know most CF roofing does not contain asbestos and even if it does it is not particularly dangerous. Something to do with the threads being longer so they don't catch in the lungs? Can't remember now. I suspect it's a good idea to damp it down well before and during removal, wear a decent dust mask and then stack it in a corner under a good tarp until you are going to put in a big concrete floor somewhere......

WRT removal, what standard of PPE is recommended?

Dave Applesquasher

I think the problem is that unless you have it tested you cannot be sure.
    As a result it is just assumed by everyone that it does contain asbestos and is treated as such.
    If you have a lot to shift and you can prove it is asbestos free the testing is certainly the way to go, a few sheets of possibly different origins (which is what I have) is a different matter.
    A trip or two to the local disposal site is the way for me in this case.

PPE, dustmask and gloves, and they say white asbestos has no significant health risk anyway.

I think the problem is that unless you have it tested you cannot be sure.
    As a result it is just assumed by everyone that it does contain asbestos and is treated as such.
    If you have a lot to shift and you can prove it is asbestos free the testing is certainly the way to go, a few sheets of possibly different origins (which is what I have) is a different matter.
    A trip or two to the local disposal site is the way for me in this case.

PPE, dustmask and gloves, and they say white asbestos has no significant health risk anyway.
    I think someone on the old forum said that ordinary dust masks were no use for asbestos as the particles were smaller than such masks would protect you from, or something

got to drill,scrap or cut to get bits to analyse anyhow???

I think back to all the dens and camps we made out of old CF sheets. Sawed them up and everything.

I did a bit of research into this a few years ago as we were going to re-roof a barn but this has not happened as yet. I think I read that the asbestos in CF sheets has almost no potential to harm you and it's down to the type and length of fibres. The nasty stuff is the insulation they used to use in buildings / ships etc. I think it's referred to as 'blue'. Everything you read is over-dubbed with H+S hysteria but the general message I got was that if you are going to work with old CF sheets, make sure they are very well damped. Have a running hose as you remove and wear a mask. If you can keep them intact, do so.

But generally, the health risk is very low as I recall although you might want to check that out for yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I think back to all the dens and camps we made out of old CF sheets. Sawed them up and everything.

I did a bit of research into this a few years ago as we were going to re-roof a barn but this has not happened as yet. I think I read that the asbestos in CF sheets has almost no potential to harm you and it's down to the type and length of fibres. The nasty stuff is the insulation they used to use in buildings / ships etc. I think it's referred to as 'blue'. Everything you read is over-dubbed with H+S hysteria but the general message I got was that if you are going to work with old CF sheets, make sure they are very well damped. Have a running hose as you remove and wear a mask. If you can keep them intact, do so.

But generally, the health risk is very low as I recall although you might want to check that out for yourselves.

Agree ........but ......... Several of the garage erectors at the firm my mother used to work at have died of mesothelioma , they used to mitre sheet corners day in , day out .....
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    Agree ........but ......... Several of the garage erectors at the firm my mother used to work at have died of mesothelioma , they used to mitre sheet corners day in , day out .....
    The key is day in day out. They may also have smoked which increases risk a lot.

I think you have to treat it like something like smoking and drinking. If you drink every day of your life you will probably get liver trouble, if you smoke every day of your life you will probably get lung cancer in the end. Adapted for genes and a bit of luck.

The statistics don't point at all to any data with low levels of exposure from unregular contacts with chrisotile asbestos. You may be the unlucky one but I would expect something else to kill you first.

Knew a bloke that cut sheets with a grinder, he would have a line of dust right up over his face, he died of a heart attack at 63, but he may have had it, just not worth taking the risk for the want of a mask tho

Quote Originally Posted by robs1 View Post
    Knew a bloke that cut sheets with a grinder, he would have a line of dust right up over his face, he died of a heart attack at 63, but he may have had it, just not worth taking the risk for the want of a mask tho
    The right type, and fitting properly too.