Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asbestos sheet disposal

Re: Asbestos sheet disposal

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    Agree ........but ......... Several of the garage erectors at the firm my mother used to work at have died of mesothelioma , they used to mitre sheet corners day in , day out .....
    The key is day in day out. They may also have smoked which increases risk a lot.

I think you have to treat it like something like smoking and drinking. If you drink every day of your life you will probably get liver trouble, if you smoke every day of your life you will probably get lung cancer in the end. Adapted for genes and a bit of luck.

The statistics don't point at all to any data with low levels of exposure from unregular contacts with chrisotile asbestos. You may be the unlucky one but I would expect something else to kill you first.

Knew a bloke that cut sheets with a grinder, he would have a line of dust right up over his face, he died of a heart attack at 63, but he may have had it, just not worth taking the risk for the want of a mask tho

Old dairy building near by is getting taken down for housing,asbestos roof, so experts came in on Monday. By Wednesday the foreman had fallen off the dutch barn roof,taken to local hospital via ambulance and then flown to Raigmore with serious internal injuries.Asbestos sheets just left lying about now as foreman was the only one with a ticket for handling it and other guys only paid for the week.They hadn't bagged the sheets either, so other others have said bury deep.

Quote Originally Posted by robs1 View Post
    Knew a bloke that cut sheets with a grinder, he would have a line of dust right up over his face, he died of a heart attack at 63, but he may have had it, just not worth taking the risk for the want of a mask tho
    The right type, and fitting properly too.

http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/home

Information and sensible advice that could save a lot of money.

Dave Applesquasher

The job is jobbed

I was wrong, there were more like 30 pieces and more like 7'+ long.
    Wrapped them all up individually with thick polythene (plenty around due to a cock up with spanish tunnels a while back) and parcel taped closed.
    Registered a pickup for waste disposal permit (gets you in to local Council skips place with a pickup/van/trailer)
    Made an appointment for time to be there and chucked it all in the asbestos disposal skip.
    All done and hopefully not too dusted! Yes I did wear a mask and I did sweat buckets trying to wrap the damned stuff on my own.

Thank you for your advice.