Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manitou 628 mla

manitou 628 mla

i,m thinking of buying a 628 as to me they,re a clone of a matbro but have not heard too many good reports,especially with hydraulic problems. are they really that complicated. theres quite a few about for sale so good choice. i,ve been told to go pre 2007. opinions please

Re: manitou 628 mla

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i,m thinking of buying a 628 as to me they,re a clone of a matbro but have not heard too many good reports,especially with hydraulic problems. are they really that complicated. theres quite a few about for sale so good choice. i,ve been told to go pre 2007. opinions please
    I've just bought a 2008 so I hope you're wrong. Only had it a few weeks so can't really comment yet but first impressions are canny. Ace will be along soon to give proper advice but the way I looked at it is, I would have prefered a JCB 300 or a 310 but they were a hell of a lot more money and the Manitou will be more than enough to do what we want from it. It replaced a Matbro TR250 btw

We run 2 an 04 and a recently purchased 08 with little over 100 hours on it, the 04 has just done 4,000 and its had a few problems with a shaft shearing to the tranmission and the hydraulic pump drive shearing too but apart from thats its still a good loader, cant comment on the reliability of the 08 yet but its a dream to drive compared to the 04.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    We run 2 an 04 and a recently purchased 08 with little over 100 hours on it, the 04 has just done 4,000 and its had a few problems with a shaft shearing to the tranmission and the hydraulic pump drive shearing too but apart from thats its still a good loader, cant comment on the reliability of the 08 yet but its a dream to drive compared to the 04.
    Just like any handler there are many things to go wrong and look out for, There are various modifications on the MLA just like JCB TM300etc,
    I have a list i have drawn up a detailed list of problem areas or things to check on the MLA's if anyone wants it PM me your email address.

There is a mod kit for the flywheel that fits all the 120hp MLA's from 2002 up till end of production to help stop or cure the shaft in the hydraulic pump breaking. the mod kit only came out in 2010 i think so after MLA production ended which was in oct 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Just like any handler there are many things to go wrong and look out for, There are various modifications on the MLA just like JCB TM300etc,
    I have a list i have drawn up a detailed list of problem areas or things to check on the MLA's if anyone wants it PM me your email address.

There is a mod kit for the flywheel that fits all the 120hp MLA's from 2002 up till end of production to help stop or cure the shaft in the hydraulic pump breaking. the mod kit only came out in 2010 i think so after MLA production ended which was in oct 2009.
    we have the flywheel mod kit and it seems to a complete waste of time. Still breaking pump shafts. Our hasn't been trouble free but we do about 1000hrs a year doing everything including the silage pit with it. Gets a hard life and probably not enough love but we do try to grease it once a week and service regularly. Don't know what else I'd buy but I think it's more the fact when it does breakdown it's a real arse ache and it just probably seems worse.

really? fitting the mod kit cured every machine i work on! touch wood.

maybe there is something else contributing to the problem? worn rubber donuts on the main shaft or the little plastic bushes on the ball joint in side the shaft? (I glue these in with windscreen adhesive as they are always loose) worn bearing on the input shaft of transmission? trans rubber mounts or engine mounts worn? engine not lined up with trans correctly?
    Worn out electric lift pump causing slight miss fire at higher revs? Hydraulics stalling engine out causing vibration and suddon stop? there is a modifiaction to the pumps to help with this but only if you have the later 53 series pumps.
    only other thing i can think of is to much engine power!
    Seams odd how some of these mla's dont have the mod kit and never break a shaft and others eat them for breakfast? look after one thats a 56 plate about 5 or 6k hours on a dairy farm and never had one yet.
    Are you sure you have the mod kit fitted can email it to you if you like?

We have engine problem which I suspect is the contributing factor. Has had since new an awful vibration, everything fell off engine during warranty to point we have no air con and the exhaust is bolted to back of cab (lovely drooning noise in cab), injection pump has been been off and repaired 3 times as it was miss firing and wouldn't rev, did that twice, last time it was off the throttle shaft had partially ceased in pump so you hand a random hand throttle syndrome. But if you could email me pics I will check it has mod kit on but I'm sure dealer fitted one with last pump......

Sounds like someone's timed the balancer up wrong during assembly!

As late as you could find would be the better MLA.

Ive had the pump shaft break once, flywheel damper was as new when we inspected it, but still replaced dohnuts and bushes in the drive shaft to be sure. Ensure idle speed is 900 and pump calibrated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Sounds like someone's timed the balancer up wrong during assembly!

As late as you could find would be the better MLA.

Ive had the pump shaft break once, flywheel damper was as new when we inspected it, but still replaced dohnuts and bushes in the drive shaft to be sure. Ensure idle speed is 900 and pump calibrated properly.
    i could be wrong but dont think they have a balancer fitted?

The 1104c-44TA is listed on the perkins site to have a balancer, but mebbe manitou didnt spec it ???

The 1104c-44TA is listed on the perkins site to have a balancer, but mebbe manitou didnt spec it ???
    i havnt seen a balencer on any manitou engine yet? not had the sump off a 1100 series engine to be honist so you could be right but i doubt manitou bothered to spec it with a balancer.
    I would think if it had a balancer and it was even slighty wrong it would have failed fairly early on in the manitous life? ie broken crank or smashed up balancers?
    would be easy to find out though just phone diperk with the engine serial number.

Our old 56 plate 628 had that's shaft thing break 4 times in 5 years. Nightmare. Traded for a jcb310s which is a far better machine. 628 was good when going though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEarlOfMoray View Post
    Our old 56 plate 628 had that's shaft thing break 4 times in 5 years. Nightmare. Traded for a jcb310s which is a far better machine. 628 was good when going though.
    what is replaced when the shaft breaks,is it a new pump with shaft or only a new shaft. whats the downtime and cost of repair

Agree with mod kit being a waste of time just seems to make pump/shaft replacment harder due to having a bigger drive coupling on flywheel and then having to remove pump and mounting plate out as one unit. pump shaft can be bought as spare part to fit into pump seal kit is expensive to fit pump but if carefull can use orignal ive only ever fitted one seal kit and roughly fitted 10 shafts and a few pumps aswell. How machine is driven also has influence on shaft failure. 1104 perkins engines are not balanced in manitou spec know of a 2002 mla 628 with original shaft @12500hrs .pump shaft replacment on machine without mod kit would take around 5 hours slightly longer with mod kit

Quote Originally Posted by smokey joe View Post
    Agree with mod kit being a waste of time just seems to make pump/shaft replacment harder due to having a bigger drive coupling on flywheel and then having to remove pump and mounting plate out as one unit. pump shaft can be bought as spare part to fit into pump seal kit is expensive to fit pump but if carefull can use orignal ive only ever fitted one seal kit and roughly fitted 10 shafts and a few pumps aswell. How machine is driven also has influence on shaft failure. 1104 perkins engines are not balanced in manitou spec know of a 2002 mla 628 with original shaft @12500hrs .pump shaft replacment on machine without mod kit would take around 5 hours slightly longer with mod kit
    I knew of a MLA 628 2002 as well that we estimate had over 13000hrs easy when it was traded in about 3 years ago! it to was still one the original shaft and no mod kit fitted, was works very hard all its life by a contractor, same contractor also had a 05 one and that had 4 shafts break! till it got the mod kit on it then it stopped happening was traded in last month with an estimated 11000hrs on it!

what idiot though that shaft would be man enough in the first place wants there arse kicking if you ask me! wouldnt hurt if it was twice the dia.
    znotdead the shaft part number and seal kit number are on the PDF doc i sent you. or was it some one else i sent that too?

I just wish manitou would sit back and use some common sense when designing it and looking past all the calculations. Then give a couple to real farms for a few months, see what falls off and what the farmer thinks will fall off in the next five years! Shame because the base machine is good, strong chassis, good axles and gearbox. Just a shame the main parts of a telehandler are crap...... Engine and hydraulic pump!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    I just wish manitou would sit back and use some common sense when designing it and looking past all the calculations. Then give a couple to real farms for a few months, see what falls off and what the farmer thinks will fall off in the next five years! Shame because the base machine is good, strong chassis, good axles and gearbox. Just a shame the main parts of a telehandler are crap...... Engine and hydraulic pump!!!
    nothing much wrong with the engine! okay electric lift pumps crap and the thermostat oring seals and plastic housings leak from time to time, and 1000 series timing cases rot though now and again dumping all the water in to the sump but thats about it nothing major.

its the bits manitou bolted to it that give the problems!

Exhaust brackets, modified with a different silencer but then that transfurs noise to the inside of the cab
    Aircon brackets and bolts crack and fall out
    Radiators to small later ones with 1100 series engine
    fuel potensionmetre switchs and linkages/brackets
    water hoses poor rubber compaired to other manufactures. they dont like it if you over heat the engine and crack from the inside out.

there the main things and nothing to do with perkins.

Not had any major mechaincal failure on a perkins that was not due to operater lack of service or over heating etc for a long time yes they wear out with age and use depending of serviceing but if serviced well then not uncommon for one to reach 10k hours the two i mentioned above with 11k and 13k hours were still starting and running well with good power and more or less leak free was just the rest of the machine that was knackered!

You are right, I was just lumping it together because in reality manitou have managed to create crap from a good base!!!! Only manitou could do it so well!

Depends how easily the allen key headed bolts come out of the cab floor! If the captive nuts break free it gets tricky!

2hrs to access the pump, an hour to change it and a good hour to button it all back up would be pretty accurate, assuming you had a new pump to slot back in.

Depends how easily the allen key headed bolts come out of the cab floor! If the captive nuts break free it gets tricky!

2hrs to access the pump, an hour to change it and a good hour to button it all back up would be pretty accurate, assuming you had a new pump to slot back in.
    never had the plessure of that problem timbo! normally them bolts have to be taken out so often they dont get the chance to sieze on the threads to break the captive nut free!

Why are seats so dam heavy? theres nothing to them really, you would think with the weight of them they would never break but they do! have to break your back getting it out just to get access dam anoying when you only want to replace a pipe or something.
    i found a way of replacing the brake accumulator with out taking the seat out. jack the axle up on the right had side till it hits the stops use blocks or axle stand aswell, you can just get your hand up there and reach the acculator on the left hand side to replace it. watch your fingers they get trapped between the acculator and the chassis when the last thread unscrews and the weight of the acculator drops it throbs for a while on a cold day!

when the shaft breaks is it completly out of the blue or when you,re at heavy work

Usually completely out of the blue - mine broke when it was sat idling!

One of our shafts broke as I started it up to drive away from corn lorry I 'd just loaded and swapped paper work, one broke middle of first cut half way up pit (yes I did scream and then hum gently like a nutter for a minute or two) and another snapped during feeding loading wagon up! So no rhythm nor reason to it! Sums up manitou's design thought process really!!

what should i do,buy a mla and hope for the best(they can,t be that bad surely,theres loads for sale and not cheap) or look at at jcb 310. i only do 4 to 500 hrs per year

what should i do,buy a mla and hope for the best(they can,t be that bad surely,theres loads for sale and not cheap) or look at at jcb 310. i only do 4 to 500 hrs per year
    stick to your TR250 -110 they anit that bad do you want to sell it?

never had the plessure of that problem timbo! normally them bolts have to be taken out so often they dont get the chance to sieze on the threads to break the captive nut free!

Why are seats so dam heavy? theres nothing to them really, you would think with the weight of them they would never break but they do! have to break your back getting it out just to get access dam anoying when you only want to replace a pipe or something.
    i found a way of replacing the brake accumulator with out taking the seat out. jack the axle up on the right had side till it hits the stops use blocks or axle stand aswell, you can just get your hand up there and reach the acculator on the left hand side to replace it. watch your fingers they get trapped between the acculator and the chassis when the last thread unscrews and the weight of the acculator drops it throbs for a while on a cold day!
    +1 on changing accumilator done a few that way anything to save pulling seat out. Have you had many torque converters fail on mla 628 ACE ??

Quote Originally Posted by smokey joe View Post
    +1 on changing accumilator done a few that way anything to save pulling seat out. Have you had many torque converters fail on mla 628 ACE ??
    No not had a torque converter fail yet, infact not had a failure of any kind with the gearbox internals only done one solenoid. have done 2 gearboxs on MLA 627T though which are more or less the same box sort of.
    not even had a oil seal go on the input or out put shafts.

On a 2006 MLA i did take the input shaft out and replace the ball bearing and oil seal in an attempt to help stop some of the wobble on the input shaft and help it from breaking the pump shaft but was a waste of time.

What failures have you had on the converters?

I di d have one of these gearboxs in a another machine that failed at 600hrs! lost all drive completely and the drive to the hydraulic pump that was mounted on the top of gearbox, was sent another under warranty and never did find out what went wrong with the old one. one off though as never had that problem before with that box and its fitted to alsorts of machines.

is a ls model (not lsu) less prone to breaking the drive shaft. i think they are pre 2004

is a ls model (not lsu) less prone to breaking the drive shaft. i think they are pre 2004
    LS models are 2002 and possibly very early 2003. from my experience i would say yes they are. although the differences on the pump/drive are minor.

LS machines have a 140litre pump and LSU has 150litre but i'll bet if you ordered a new pump for a LS the part number would sub up to the 150litre pump.

transmission is the same, biggest difference is the engine completey different went from perkins 1000series to 1100 series.

No not had a torque converter fail yet, infact not had a failure of any kind with the gearbox internals only done one solenoid. have done 2 gearboxs on MLA 627T though which are more or less the same box sort of.
    not even had a oil seal go on the input or out put shafts.

On a 2006 MLA i did take the input shaft out and replace the ball bearing and oil seal in an attempt to help stop some of the wobble on the input shaft and help it from breaking the pump shaft but was a waste of time.

What failures have you had on the converters?

I di d have one of these gearboxs in a another machine that failed at 600hrs! lost all drive completely and the drive to the hydraulic pump that was mounted on the top of gearbox, was sent another under warranty and never did find out what went wrong with the old one. one off though as never had that problem before with that box and its fitted to alsorts of machines.
    Yes had a few converters fail usually driver complains of lack of power but engine just revs away no trouble at all but converter cant transmit the power also had one fail 200 hrs after fitting but was replaced under warranty also had bearings fail on output shaft to front axle but otherwise pretty trouble free. Ace going off topic slightly do you know of any manitou mlt 526 being broken for spares i need a complete front left hand hub-final drive