Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Slurry mixing

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Slurry mixing

    I remember seeing a relatively new concept advertised a few years back using a compressor and alkathene pipe with jets laid on the store floor to periodically pump air into the store to keep the tank liquid.

    i would be interested to know of anyone tried this out and how successful they are with the idea.

    i have three underground slatted tanks with cows above all 10-12feet deep, thought it may save a lot of HP not pump mixing. I would treat the tanks with slurry bugs to help with the gases for the stock.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: Slurry mixing

    You could use slurry bugs or http://www.thesoilexpert.co.uk/soil-products/
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bald Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by north coaster View Post
    I remember seeing a relatively new concept advertised a few years back using a compressor and alkathene pipe with jets laid on the store floor to periodically pump air into the store to keep the tank liquid.

    i would be interested to know of anyone tried this out and how successful they are with the idea.

    i have three underground slatted tanks with cows above all 10-12feet deep, thought it may save a lot of HP not pump mixing. I would treat the tanks with slurry bugs to help with the gases for the stock.

    Mike
    Mick Moore supplies them ....... called a slurry bubbler. IIRC it came in at about £25000 to do it to my tank and there is always the possibility of a nozzle clogging.
    The idea is to keep the slurry in suspension and to release any gases in small, non harmful quantities.
    Possibly an idea that has never really taken off?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slurry mixing

    How do you find if Bald Rick, 25k is a few new pumps and tank fills. Can you empty tank on the first frosty morning that surprises you or do you still need to mix

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Slurry mixing

    My neighbour has had a bubbler for the guts of twenty years. There wouldn't be loads of them installed here, probably very few before 08. At that time there was a grant on slurry storage to help us comply with the new nvz regs, which mean we have to have 26 weeks storage. Some would have been fitted at that time. I think they would be quite a good job as long as you don't need to get in to fix it them! Wouldn't suit me as I use lots of lime flour in cubicle bedding, and I want it sitting on top of the crust until I'm ready to empty so it doesn't form sediment on the bottom.

  6. #6
    Senior Member grassmanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    885

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Spend the money on a couple of decent slurry pumps, stick them in opposite corners and let work together.
    Obviously take out cattle first and go and read bff and have a coffee for half hour.
    If they break down they can be washed and fixed or traded in.
    Not a fan of slurry bugs either after seeing gas being lit above slats.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Have two already, trouble is being all beef, if lucky you have to chew away for 12hrs plus to get the whole tank right and sometimes I have to cart half a dozen loads of water in between emptying to get the tank mixed through and emptied right out which takes time and isn't my favourite job and usually by that time it has Bucketed down with rain and stopped the job anyway.

  8. #8
    Senior Member grassmanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    885

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Sounds like you need to be feeding some more silage or get one of the downpipes directed into the tank to increase the liquid content. Don't think a bubbler or bugs would work too well If slurry is on the solid side.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    604

    Re: Slurry mixing

    the big shed at brownhills ayr uses that system. it was going to be to big to mix it any other way
    Last edited by Recycled; 22-07-15 at 10:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Slurry mixing

    A customer of mine has this system. In a relatively new tall tower. I can only remember what he told me about it so don't quote me as I am going entirely from memory.

    The aerator runs itself periodically, IIRC you can set it to do a big mix overnight using off peak electricity if you want. It runs daily, and aerates the slurry totally, so you don't get anything like as much smell and the slurry is kept constantly liquid and perfectly broken down. You just don't get a crust whatsoever.

    If you want details I can ring him and ask. I don't think that they have had any grief with it.

    They use sawdust bedding with some loose boxes as calving pens etc.

    I don't think there is much to fix in the tank itself, it is just a load of plastic piping, so you could do any maintenance when the thing is emptied if you wanted. The machine itself is outside the store in a little box so it doesn't ever see the elements or slurry itself.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Sounds like you need to be feeding some more silage or get one of the downpipes directed into the tank to increase the liquid content. Don't think a bubbler or bugs would work too well If slurry is on the solid side.
    They are on silage anyway, no straw mixed and the down pipes are permanently run into it ,as is the silage effluent so a good bit of liquid anyway, it is purely a settling out/separation problem I am thinking

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    A customer of mine has this system. In a relatively new tall tower. I can only remember what he told me about it so don't quote me as I am going entirely from memory.

    The aerator runs itself periodically, IIRC you can set it to do a big mix overnight using off peak electricity if you want. It runs daily, and aerates the slurry totally, so you don't get anything like as much smell and the slurry is kept constantly liquid and perfectly broken down. You just don't get a crust whatsoever.

    If you want details I can ring him and ask. I don't think that they have had any grief with it.

    They use sawdust bedding with some loose boxes as calving pens etc.

    I don't think there is much to fix in the tank itself, it is just a load of plastic piping, so you could do any maintenance when the thing is emptied if you wanted. The machine itself is outside the store in a little box so it doesn't ever see the elements or slurry itself.
    I dare say it wouldn't be that difficult to make up a system yourself. Pipe/jets/compressor/couplings/timer mechanism form RS components?

    You would need to see one in the flesh for pipe size and jet type(power washer nozzle?) and size of compressor needed. Even if you made up some floor saddles to hold the pipe down and stop it turning you could lay the pipe down when it's been emptied as you always end up with 4/5in left in it anyway, that way any blockages etc you just pull the whole pipe out and replace

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bald Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by north coaster View Post
    How do you find if Bald Rick, 25k is a few new pumps and tank fills. Can you empty tank on the first frosty morning that surprises you or do you still need to mix
    Sorry for any confusion but in the end I didn't install the bubbler as it seemed very expensive for what it is and I was worried about a nozzle(s) clogging over time. Instead we got Storth to make us a pump and installed a pressure ring main so we can pump slurry around the outside of the tank and break crusts etc that way. All in about £8k

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Priced a shed with a slurry slalom last year. Basically, a number of walls in the tank forms channels so that a large tank can be stirred from one end with a lagoon stirrer. Supposed to just need stirred for 15 mins every fortnight. Wasn't cheap! Although i don't think i've ever priced anything and it was cheaper than i expected.

    Bald Rick, how does the pressure ring main work?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    604

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by bigscott View Post
    Priced a shed with a slurry slalom last year. Basically, a number of walls in the tank forms channels so that a large tank can be stirred from one end with a lagoon stirrer. Supposed to just need stirred for 15 mins every fortnight. Wasn't cheap! Although i don't think i've ever priced anything and it was cheaper than i expected.

    Bald Rick, how does the pressure ring main work?
    i know a shed that has that. dont do it . unless your putting it on regular to stop a crust forming its no use. once the crust has formed it cant move because theres to many corners to go round.the watery stuff underneath circulates but you jyst cant get the cryst broken up

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Re: Slurry mixing

    I could see how that could happen. I think that you can get a static electric stirrer with a timer. Might take as much power to run as a compressor and surely plastic pipes would be cheaper than concrete walls. The shed at brownhill is a cracker. Have heard the young chap there saying the electric bill is quite high for the bubbler but it is a big shed

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S Devon
    Posts
    19

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Spend the money on a couple of decent slurry pumps, stick them in opposite corners and let work together.
    Obviously take out cattle first and go and read bff and have a coffee for half hour.
    If they break down they can be washed and fixed or traded in.
    Not a fan of slurry bugs either after seeing gas being lit above slats.
    pumps are expensive and usually complicated - gearboxes etc
    they have bearings in the slurry and smallish impellers.
    their impellers are generally below the crust - so not ideal for crust break up.

    a Malgar type slurry stirrer is capable of delivering more power but still has bearings and stationary framework in the slurry.
    they are incapable of delivering over 80hp without cavitating (vacuum around blades)

    the Mixit stirrer solves all the above problems.

    cheaper and simpler than pumps
    no bearings or framework in the slurry
    an auger to slice the incoming crust
    2 stage impellers capable of transmitting 80-200HP
    any length, not so heavy, stringproof etc
    details and video here

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bonsall
    Posts
    189

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Yes., I install the Aeromixer. As it operates on a timer to use cheap rate electricity, and the compressor is not very powerful, they are cheap to run. I would like to examine your system before recommending this or an altrnative mixer. The problem is, there are too many sales people tied to one system, which they swear is the answer to everything, when in fact each case is different, requiring a different solution.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

  19. #19
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    604

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    Yes., I install the Aeromixer. As it operates on a timer to use cheap rate electricity, and the compressor is not very powerful, they are cheap to run. I would like to examine your system before recommending this or an altrnative mixer. The problem is, there are too many sales people tied to one system, which they swear is the answer to everything, when in fact each case is different, requiring a different solution.
    the mix it type stirrer (we work with an old malger type) is the way to go for towers and lagoons but the slurry has to be able to circulate . i doubt they would work that well in a long narrow passageway or any underground store that has concrete lintels in them that can hold the crust and stop it moving

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S Devon
    Posts
    19

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    the mix it type stirrer (we work with an old malger type) is the way to go for towers and lagoons but the slurry has to be able to circulate . i doubt they would work that well in a long narrow passageway or any underground store that has concrete lintels in them that can hold the crust and stop it moving
    Underground stores.
    I agree that stirring a long narrow dead end passage, from one end, is impossible.
    I find 40ft is about the limit with a stirrer as the power then becomes dispersed across the whole passage and blocks of the circulation. A central wall usually solves this problem.
    If you had loads of time and diesel then a pump/jetter could succeed!
    Lifting a central slat or access at both ends must speed up the job.

    With regard to large, un-walled stores, customers have told me the Mixit’s ability to transmit
    120 plus HP combined with the auger, has solved their problems.
    The most popular length is 14ft. which allows easy access through most holes.
    Some are sold with a 3m extension frame so lagoons can also be stirred with the same machine.
    I did use my machines, as a contractor, for 20 years.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S Devon
    Posts
    19

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    the mix it type stirrer (we work with an old malger type) is the way to go for towers and lagoons but the slurry has to be able to circulate . i doubt they would work that well in a long narrow passageway or any underground store that has concrete lintels in them that can hold the crust and stop it moving
    I supplied a 25ft mixit stirrer and extension to a contractor last month who sent me this pic with his comment.
    looks as though he is exploring possibilities!
    sorry if pic is small - not v comp literate.

    "Just a few pics ive taken of mixer.lifted a few slats out a shed with a blocked channel and it did a great job.a mixer pump wouldnt look at it."mixit underslat.jpg

  22. #22
    Senior Member grassmanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    885

    Re: Slurry mixing

    One possibility he could be exploring is gassing those cattle standing above it and anyone who would go in to try and get collapsed cattle out.Another possibility is someone or something falling in through the gap left by lifting off a gang slat.Looks like a photo from a farm safety campaign!!!!One that would have a red X through or beside it,

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    One possibility he could be exploring is gassing those cattle standing above it and anyone who would go in to try and get collapsed cattle out.Another possibility is someone or something falling in through the gap left by lifting off a gang slat.Looks like a photo from a farm safety campaign!!!!One that would have a red X through or beside it,
    All avoided with a little electric motor and air compressor pumping air bubbles out of a bit of plastic tubing.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    One more step and you get wet and cold(er)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by stirrer View Post
    Underground stores.
    I agree that stirring a long narrow dead end passage, from one end, is impossible.
    I find 40ft is about the limit with a stirrer as the power then becomes dispersed across the whole passage and blocks of the circulation. A central wall usually solves this problem.
    If you had loads of time and diesel then a pump/jetter could succeed!
    Lifting a central slat or access at both ends must speed up the job.

    With regard to large, un-walled stores, customers have told me the Mixit’s ability to transmit
    120 plus HP combined with the auger, has solved their problems.
    The most popular length is 14ft. which allows easy access through most holes.
    Some are sold with a 3m extension frame so lagoons can also be stirred with the same machine.
    I did use my machines, as a contractor, for 20 years.
    I have several tanks around the 100-120ft long, all have just the one access type slat at one of the long ends which is stirred with an NC pump, can't remember the size but it's not a great big one, 3000 rings a bell. These tanks are emptied 3 to 4 times a season anyway, with no slat lifting, tanks are 10-12ft deep. The difference being is I have motorway lampposts welded together up above the gate partitions in each shed with fittings on each end for a small section of pipe that can be used in each shed, so using the top fill coupling I pump the mixed slurry up to the opposite end of the shed/tank which brings the solids back to the pump. Motorway lamppost are ideal as they have plenty of steel and good length s, right size for welding the 5" fittings onto, and have a male/ female end in once the lamp elbow is removed and Sharples usually has loads of them. If anyone is interested I could see if I could get a photo or two. My only gripe is the fuel to stir them and they are never ready when you want them!

  25. #25
    Senior Member Recycled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    604

    Re: Slurry mixing

    Quote Originally Posted by north coaster View Post
    I have several tanks around the 100-120ft long, all have just the one access type slat at one of the long ends which is stirred with an NC pump, can't remember the size but it's not a great big one, 3000 rings a bell. These tanks are emptied 3 to 4 times a season anyway, with no slat lifting, tanks are 10-12ft deep. The difference being is I have motorway lampposts welded together up above the gate partitions in each shed with fittings on each end for a small section of pipe that can be used in each shed, so using the top fill coupling I pump the mixed slurry up to the opposite end of the shed/tank which brings the solids back to the pump. Motorway lamppost are ideal as they have plenty of steel and good length s, right size for welding the 5" fittings onto, and have a male/ female end in once the lamp elbow is removed and Sharples usually has loads of them. If anyone is interested I could see if I could get a photo or two. My only gripe is the fuel to stir them and they are never ready when you want them!
    what are you emptying the shed with , tanker or umbilical ?
    we used to do similar but with a length of layflat pipe .
    our shed had 2 rows of 30 cubicals per side and two sides .
    with tankers mixing it was no problem
    first time with umbilical
    after winter first winter of mixing and adding water we learned very quickly , mix it before spreading and mix it right we had to get the layflat to try and mixt it but if it was done right in the first place ..............
    if you got the (single) pump in to mix before the slurry was up touching the steel beams at the end of the shed that held the end slats up it mixed no problem , each side circulated , the pump either in the feed barrier side or the cubical , as it blasted down one side there was nothing to stop the crust coming up and round the other side and back to the pump , then it was just a case of keeping it liquid for a fortnight till the contractor turned up
    now working for a contractor you cant tell farmers enough to get there slurry mixed right . i cant tell you how many times iv heard , the towers not needing mixed its just full of water . no its not , it doesnt matter if its 100,000 gal of 1000,000 gal , the thick stuff is all in that crust in the top . and then theres the farmers that , pumped a few loads of water over the hedge in the winter but its ok theres pleanty more inthere , ffs you just no at the end of the day theres going to to be a ring of shyte left in it and the compressors going to be dying on its are trying to blow the dung out the pipes , seriously you just cant tell them .............................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •