Thread: Lifters on combine

Lifters on combine

Is it worth useing crop lifters in a standing crop with new holland header ?

Re: Lifters on combine

Can't see them making any difference.... If they are on the header, the question should probably be, is it worth taking them off.... Answer - No

Quote Originally Posted by 5814WF View Post

You could if you had to, ie in between flat crops and not worth taking them off but bare in mind that if they are down in contact with the ground then there is the ever present risk of spearing something and the resulting damage, but also that you will be wearing the heel out where it contacts the ground which leads to the risk of it fracturing. I can vouch that the CR chopper will destroy most of the folded over top rail, but the actual pointy bit/tip will make quite a mess of a few blades. They are a "wearing part" and I bin them when the wear is past 60% - they never seem to go much further in one piece.

We had someone with a prototype combine here in 2007 and he ran most of the time with them on until we stabbed a big hampshire diamond that stuffed several lifters, fingers and a very expensive knife, it also took quite a bit of bashing to get it align up reasonably. Our driver uses them when needs must, otherwise they are off.

Quote Originally Posted by 5814WF View Post
    If you have spuds in the rotation,,,, take em off when you don't need them,,,, or else you'll find it with the separator and destroy your 2nd web as it tries to drop through in the ducky dark,,,, you "missed" it coz you where tired and been there a week doesn't cut the mustard with the "boss" ,,,,, neither does blaming him for dropping the bloody lifter,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    You could if you had to, ie in between flat crops and not worth taking them off but bare in mind that if they are down in contact with the ground then there is the ever present risk of spearing something and the resulting damage, but also that you will be wearing the heel out where it contacts the ground which leads to the risk of it fracturing. I can vouch that the CR chopper will destroy most of the folded over top rail, but the actual pointy bit/tip will make quite a mess of a few blades. They are a "wearing part" and I bin them when the wear is past 60% - they never seem to go much further in one piece.

We had someone with a prototype combine here in 2007 and he ran most of the time with them on until we stabbed a big hampshire diamond that stuffed several lifters, fingers and a very expensive knife, it also took quite a bit of bashing to get it align up reasonably. Our driver uses them when needs must, otherwise they are off.
    +1
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Something else to add about crop lifters, re-reading the mention of fracturing made me remember one of them catching me out last year when helping to remove some.

One that was pretty worn on the heel, enough for it to snap in my hand as the action of lifting it up to un-hook the lifter off the finger fractured it and it effectively did a cart-wheel spin in front of me as I was semi-stooped over it- didn't know which end it was but one of them tapped me on the forehead- luckily nothing serious and just a scratch.

Thanks for your comments but due to the change in the weather looks like wheat and barley could go down so keeping them on! thanks alot