Thread: #NoLambWeek

#NoLambWeek

Has this idea got many followers, there are a few on twitter but not the thousands of farmers that I thought it might have and that it needs. I think the principle is there but not sure how effective it will be. Im happy to Join in if its going to be worthwhile, we only send lambs about once a month so doesn't really affect us.

Anyone else joining in?

Re: #NoLambWeek

Happy to join in, not sure it'll even be noticed.
    Be better doing like the French and burning down some stuff!!

We'll be participating but there will be plenty who will take advantage when they are offered a few more pennies/kg to take their lambs along to the abattoir that week.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

It's a daft idea that will achieve absolutely nothing other than making the participants feel that they are doing 'something', IMHO.

Ok so no lambs or very few for one week then double the numbers the following week which
    will crash the price even more, not to sure what that will achive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
    Ok so no lambs or very few for one week then double the numbers the following week which
    will crash the price even more, not to sure what that will achive.
    I do agree with that, it would be far better if it was no lamb month really but people still need regular cash flow. But I still like the idea

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    It's a daft idea that will achieve absolutely nothing other than making the participants feel that they are doing 'something', IMHO.
    Totally agree, even more so with the warning that the suppliers and supermarkets have had. The response of a beef or chicken promotion if there are any supply issues is fairly obvious and it is "punishing" the supermarkets that are playing fair at the moment too rather than singling out the worse ones.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

A single week is not very long especially if more lambs come to the market the week before and after , lamb is not like milk.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I wish lamb prices were better like everyone else but no lamb week is a terrible idea. Giving retailers 2 weeks advance notice that there will be no welsh lamb. The last thing a retailer will accept is an empty shelf for their customers. They'll be straight across to Ireland to fill the gap or source more antipodean from somewhere.

I'm not that happy there's NZ on our shelves at this time of year but I suspect the Euro and increased supply in the British Isles has caused most of the problem. In Northern Ireland we're getting 3.05/kg or 4.34/kg if you like. This time last year we were getting 3.50 which was 4.41 on the exchange rate at the time. So price is back 7c in Euro terms but 45p/kg because of the strong pound.