Thread: NFU broadband and mobile survey

NFU broadband and mobile survey

online here

Can you get 3G or 4G?
    Can you usually get reliable mobile cover?
    Is your internet fast enough?

I've noticed a trend to massage away problem areas by smoothing data e.g. mobile coverage maps.
    This is a cynical way to avoid spending on any actual infrastructure.
    They'll still come up with 95% coverage type claims, and claim they are being benevolent but on the ground there's no change or it got worse.

Re: NFU broadband and mobile survey

Done
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    online here

Can you get 3G or 4G?
    Can you usually get reliable mobile cover?
    Is your internet fast enough?

I've noticed a trend to massage away problem areas by smoothing data e.g. mobile coverage maps.
    This is a cynical way to avoid spending on any actual infrastructure.
    They'll still come up with 95% coverage type claims, and claim they are being benevolent but on the ground there's no change or it got worse.
    Whilst I can sympathise with your view, in pure business terms, if you were BT, would you spend the money to connect up farms and very small villages? I don't think it would pay, hence they haven't done it.

If you want the tax payer to foot the bill mind, that is a different matter. One could argue that spending government money to improve the national infrastructure could be a wise way of providing long term jobs and giving worthwhile benefits to the economy. On a short term return on investment though, BT just won't do it.

Much the same is true of the other utilities.

The joys of privatisation.

I understand the business point of view thing but how do you explain that in Australia you can get 4G in most places and 3g is normally available apart from some extremely remote places?
    They have nothing like the population densities that our remote places have. In our "remote" farms you can usually hear someone else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Whilst I can sympathise with your view, in pure business terms, if you were BT, would you spend the money to connect up farms and very small villages? I don't think it would pay, hence they haven't done it.

If you want the tax payer to foot the bill mind, that is a different matter. One could argue that spending government money to improve the national infrastructure could be a wise way of providing long term jobs and giving worthwhile benefits to the economy. On a short term return on investment though, BT just won't do it.

Much the same is true of the other utilities.

The joys of privatisation.
    Fair point but there is assistance available to many through the the broadband connection grant thingy offering 3k to improve infrastructure. We've got two lines to separate businesses on site so qualify for 6k, however the solutions available don't really work for us in the long term. Short term they suggest we install EFM and use part of the grant to help with the monthly cost. Once this runs out after 12 months or so though our bb cost leaps from the package we are on now by more than 100/month which is getting a bit silly.

There is talk of fibre distribution points being developed which can be mounted on a distribution pole (often found at farm entrances etc where the line branches) rather than in street cabinets which may offer hope for the future.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Did survey and the got to the end, not Scotland