Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: Electric quads?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Electric quads?

    Anyone tried one yet? Are any of them worth buying yet or are they still something to watch for the future?
    (No fuel station on this island & very difficult to get it across on the ferry. On the face of it, a quad that plugs into the solar panels sounds a good idea!)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Re: Electric quads?

    I worked on a farm were they had electric John Deere gators, range was surprisingly good with new batteries, but they do degrade over time. But it was only 2wd, it was quiet powerful too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,340

    Re: Electric quads?

    A lot of the time it could work quite well since they typically don't go far from home - but for most there'd always be some days when the running time became an issue.You'd probably need a backup petrol one (rather like the wider problems with renewables - duplication).

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Anyone tried one yet? Are any of them worth buying yet or are they still something to watch for the future?
    (No fuel station on this island & very difficult to get it across on the ferry. On the face of it, a quad that plugs into the solar panels sounds a good idea!)
    Don't worry about panels. Given the cost of 'filling' an electric car that can do 200 miles is less than 5 on off peak juice, solar panels become a waste of time to charge it.

    In time battery technology will advance.

    Of course the benefits of electric vehicles, particularly for off road use, is that you get a LOT of torque regardless of operating speed, they are very quiet and have zero emissions. With fewer moving parts, less need for braking and servicing etc etc etc.

    In time we will wonder what the fascination with internal combustion engines was.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    A lot of the time it could work quite well since they typically don't go far from home - but for most there'd always be some days when the running time became an issue.You'd probably need a backup petrol one (rather like the wider problems with renewables - duplication).
    From the OP's point of view though it sounds as though this is the sort of thing he is currently facing with a petrol one. Are there many electric ones about at the moment? Who makes them?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    From the OP's point of view though it sounds as though this is the sort of thing he is currently facing with a petrol one. Are there many electric ones about at the moment? Who makes them?
    Aye. The only legal way to get petrol just now is to put a motor bike on the ferry to to the mainland, (25 round trip) fill it up & then siphon it when we get home !

    What got me thinking about electric quads was a trial on Eigg. they had a Polaris EV and some other little bright coloured thing that looked like a Tonka Toy. (I'll find a link & edit it in.) Made me wonder what else is around.

    Here we go ... http://ecofunkytravelling.com/2015/0...-isle-of-eigg/ - sorry I remembered wrong - it was a Gator plus the Mickey Mouse thing in the trial. Polaris do make one but I've never met anyone who has one .. http://www.rocketcentre.co.uk/polari...ranger-ev_4665
    Last edited by mongrel; 17-08-15 at 10:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Don't worry about panels. Given the cost of 'filling' an electric car that can do 200 miles is less than 5 on off peak juice, solar panels become a waste of time to charge it.
    We have the panels anyway so might as well use them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Re: Electric quads?

    This looks like a bit of fun!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswDVzCaxXo

    There are a couple of electric gators on ebay. I think there designed for the golf course rather than agri duty.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-DEERE...item33a6fafcfe

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Suffolk
    Posts
    367

    Re: Electric quads?

    Small traction motors and their controllers are well established technology for golf buggies and the like, and within their limits are pretty good.

    An 85 amp.hour leisure battery has an energy capacity of about 1 kW.hour, which allowing for efficiency losses in the motor and transmission is about the same as 1 bhp.hour if you prefer those units: not much compared with a small petrol engine and its fuel tank.

    However, the same batteries weigh around 17 kg each (and cost about 50 each off the internet) and a quad might have at least 2, and maybe 3 or 4 of them before getting rather heavy.

    The other thing is that road vehicles normally only use an average of about 10% of their rated power, and a quad may use rather more proportionately, but the average used will still be a fraction of the peak available.

    Furthermore, if the route involves ups and downs, the braking effort downhill can be done using an electric motor regeneratively, thus recharging batteries to some extent.

    I think you're talking about an electric quad having the effectve power in normal use of over 10 bhp, with a run-time of over an hour, and possibly substantially more if carrying a large traction battery..


    For the record, if the vehicle were 100% efficient, 1kW.hour is enough to lift over a ton about 1,000 ft in altitude, and even if you halve that to allow for various losses, it still sounds quite a useful capacity, always assuming that the sums just done in my head are about correct - and they may not be!

    Whether an electric vehicle is practical or not depends very much on the type of usage, and how much you're prepared to pay for much lighter but much more expensive Lithium-based traction batteries. Electric boats (on the other hand) are remarkably practical as long as you don't need high speeds....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Owain852 View Post
    This looks like a bit of fun!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswDVzCaxXo
    That looks incredibly weird but really fun to drive!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Found this just by Googling. Anyone heard of it?
    http://www.epowertrucks.co.uk/news-u...l-electric-4x4

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    186

    Re: Electric quads?

    Looks good not sure what the range would be

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8ZzZuT-bg

    Range test American style

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mazFFNDdA

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Knight View Post
    Looks good not sure what the range would be
    Your 2nd link, they seem proud that it goes 3x the one that managed 6 miles. So maybe 18 miles plus? I need about 12 miles to get to the ferry and back, so might get nervey if I gave anyone a lift home?!
    I emailed them to ask what the range and ground clearance are.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    186

    Re: Electric quads?

    Would they give you a demo for your online review your writing?

    Suppose I never thought of you needing to travel miles to a ferry..............would there be anywhere near the ferry for a quick charge...........I suspect thats a stupid question but there are staring to be electric car charging points and a lot seem to be PAYG or an small annual fee or free

    http://chargeyourcar.org.uk/

    http://www.nextgreencar.com/electric...ing-points.php

    Lastly if you get stuck on the way back no need for you to panic................. your friend can just push

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Knight View Post
    Would they give you a demo for your online review your writing?

    Suppose I never thought of you needing to travel miles to a ferry..............would there be anywhere near the ferry for a quick charge...........I suspect thats a stupid question but there are staring to be electric car charging points and a lot seem to be PAYG or an small annual fee or free

    http://chargeyourcar.org.uk/

    http://www.nextgreencar.com/electric...ing-points.php

    Lastly if you get stuck on the way back no need for you to panic................. your friend can just push
    I was considering one a few years ago, went to what was supposed to be the importer, place enpty, people next door said that there were people coming every day.
    I would say that they are for local (yard, etc) work, not for fetching stock from hills

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    186

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    I was considering one a few years ago, went to what was supposed to be the importer, place enpty, people next door said that there were people coming every day.
    I would say that they are for local (yard, etc) work, not for fetching stock from hills

    You may be right for all I know but sounds like the OP has a right palaver to get petrol, seems bizarre to me I take its not the Vital Spark Captained by Master Mariner Para Handy running the ferry service

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw95tQ4yJlI

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    gloucestershire
    Posts
    46

    Re: Electric quads?

    A slightly disabled lady in our village had one about two years ago,which she used for taking her dogs for a walk. It was great till it went wrong,BACK UP SERVICE WAS USELESS,so she has gone back to a petrol one.Unfortunately I can not remember what make it was,but I don't think it was a well known make.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Just heard back from the people selling the "Vanish". It's range is 25 miles per charge "and less off-road".
    Beginning to sound like I need to sit back & wait for the technology to improve.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    711

    Re: Electric quads?

    I am just going to throw this out - I don't know if a conversion kit exists but a couple of decades ago people were converting their gasoline engines to run on Natural Gas or Propane.

    How hard is it to get NG or Propane? Could something like this be an alternative?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    372

    Re: Electric quads?

    http://www.ecochargerquads.com/
    Like the idea of these and seen them at various shows, but haven't seen any on farm and not keen to be guinea pig.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    186

    Re: Electric quads?

    They look even better not that I know anything about quads

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs5L_nCLup4

    Just take the car instead.........looks good to me

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHIMwAUcoA

  22. #22
    Senior Member wr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Breconshire
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Just heard back from the people selling the "Vanish". It's range is 25 miles per charge "and less off-road".
    Beginning to sound like I need to sit back & wait for the technology to improve.
    Now, there's a fine opportunity for the electric quad company to prove its product and put one on the island for 6 or 12 months as a demo.
    They could get some good write ups in the farming press and off road mags if the things live up to expectations.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I am just going to throw this out - I don't know if a conversion kit exists but a couple of decades ago people were converting their gasoline engines to run on Natural Gas or Propane.

    How hard is it to get NG or Propane? Could something like this be an alternative?
    Good idea but no, none of those here.
    We have coal, wood, diesel and electric. The other half fancies one of these http://www.highlandponysociety.com/index.php?id=33 but I prefer something that only eats when it's working.
    What we do just now is take a fuel cube on a trailer & meet the diesel delivery tanker at the point where the tarmac runs out at the bottom of the hill, then tow it back & use a little electric pump to transfer it to the permanent tank in the yard. Then we use it to run two vintage M.F. tractors and a 20 year old Toyota Hilux. She'll rust away one of these years & I was wondering if an electric replacement of some sort would be easier.
    Sounds like I need to nurse her along for a bit more.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    164

    Re: Electric quads?

    Have you considered a diesel atv instead? There's at least 3 brands available here.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Apparently Tesla are going to bring out an electric pickup truck. What do you think the chances are that a normal mortal will be able to afford one?

  26. #26
    Senior Member wr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Breconshire
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Electric quads?

    Electric 4x4's They'll love em in Chelsea.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

  27. #27
    Senior Member v12cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    418

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Don't worry about panels. Given the cost of 'filling' an electric car that can do 200 miles is less than 5 on off peak juice, solar panels become a waste of time to charge it.

    In time battery technology will advance.

    [....]

    In time we will wonder what the fascination with internal combustion engines was.
    Fuel storage energy density basically.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

    Chart makes interesting reading.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Islands
    Posts
    107

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    Fuel storage energy density basically.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

    Chart makes interesting reading.
    So what you're telling me is if I can't get hold of uranium I should run it on cheese.


    Sorry. Understand what you're saying. Thing is from my point of view diesel/petrol are hard to obtain whereas I can make my own electricity. So batteries don't have to improve to a level where they're more efficient than diesel, just until they're efficient enough to do what I need.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,051

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Anyone tried one yet? Are any of them worth buying yet or are they still something to watch for the future?
    (No fuel station on this island & very difficult to get it across on the ferry. On the face of it, a quad that plugs into the solar panels sounds a good idea!)
    This'll get you going

    http://www.gizmag.com/artega-karo-el...6ba82-90578269

    JV

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Electric quads?

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    That looks partly dangerous but totally hilarious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •