Thread: Just how many rules can you break?

Just how many rules can you break?

Got a customer who like many others in this region is reporting very good yields in wheat.

You will not believe the strategy adopted. (quite contrary to my advice and conscience mind before you start).

100% drilled to Santiago. A high yielding but otherwise dirty sod of a variety in a localised region notorious for yellow rust.

Over 50% of it second wheats. No latitude used. No BYDV spray applied to most of it. No T3 whatsoever.

120 units N total. Crop thick and tall as hell. I was concerned believe me.

Half the farm was direct drilled (Claydon). Only the 1st wheats behind beans had Cyclops (vol beans, so much for a 'rapid' bean kill- took ages) and insecticide in November. Resultant yield knocking door of 5t/acre on these fields.

Second wheats also passing 4t/acre, no Latitude, no BYDV spray. Pre-em applied, 3 fields had Atlantis at half rate (+/- spitfire) for meadow grass etc and cleavers.

I mean if you wanted to create the perfect scenario for a massive cock up you had it right there. Must be the luck of the Irish. I can only surmise that his general soil fertility and soil structure were so good his crop didn't ever feel the effect of take all etc.

Anything to learn from this?

Not sure really, but I have found 3/4 rate Crystal is the kiddie for my dairy farms. Literally halts everything in it's tracks. Some PRG normally escapes the net but easily wiped out in spring with Broadway Star (which unlike Axial also does the BLWs at the same time).

Meanwhile not far up the road the local well known cow and chicken farmers are harvesting in excess of 4t/acre everywhere despite a ZERO N,P and K bill.

The barley barons must be reading this in anger.

Re: Just how many rules can you break?

Maybe he's also breaking the golden rule I was taught as a child
    "Tell the truth even when it hurts"
    Or he's got a duff weighbridge or high moisture content

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Maybe he's also breaking the golden rule I was taught as a child
    "Tell the truth even when it hurts"
    Or he's got a duff weighbridge or high moisture content
    Well he knows how much wheat fits into his trailers and the fields are mapped with GPS.

He has nothing to gain from fabricating his yields to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Well he knows how much wheat fits into his trailers and the fields are mapped with GPS.

Not even just to wind you up!!!

maybe he lucked into a weather pattern that allowed this combination to work, this time?

I believe it was a combination of very favourable weather, and sound soil structure and good background fertility. It is not a program I would encourage any one to use and I certainly will never want to see it repeated again. The BYDV issue, in particular is not something you can tangle with.

Never underestimate mother nature - for both good and bad!

Same next year - maybe a write off

Well ordered the seed for this autumn. No more beans, my to my chagrin, I enjoy growing them.

Not all Santiago again thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

Yeah everyone knows how much wheat fits in their trailers........ignoring MC% and screenings etc etc etc.
    Tons sold are the only true indicator.

In conclusion it appears a lot of very good yields have been reported. In particular I had two customers, dairy farmers of course, one of whom managed 4.5t/acre from an ancient variety and he only used 70 units. Another had a just over 4t/acre from nearly nothing, he merely used up a bit of nitrogen he had left when he was applying his nitrogen for his first cut.

Another arable customer had 3.25t/acre of spring barley despite the fact we did nothing different whatoever to last year. 50 units on top of the usual diet of chicken muck.

It has to be the intense periods of sunshine we had throughout the year particularly during grain fill.