Thread: Grainstore lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grainstore lights

Had 3 grain stores with elderly Tungsten Halogen 1000w and 1500w lamps to replace recently. They had been purchased some years ago when it became a requirement to have glass lamp lenses protected with safety film but it was never successful given the heat the TH lamp throws out, most would quickly end up crinkled and discoloured severely reducing the light output.

Having a dozen or so to do and the chance to move to LED made me wonder about using lamps we had already been using around the farm that I get from a local electrical supplier and applying the film ourselves. For the safety film I hunted around on Ebay and found a nice supplier from "oop north" who supplied a sq metre of the thickish anti-vandal stuff for under a tenner! Came with instructions on how to apply it and after the first one it soon became easy.

I traced round a glass and cut them out to size as opposed to the guide- made it easier to apply - you make up "slip" AKA soapy water and use it to clean the glass, then using a bit of sticky tape to peel off the backing film you spray slip on the film and glass, then get the film on the glass quickly, the guide advises using a plastic squeegee but I found that a rubber roller used for PVC sheet welding good to squeeze the film of slip out, once done it was easiest to put the glass back in the frame and into the lamp, the frame covers the film edges and holds it while you polish the film (some of the old TH lamps didn't and a broken glass merely fell out!!).

Lamps came from www.tlc-direct.co.uk looks like they are their "own" brand made in China like everything nowadays. They are COB LED's- ChipOnBoard apparently? Used 50w units as the barns are a bit too wide for the normal 30w I use to replace 500w TH lamps. The light is a lot brighter/whiter IYKWIM, The end picture has one lamp above the doorway and the second one you can see the light overflowing up onto the roof where is is halfway in. Originally there were Thorn 1500W enclosed TH lamps which were brighter when new but with age both the reflectors and glass/film made them easily 50% less than new, plus like all TH lamps the contact arms that hold the tube ends suffer from heat & corrosion in a vicious circle as they get older too.

The new lamps run much cooler and the film coating should last much longer as well as being more secure being clamped between the front frame and the bodys silicone seal

Purchased the film from here- http://tinyurl.com/odwf24n

Last edited by Footsfitter; 27-02-17 at 09:35 PM.

Re: Grainstore lights

LEDs are certainly affordable now and well worth considering for any new or replacement.
    I don't mind them in the house either, much better light quality than low energy CF bulbs even for reading fine print.
    The warmer shade might be more suitable in a lamp.

Remains to be seem how long they'll last in harsh outdoor situations like livestock sheds though.
    The little floodlight units do feel quite chunky and robust.
    I do like how they are instantly full brightness too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    LEDs are certainly affordable now and well worth considering for any new or replacement.
    I don't mind them in the house either, much better light quality than low energy CF bulbs even for reading fine print.
    The warmer shade might be more suitable in a lamp.

Remains to be seem how long they'll last in harsh outdoor situations like livestock sheds though.
    The little floodlight units do feel quite chunky and robust.
    I do like how they are instantly full brightness too.
    We've had a 3 bulb light fitting on the landing at home which over the years has blown its fair share of normal G9 bulbs, I hoped that moving to LED bulbs might calm it down a bit. All it's done is make the bulb eating habits of the fitting a lot more expensive!! LED's are great when they are working but frustrating when they don't get near the advertised life.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    We've had a 3 bulb light fitting on the landing at home which over the years has blown its fair share of normal G9 bulbs, I hoped that moving to LED bulbs might calm it down a bit. All it's done is make the bulb eating habits of the fitting a lot more expensive!! LED's are great when they are working but frustrating when they don't get near the advertised life.

Replaced seven 500w TH floodlights around the main farmhouse with the 30w versions used in the grainstore mainly because of reliability but the electric saving wasn't to be sniffed at, later I had the all the internal recessed 50mm reflector TH spots replaced because after 15 years the lamps short flex had perished from their extreme heat so they were becoming a fire risk. Replaced them with LV LED but they haven't lasted too well- there was an upstairs water leak and the kitchen ones didn't take too kindly to the water! although the on the plus side, in the summer the kitchen is a lot cooler surprisingly and I think the electric bill is less- they replaced over 75 of them throughout the farmhouse

Any update on the LED floodlights? We need to put some more light in the shed but I am wary of buying LED, granted they have some a long way. I would be needing each one to reasonably light a 20' x 40' section.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Any update on the LED floodlights? We need to put some more light in the shed but I am wary of buying LED, granted they have some a long way. I would be needing each one to reasonably light a 20' x 40' section.
    The 50w leds in the grain stores produce acceptable light for what we require although you wouldn't want to do a really fiddly job in there without extra lighting but then they are pretty wide and deep barns. the light seems very sharp and white with sharp shadows perhaps a result of the reflectors being plain whereas the old fashioned halogen use a dimpled reflector that scatters light and softens shadow outlines?

For use in harvest time and general stuff in the grain stores they seem a good compromise, 100% reliability so far and their running cost has to be a big winner. I'd go for ones with cooling fins on the outside similar to what we had from TLC as although these LEDs floodlights seem to run cooler I have had problems with the circuit board/chip burning out on a household replacement bulb application where there is no ability to keep their running temperature down because of the bulb design limiting it.

If your unsure then just get hold of one single 30w lamp and try it wired in on an extension lead and clamp it temporarily in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Have you thought about LED Corn Lamps?