Thread: You won't believe the price of this topper....

You won't believe the price of this topper....

Did anyone else get the email from Spaldings with that title?

I've been looking for a flail topper for a while to the edges of our stubble fields before ploughing starts. However, I could not believe the price of this topper on eBay. It was advertised by a local supplier who I'd never heard of before, so I thought I's better take a look.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Ve...item28060f4a05

2300 brand new. 2.2 metre
    Spaldings topper, 8995 ex Demo. 2.2metre.

This is the local one. I was quite impressed for it's money. So I've got one now and going OK so far, does exactly what I wanted it to do.

This is a newer one from the other side so moving the same way as the traffic.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: You won't believe the price of this topper....

I had a quick look around the pictures for the all important CE marking. Is there one on it anywhere? Even in the instruction manual is ok. The ebay listing is suggestive of it being manufactured in India or China and then shipped in crated and assembled in the UK. The CE marking would be anticipated to be on the black serial number plate on top, the problem is the Chinese in particular are notorious for just faking the approval and then claiming the letters mean Chinese Engineering instead of Certificate of European compliance. All the sub assemblies need to be CE compliant otherwise the overall CE marking is invalidated. If the importer fitted a Chinese or Indian non CE marked pto shaft that's against the law and would invalidate the CE marking for the rest of the machine if it had one. If it isn't CE approved the supplier broke the law selling it to you and you would be breaking the law (PUWER) if you instructed an employee to use it. Should it not be CE marked and it kicked out a stone etc and injured a pedestrian or cyclist you'd be almost certainly looking at jail time or a very heavy fine. Ebay is full of illegal machines and there isn't really much being done about it. Engineering wise it actually looks fine and probably does a good job. There's just a reason sometimes why things are cheap. The process of acquiring compliance is not a cheap one. Always check a machine has full VALID CE compliance before comparing it to other makes, especially if employees are going to use it.Hopefully it does have a CE approval somewhere,I've seen plenty of times there's nothing on the machine but it's in the instruction manual. You should see some of the things that I've bought over the years on ebay! Totally illegal to sell or use. Here's a nice moulded plug someone working from a flat or lockup garage with no technical background or understanding of the consumer law around the sale of electrical goods sold me along with a Li-on battery charger.

No CE marking, no kite mark, no BS mark and when we put it in the Xray machine at work no fuse either! the 10A is the max loading of the cable no doubt. I also bought a hot air gun one time that was fine in itself but had a Euro 3 contact plug (2 pins and an exposed strip to earth the device via the mating contact in the Euro socket. A converter to UK adaptor was supplied the only problem was there was no path to earth through the converter as it was for double insulated appliances! A good way to get electrocuted or prosecuted whichever came first.

You're probably not wrong. However this means it's costing nearly 7000 per topper to have it CE marked?
    Maybe Nigel Farage isn't as big of a knob as he's sometimes taken for.

Jim how has your flail topper been? I know you've not owned it long but I see they also sell trailed flails for behind a quad, I'd be interested in one of them rather than the linkage mounted one but was interested in the thoughts of someone who had seen and used their machinery. Also did you notice the CE mark on the machine or in the manual? (as TP had mentioned).