Thread: What cow lifter

What cow lifter

We're in the market for a down cow lifter, what ones can people recommend/vote against and why?
    cheers

Re: What cow lifter

We have a very good hip clamp from Fearings
    I also bought a Daisy lifter from Fearings & wonder why I bought it

We have a hip clamp as well and it is so easy to us that 1 man can do it. It is also good if you get a cow stuck in a hole, can lift the whole cow and move it with the hip clamp. Might not be the kindest on the cow but it is so easy it means the cow is lifted as and when needed.

Have heard of people with the belt type lifters using a hip lifter to get the belt under the cow.

I too have a hip lifter, allthough i agree they're no necessarily the nicest way to lift a cow when you're on your own it's practically the only way. I also use a piece of strap under the front of the cow to get a level lift. By fastening the hip hoist to the top of the implement carriage and the strap to the bottom, tilting or crowding the carriage transfers weight from front to back or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    We have a very good hip clamp from Fearings
    I also bought a Daisy lifter from Fearings & wonder why I bought it
    Ditto.
    The hip clamps have been very useful, but have only used the Daisy lifter once - but that's a good thing, isn't it!
    Like the reassurance of having the lifter ... just incase.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

I use an old tote bag spilt down the sides so it supports ribs and belly

We've got the daisy cow lifter from Fearing too and find it ok, it really depends on the animal and how "down" she is. Those suffering mildly are a real pain, there is quite a lot of setting up with the sling so if they try to leg it/roll over/move much at all you almost have to start again. Rolling them in to it works but again you only really want to be doing this with properly down animals as they are quite kicky as they go over.

I'm not 100% sure how effective putting them in the sling is, it certainly makes you feel as though you are doing something to help but are you also risking other damage to the cow? You can tell when the cow is feeling better though as you only have to go in the shed with the tractor and sling and they are up and away! Before the sling you got the impression some cows were beginning to enjoy being fed and watered with no effort on their part so at least it discourages this type of behaviour.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Does anyone sell these in the UK?

http://upsidaisycowlifter.com/
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I have a daisy lifter, as said a bit of a pain to put on on your own, but I have a wide lifting sling that I use to lift the cow to put the daisy lifter underneath her. Once the daisy lifter is on the cow when I put her down I tie it on with baler twine and its ready for the next lift. DONT tell your neighbours you have one, I lent mine out, asked for it back after a couple of weeks, dident get it for another couple of weeks so whent to fetch it ! Found it in the cattle shed, scrunched up covered in shit !!!!!! So instead of it being a nice red colour, now its red and stained cow shit colour and rusty metal work !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Does anyone sell these in the UK?

http://upsidaisycowlifter.com/
    this really does look an interesting bit of kit. First time I've seen it and it might be the best thing out there yet. Anyone used it or know of anyone who has used it?

I have a Daisy D lifter for sale if anyone interested ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    We're in the market for a down cow lifter, what ones can people recommend/vote against and why?
    cheers
    We send UpsiDaisy cowlifters all over the world, from Australia and US, check our website upsidaisycowlifter.
    Cheers Larry Osterhaus