Thread: HDPE Drive Pipe for Hyd Ram

HDPE Drive Pipe for Hyd Ram

Has anyone installed an HDPE drive pipe to their hyd ram?

Galv steel screw/socket pipes don't seem to last long, about ten years in our acid water. HDPE should last much longer. How to join HDPE pipes and is thermal expansion a problem?

Any advice appreciated.

Re: HDPE Drive Pipe for Hyd Ram

HDPE is often used for airline networks nowadays so would probably do the job but would it's shock absorbing properties have a detrimental effect on the action of the Hydram.

Probably little effect if used on the output but may be a different matter if used on the feed pipe..

http://www.allspeeds.co.uk/wp-conten...mbooklet59.pdf

There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Try asking George Courtald of Colne Engaine, Essex. I'm pretty sure he installed an MDPE feed pipe to a ram about 20 years ago. It should be well tested by now.

You won't get the same efficiency with a HDPE feed pipe as the operating principle of a ram pump is to convert the kinetic energy of the water flowing in the feed pipe into pressure by suddenly stopping it. If the feed pipe is flexible the pressure pulse will be partly absorbed. (Steel and cast iron also spring a bit but the effect is negligible) If you have plenty of water it might not matter greatly but the constant hammering could well split plastic pipe over time.
    I mend water pipes and mains for a living and HDPE and PVC account for most of the repairs. When we are pressure testing new steel or cast iron mains if they are leak free they will hold pressure indefinitely but MDPE and HPPE (new name for HDPE) slowly inflate and a logrithmic correction has to be made to distinguish between the pipe growing and a small leak.

Interesting post there Maico. I used a Blakes Hydram pump for 30 years and was very pleased with it's performance and simplicity. Initially I dealt with Blakes themselves for spares but then they seemed to disappear and I found a firm in your part of the World called Green and Carter and there was a Charles Doble there who was really helpful for spares.

Originally I used to have a chap who used to work for Blakes but who had gone out on his own to come and service it but over time I got to understand the principle and only ever needed new clack rubbers and the plug that went in the side with a tiny hole in it. Was the hole 15 thou. and called a waste valve or is that what the clack was called ? There was a public footpath that ran by the side of the ram and people would stop and ask what it was and I used to delight in telling them that I paid no water rates because my water was free ! Actually it wasn't, I used to have to pay 2/year "environmental charge" I didn't argue about that.

Can you tell me what the diifference is please between MDPE and HPPE please ?

Good question zaza. I'd like to know the difference too, and also what the first "P" in the now handle means.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

Can you tell me what the diifference is please between MDPE and HPPE please ?
    All here:http://www.gpsuk.com/catalogue/

HPPE is PE100 and MDPE is PE80

I thought this was worth a look at

Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maico490 View Post
    All here:http://www.gpsuk.com/catalogue/

HPPE is PE100 and MDPE is PE80
    Apologies. Forgot to thank you for that Maico.