Thread: Help what Internal/external lights to use in new cattle shed and yard,

Help what Internal/external lights to use in new cattle shed and yard,

Hello all, some of you over the years have built new sheds and yards and put in lighting and I would like to know how you got on. I have a shed 80 feet long and 68 feet wide that I want to light up, The outside yard is around 100 by 100 feet and in the winter I want to be able to light it up when working. All of the older sheds have 5ft double florescent lamps at one per 15x15 ft area of shed. Outside on the old sheds we have the orange light that takes forever to light up and light is very dim. I have one 400 watt metal halide lamp and it is very bright but the bulbs run 50Euros each. I have just one cheap LED light that is very poor.
    In my new shed if I were to use the double flourescent 5ft lamps I would install at least 20 (thats 4 rows of 5 lamps) and then put one metal halide 400w on the outside. If I go LED what do I need?
    Also since I want to be able to view my cows in this shed on my Iphone or laptop I want to be able to switch on any one of the 4 rows of lamps via my phone or laptop. Have any of you done this and what are the pitfalls? I know I can buy cheap LED's on the net but I want a LED lamp that can be power washed and that will last years and be low maintenance. I want to activate the outside lights by motion sensors so I dont have to walk up a dark yard to get to a light switch. Any advice would be appreciated on lights and cameras.

Re: Help what Internal/external lights to use in new cattle shed and yard,

We have a cow shed 55 feet wide and 180 feet long; we've lit it with 5 foot fluorescents and it works well. Our lighting consists of twin tubes with one fitting per bay, they are mounted about half way between the eves and ridge and are staggered so that one fitting is one side of the ridge, the next in the next bay is the other side and so on. It's then wired so that each side is switched independently and it works well for us.

Some cameras can be set up to switch lights on via camera apps et however we installed ours a few years ago when this option was less common. As a result we've installed a GSM switch which we use to control the lighting. It's just a sim card within a switch mounted alongside the light switches so we can use either to activate one set of lights in the shed. The GSM switch is on a 10 minute timer and you just phone the lights to turn them on. It's also handy at harvest etc as you can turn the shed lights on before you arrive back to park up for the night. The camera is a low light capable camera so the half lighting turned on in the shed is more than adequate to view the cows at calving time.

Outside we are moving to LED fittings, only got a few up so far but they work well on PIR's. No recommendations on brands etc so far though as they've not been up long enough. The immediate light also works well with cameras that use motion detection as the change from dark to light triggers the motion detector software (it's looking for changes in the picture rather than motion really).
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Personally I hate motion sensors on yard lights and have removed most of mine, they won't come on when you want them, then go off just as you stop to do something
    Much better to have a remote controlled light or put them on a dusk/dawn sensor or timer switch.
    Got some new led floodlights and am impressed with quality of light, price and instant light...time will tell how they last.
    Some of the newer double 5ft fluorescent fittings have given grief blowing trips and ballast failing.

Earlier this year I fitted a fair few Led spotlights round the yards and wired them via somfy LED lighting receivers and programmed them into a somfy remote. If you get the patio T4s remote you get 5 channels and it's not that bad on price. You can get 16 channel ones from them too but the price goes up sharpish. I can turn on seperate areas with the remote from over 30 meters away. Brilliant during lambing when someones going out at all hours and doesn't need the whole yard lit up but just certain sections.

Remote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-channel-...item19d8386c48

Lighting receiver:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Somfy-Outd...item1c37ffdfff

Banged it all in an IP rated box and works well. Just run a power lead from a 13a plug top to the receiver and program up. If you want more lights to come on at the same time then instead of the lighting receiver, use a 2kw universal receiver and connect a few lamps to it. Otherwise use the lighting one and program each lamp into a seperate channel on the remote. You can also add extra remotes and program them the same so if you lose one you aren't stuffed.

Im going on Saturday to get a few AMLED100

https://www.dungannonelectrical.co.u...s/pg_LED395542

105 each

Am going to go with 20 5ft fluorescent doubles and a single low wattage led to be left on 24 hrs a day as a night light. Outside I will go with 2 80 watt leds. The fluorescent lamps will take led tubes when the price of the tubes drop. I will use relays to allow switching on individual rows of lights from phone. Not sure about pirs or remotes or switch at entrance gate to activate outside lights. What type of camera system do I need to monitor shed? Thanks to all of you for your inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by GALCAM View Post
    Am going to go with 20 5ft fluorescent doubles and a single low wattage led to be left on 24 hrs a day as a night light. Outside I will go with 2 80 watt leds. The fluorescent lamps will take led tubes when the price of the tubes drop. I will use relays to allow switching on individual rows of lights from phone. Not sure about pirs or remotes or switch at entrance gate to activate outside lights. What type of camera system do I need to monitor shed? Thanks to all of you for your inputs!
    I've got a PTZ (pan tilt zoom) camera in my shed and it works really well, it's worth bearing in mind there are complications with the set up though.

You'll need to position the PTZ fairly close to the ridge without it being exposed to weather so open ridges could present slight problems with snow and rain blow.

The single view point will create blind spots behind straw rings etc and monitoring calving cows can be tricky if they are facing the wrong way!

Shadows at night created by a single row of lights can make a single viewpoint less useful too as the camera will generally base it's settings on the wider view of the image rather than the shadowed area. Some cameras allow exposure adjustments whilst viewing though.

You may find the idea of several static IP cameras a better bet for coverage; depends a bit on the shed layout but you could connect them via a switch to one comms cable or similar. You'd also be able to install several static IP cameras for the price of one PTZ. I installed a Panasonic PTZ camera for our shed and have since installed a Lilin static camera watching the calving pens, however some people are finding the cheaper Chinese cameras work pretty well.

When we installed ours resolution was not great on IP cameras so the optical zoom function came in really handy. Digital zoom offers a good compromise now as resolutions have improved, especially if you are using several cameras and are therefore nearer the animal in the first place.
    Last edited by foxbox; 12-10-15 at 11:29 PM.

Has anyone any experience of the camera kits and service provided by Agricamera?

Has anyone any experience of the camera kits and service provided by Agricamera?
    Sleepygit started Agricamera when he was still a member here before the crash, there's a lot of history to that as you may or may not know. He was/is very knowledgeable and helped many (myself included) set up systems on here and I know that there are people about with good experiences of his company. I guess that his involvement with TFF will mean there are more experiences of Agricamera on there than on here.

There are other companies that sell pre-configured kit too, I've bought kit of Networkwebcams before and found their advice and service very useful however they don't do the wireless bridge type stuff.

Contacted Agricamera and am going to use there software and equipment. A PTZ inside and a few bullit cameras as well. Since the PTZ does not do infra red I know I will need to be able to activate lights and I would love if there software would do that.

Contacted Agricamera and am going to use there software and equipment. A PTZ inside and a few bullit cameras as well. Since the PTZ does not do infra red I know I will need to be able to activate lights and I would love if there software would do that.
    You can buy separate infra red lights if you want them, I think you'll find a way of turning proper lights on remotely more useful though.