Thread: How often do you bed your cows?

How often do you bed your cows?

Our cows lie on good new mattresses, Teemores installed last winter.

We bed them twice daily with an Ag Maxi, the wheelbarrow type machine, with sawdust.

It has become very unreliable and hard work to maintain, looking at buying a new one but also considering a loader mounted Ag Dispenser, how often do people bed with these?

I wouldnt mind using more sawdust, and would like my cows cleaner, but would i get away with every couple of days?

Re: How often do you bed your cows?

About once every ten days to a fortnight with our shelbourne 120 along the heads of the cubicles. Pull back with hand scraper twice a day. Cows do half the work themselves.

Likewise - top up as required but put way too much up front and cows work a lot backwards themselves.... (I have an AG 175 never missed a beat - I did put a new belt on it when I bought it spares or repair but the whole mechanism drops nicely out the bottom on 4 big bolts which made this very easy)

I am told the ag dispenser is ok but there is a Canadian(?) machine which is far more heavily built. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.