Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

hi all , we are currently restoring a 68' fergie 35x for a friend , its a full strip down - check everything over and replace or repair job , stay tuned for regular updates over the next few weeks , the owner has inherited the tractor from his uncle and he informs me that the engine was reconditioned a few years back so hopefully it will not have to be touched , first off was to get rid of the old ford cab that was fitted to it many years ago , it had literally rotted on to the half axles and we had to use some serious force to get it off ! :thumbup:

Re: MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

once the cab , bonnet , tank and dash were out of the way we got her outside for a well deserved soaking in jizer degreaser and a good long blast of the power hose ,

so as usual with most things it hadn't seen a grease gun since it was new and needless to say the front axle and drop legs were shot , so we stripped them ( well to be honest they just fell out when we jacked her up lol ) and rebuilt them with all new shims and bearings , also the center pivot beam had wore into an oval shape so that has to be replaced as well , when we were at it he wanted to fit a new clutch and investigate a fairly major oil leak coming from the bottom of the bell housing , when we split her we found out that the rope seal on the crankshaft was gone so we replaced that with a new one also , few pics .

another juicy thread to pour over I love it
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

The "X" was a cracking tractor. Good to see one being rescued. A couple of things. One of the linkage arms has had some serious grief being bent and repaired where they always let go. And the other thing, which I am sure you know, is when you put the new bush in the trunnion housing on the front axle put 2 of them in. Never understood why MF only ever put 1 in when there is room for 2.

Talking Re: MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The "X" was a cracking tractor. Good to see one being rescued. A couple of things. One of the linkage arms has had some serious grief being bent and repaired where they always let go. And the other thing, which I am sure you know, is when you put the new bush in the trunnion housing on the front axle put 2 of them in. Never understood why MF only ever put 1 in when there is room for 2.
    hi zaza , thanks for the heads up , we have noticed that alright , in fact there was a large jubilee clip attempting to hold in the remaining bush in the trunnion housing when we stripped it down , needless to say it wasnt doing a very good job , we have got a load of new bits this morning from wesley mackeys and there is actually two options available to us now , they have supplied two bush's or one long bush that covers the center pin and takes out the play , i will upload pictures later to make it clearer , hopefully one of there options will be the best and i think the new pivot arm also has a grease nipple fitted which the old one had not .

Talking Re: MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

the owner and myself are on the look out for a decent set of original 35x mudguards and also a proper hitch and draw bar assembly for the back of the tractor , if the wings need a bit of fettling its not a problem , cash waiting !!!!
    you can contact me ( terry 0877437783 ) .

That rear crank seal can be a real pain to get right. 35X great little tractor, cut my tractor driving teeth on one of them and 188's. Remember spreading slurry with dad's X and 1300 gallon tanker, bit of overkill but pulled better than uncles 590 4wd.

new center beam arrived today with some new bushes , its as tight as a drum now ,

​You put the back wheels on the wrong way round. Unless it's the buckrake tractor.

Lightbulb Re: MASSEY FERGUSON 35X restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    ​You put the back wheels on the wrong way round. Unless it's the buckrake tractor.
    ha ha wel spotted elvis , no they are only on that way for washing , gives us better access !!!

I have a 35X myself that I use most days, it still works quite hard. Saw a pic of it the other day that must be nigh on 40 years old. Same driver, same trailer. I think the receipt is still in the drawer, 375 new. We've had very good value out of it!

If I wanted an original swinging drawbar for it what would I have to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Think they need to correct the wheel alignment too- its going to be a bugger to steer with that much toe-out

small update guys , we decided to put her temporarily back together yesterday and give her a bit of a run to check out the clutch and the new brakes , everything seems to working fine but when we got her back into the shed the blasted new rope seal that we fitted to the crankshaft is leaking again so we had to split her again last night and investigate , only managed to take a few pics and a short video of her running .

quick video of her running ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmLNOYJ4k0

Fair play, you fellas have a lot of patience. Reminds me of my youngest son - every nut, bolt and washer has to come off.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

got stuck into the wee massey again yesterday and noticed that one of the brake pedals had a lot of play in it even after fitting the new shoes and adjusting them up so i whipped off the pedals and noticed that the activating rod was well worn where it connects to the back end so i manufactured a shim from an old one i had lying about and it worked a treat , i have a full set of brass bushings ordered for the pedals and housing so i wil get them fitted tomorrow and hopefully they will make a job of her , some pics .

so with that taken care of it was time to change the oil in the back end , it seems that this had not been done for a very very long time judging by the sh*t that came out of it , not sure where the needle bearings have come from but they warrant further investigation

so it was off with the lift head and top of the gearbox and a thorough flush out with kerosene and a good blow through with the air line afterwards , still cant see where the damn bearings have come from which is kind of worrying ???

when the lift head was off the client decided he want the draft control spring that lives under the seat replaced because it was badly worn and not working properly , thats when the fun started trying to get it shifted , plenty of heat ,c cursing , a big hammer and ample amounts of blood sweat and a few tears from the ould fella we managed to get it out , a new one is on order , lets hope it goes in a bit easier , me nerves wont be able for it !!!!

got a load of new bits yesterday and started to piece her back together , first off the draft control system ,

then stuck on some new gaskets and replaced the top of the gearbox and the steering box , and also the side covers ready for some new oil .

i have also replaced al the pins and bushes in the pedals but i dont have any clear pictures of these ( camera phone is on the way out )

we got a new swinging draw bar assembly and a new hydraulic diverter for under the seat because this man wants to run a log splitter off her at some stage ,

next job is to replace the dreaded rope seal ( again ) on the back of the engine and get her back together ready for another test drive , should be set for rubbing down and cleaning then and hopefully primer and paint soon , the brother is flat out working on the bonnet trying straighten out 50 years of dents and dings and patch the rust , i will start taking a few pictures of this work the next day i am out .

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon3 View Post
    next job is to replace the dreaded rope seal ( again ) on the back of the engine and get her back together ready for another test drive , should be set for rubbing down and cleaning then and hopefully primer and paint soon , the brother is flat out working on the bonnet trying straighten out 50 years of dents and dings and patch the rust , i will start taking a few pictures of this work the next day i am out .
    I would suggest you remove the sump and replace the seals at either end along with the gaskets, also check there isn't a leak from the plug at the end of the camshaft. Often it's actually the rear sump seal leaking that is blamed on the rope seal. I always impregnated the rope seal with flange sealant before fitting them and of course don't trim the length. They seal as well as any other crank seal when fitted diligently.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    I would suggest you remove the sump and replace the seals at either end along with the gaskets, also check there isn't a leak from the plug at the end of the camshaft. Often it's actually the rear sump seal leaking that is blamed on the rope seal. I always impregnated the rope seal with flange sealant before fitting them and of course don't trim the length. They seal as well as any other crank seal when fitted diligently.
    thanks for the advice T P we will try that before we fit the new seal and hopefully we will be able to stem the dreaded leak !

a lot of wire brushing , welding and prepping this week , hoping to have her in primer by next Saturday , i was at the wheels and some of the panels today with the 4" grinder .