Thread: river crossing

river crossing

we have bought a bit of extra land beside us - only problem being there is a river between us! about 4 metres of a channel. any suggestions whether to ford this crossing? how to do so? or a bridge? and how to do so?! thoughts please.

Re: river crossing

Making a ford will be easier and cheaper (assuming it's not too deep). You could use something like old cattle slats laid across the bed.

But be aware using a ford in regularly in poor weather conditions could bring you some pollution problems

A Lorry bed for a bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    had thought of that, would need to lay mesh and concrete over it then? would it not sag?

Depends what you take over it. And how heavy a platform you use.

If allowed to put a concrete pipe in it and plenty of fill on top.

Is it for cows or machinery?

Big concrete pipes and fill might work. Numerous ditches and streams around here crossed in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    If allowed to put a concrete pipe in it and plenty of fill on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Is it for cows or machinery?

Big concrete pipes and fill might work. Numerous ditches and streams around here crossed in this way.
    4m wide op said - that's a lot of concrete pipes!

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    4m wide op said - that's a lot of concrete pipes!
    Yep trouble is they collect all the crap that comes down stream. Eventually blocking completely .

Quote Originally Posted by rogcal View Post
    Amatuer :-)

That is impressive.
    "The Chinese a great bunch of lads"
    Last edited by grassmanman; 29-10-15 at 10:57 PM. Reason: adding in relevant Father Ted quote

That's rather smart !

https://www.cotterillcivils.co.uk/la...wall-culverts/ What about this sort of thing , basically you build wall ether side an fill with stone .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I would just dig the sides out and drive through.

I reckon the op will have to be careful of planning and the EA. What is the crossing to be used for?

You think - a lot of these old bridges on out roads where built in the days of horse and cart, now we are driving artic lorries over many of them....

That being said, many an old rickity farm bridge built to maybe take a grey fergy, now having 14t tractors driven onto them, maybe not driven off them very well!!

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    priced a few lorry trailers today.... could be the best option yet. the chap in the yard told me he has sold many a lorry body over the years for similar projects.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I reckon the op will have to be careful of planning and the EA. What is the crossing to be used for?
    Probably wouldn't need Planning but definitely need to consult and agree works with EA as you will be interfering with banksides and potentially water course/flow.
    If it were me, I would go and speak to them first & foremost to see what they will allow and take it from there. They will give you all the help you need in terms of scaling the project to ensure that any floodwater etc can have safe passage if you engage with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Amatuer :-)

Wow! Like something off the Thunderbirds really . I wondered what the little ants were to start with until I realised they were people, I wonder how it gets on around corners though?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jd 2650 View Post
    priced a few lorry trailers today.... could be the best option yet. the chap in the yard told me he has sold many a lorry body over the years for similar projects.
    Old artic trailers cheap as chips now!! Sell the wheels and axles!! Weld some dog leg brackets on the side to hold some railings. May be a squeeze with machinery but ideal for stock
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    Old artic trailers cheap as chips now!! Sell the wheels and axles!! Weld some dog leg brackets on the side to hold some railings. May be a squeeze with machinery but ideal for stock

Two beds side by side if they're that cheap and paint white lines down the middle.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Two beds side by side if they're that cheap and paint white lines down the middle.
    1000 could buy one very recently, with scrap so low I'm sure plenty bargaint to be had. Cross members above axles would be weakest points from salty roads. Super singles and axle could be solf for easy 200 a set

Not sure how two side by side would work, would need some serious bracing from one to another I would guess t would defeat the object of a cheapish crossing.

ideally it would only work as a livestock, quad, pickup bridge.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

This is what we did about ten years ago after buying half a mile of railway track to join up to another part of the farm. The main rsj's were still in place but the covering sleepers had rotted so we put some extra steel in and covered it with concrete sleepers which we had plenty of. It's just over 4 metres span. Covered the sleepers with railway ballast after.

This is what we did about ten years ago after buying half a mile of railway track to join up to another part of the farm. The main rsj's were still in place but the covering sleepers had rotted so we put some extra steel in and covered it with concrete sleepers which we had plenty of. It's just over 4 metres span. Covered the sleepers with railway ballast after.

I would be a bit concerned about where your sleepers/steels are - if you had a heavy wheel anywhere near the middle, I know they are heavy, but it looks like they could tip upwards and into the middle (seesaw into the gap in the middle). Have you tied the outside edges down to the steels?

I guess OK depending on what your taking over......

I can see what you mean. There are six heavy rsj's. Doubles where the railway lines originally ran and heavy angle irons running between those. If you had a wheel running along the middle it would mean you'd have the other wheel too close to the outside edge for comfort. It was designed for trains so I'd guess it would be well over engineered for our traffic. Since the photos were taken we've also put 6' barriers along the sides for crossing the cattle.

I can see what you mean. There are six heavy rsj's. Doubles where the railway lines originally ran and heavy angle irons running between those. If you had a wheel running along the middle it would mean you'd have the other wheel too close to the outside edge for comfort. It was designed for trains so I'd guess it would be well over engineered for our traffic. Since the photos were taken we've also put 6' barriers along the sides for crossing the cattle.
    Someone's bound to accidently drive a 3 wheeler heavy terrorgator over it if it were my luck lol! Should be fine, as they are heavy and your outside barrier now holding the ends down.... Quite a heavy old bridge mind!! At least you can use it as a shelter if the bombs start falling!