Thread: yet another food scare

yet another food scare

is this just the scientists justifiying themselves at our expence again or the government trying to keep a lid on meat prices

Re: yet another food scare

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    is this just the scientists justifiying themselves at our expence again or the government trying to keep a lid on meat prices
    Depends upon how sound the science is I guess, from what I've heard they seem confident that their findings are robust and that the link is therefore sound. In my view the worst thing the industry could do at present is dismiss it out of hand, it certainly does need to be investigated further though as the implications for ag could be huge whether they are right or wrong.

I guess if the link is sound then the next stage is to try and determine if it is all red meats and why, followed by what can be done to reduce the risk. Not good news though for sure.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

It would seem that water is no better -

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...cinogens.aspx#!
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

The BBC report that in the UK the incidence of bowel cancer is around 6 in 100 people, rising to 7 in 100 if you're consuming 50g of processed red meat per day so in reality I guess it's not going to make a significant difference to the health of most people. The WHO do also state there are health benefits associated with eating red meat too (so that's balanced things up then ). Bearing in mind loads of people still smoke and drink I doubt it'll make much difference to most people, it's another stick to hit the industry with though.

Some interesting stats and comparisons on the BBC.

I find it baffling in the extreme that the WHO would commission, much less publish such a study when that same organisation compiles food supply data. Their own findings alone point out that a scary portion of the worlds population do not have access to enough calories or enough protein. So it is rather ironic they are claiming meat is carcinogenic and we should not consume as much of it when many people on earth struggle to obtain it at all.

If they wanted to do something useful they could research the effects of the literally mind boggling amount of sugar consumed in the developed world despite the fact humans are ill adapted to it. I guess the meat lobby was an easiser targey than the sugar one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I find it baffling in the extreme that the WHO would commission, much less publish such a study when that same organisation compiles food supply data. Their own findings alone point out that a scary portion of the worlds population do not have access to enough calories or enough protein. So it is rather ironic they are claiming meat is carcinogenic and we should not consume as much of it when many people on earth struggle to obtain it at all.

If they wanted to do something useful they could research the effects of the literally mind boggling amount of sugar consumed in the developed world despite the fact humans are ill adapted to it. I guess the meat lobby was an easiser targey than the sugar one though.
    It also helps the consumer a hell of a lot to state that bacon is now classified in the same category as plutonium and cigarettes, of the three I'm happy to take my chances with the pig I think! Cancer is a very emotive topic though so a great way of grabbing headlines and we all know how much the press love a percentage to use without proper context; it'll be interesting to see if it has any effect on meat sales.

I was so worried after reading the article about processed foods that I just had to cook myself bacon, eggs and three sausages, accompanied by fried bread and fried tomatoes, just to recover my composure.

They tasted great!!!!!
    Life is a meaningless journey filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the pussy you can.

I bet the shadow minister is rubbing her hands and saying "I told you so."

Nearly convinced I heard on the radio, that some of the findings in the report are based on a meat consumption figure 4 times the UK average. Therefore as with most things in life moderation is the best option.

There appears to have been a (ahem) miscommunication. It is the amount of evidence that is measured, not the level of risk.

There is more evidence that processed food is potentially dangerous, than red meat. The same as, there is lots of evidence that smoking is risky.

the media has taken the report and made their own headlines. There is also the underlying agenda, with the WHO UN lot, that eating meat is bad for the environment blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltheox View Post
    I was so worried after reading the article about processed foods that I just had to cook myself bacon, eggs and three sausages, accompanied by fried bread and fried tomatoes, just to recover my composure.

They tasted great!!!!!
    Well it appears that UK sausages are fine anyway as the vast majority of them aren't considered to be cured or preserved etc in any way, it's all those "foreign" sausages that are causing all of the trouble . Where's Nigel Farage when we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by nivilla1982 View Post
    Nearly convinced I heard on the radio, that some of the findings in the report are based on a meat consumption figure 4 times the UK average. Therefore as with most things in life moderation is the best option.
    4 time the average- you mean the amount Americans typically consume, in which case, cancer will be the last thing that kills them, if they manage to survive chronic heart disease and other major issues.

Rather than discuss the BS behind the headlines, clearly just the media trying to grab attention as usual - highlight the main point here, surly this plays direct into the hands of pushing good quality UK cuts of meat over imported unknown 'preserved for long transport' meat!

:-)

Chap on a radio phone in yesterday was saying ban meat production and then we would be rid of farmers who are ruining the country with their chemicals. So who grows his fruit and veg?

Hmm processed meat, so is it the meat or the crap they put into it that's the real problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Chap on a radio phone in yesterday was saying ban meat production and then we would be rid of farmers who are ruining the country with their chemicals. So who grows his fruit and veg?
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Most supermarket sausages should be fine as they can be certified as being 100% meat free and contain enough preservatives and e numbers to keep you from perishing until you're a hundred.

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Probably taking the heat off manufactured sweeteners - more money for the moguls there.