Thread: Sexed semen

Sexed semen

Iv a batch of heifers to be served next month thinking of useing sexed semen any tip or reports on how to use it or how it's worked for yous

Re: Sexed semen

Quote Originally Posted by Massey6290 View Post
    Iv a batch of heifers to be served next month thinking of useing sexed semen any tip or reports on how to use it or how it's worked for yous
    Time your service, have you Ai'd heifers before? The earlier you go in the more open the delicate fine little cervix will be, the later you leave it the better chance of holding!!

I presume you have them housed, it's better to keep them on a steady or rising plane of nutrition, so avoid big changes in feed type.

I thaw at a slightly higher temperature than normal, my thaw unit arrived set at 35.6 deg, I adjusted it to 37deg, infact I thaw all semen at that temperature.

Less semen per straw so don't try any daft tricks like splitting straws or loading more than one gun and sticking them down your back to do several at once. Treat it like gold dust.

Thanks for the tips do any of yous use Minerals a few weeks be4 to help them ? Or and drugs to help them hold ?

Quote Originally Posted by Massey6290 View Post
    Thanks for the tips do any of yous use Minerals a few weeks be4 to help them ? Or and drugs to help them hold ?
    Never injected them, but I'm considering a mineral lick this year, just to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygreenan View Post
    Never injected them, but I'm considering a mineral lick this year, just to see if it helps.
    For the millionth time.

Do not use mineral licks. Ever. They are useful only for feeding badgers.

If you have a genuine need for minerals, you either feed it in a concentrate (roll/nut etc), feed it as a powder sprinkled on silage or use a bolus/drench etc.

Buckets/licks etc are a high margin way of flogging molasses. They don't work, they are a waste of money and they are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    For the millionth time.

If you have a genuine need for minerals, you either feed it in a concentrate (roll/nut etc), feed it as a powder sprinkled on silage or use a bolus/drench etc.

Buckets/licks etc are a high margin way of flogging molasses. They don't work, they are a waste of money and they are shit.
    Okey dokey!

I thaw at a slightly higher temperature than normal, my thaw unit arrived set at 35.6 deg, I adjusted it to 37deg, infact I thaw all semen at that temperature.

you're going from -196c to 35.6 or 37, doubt there's much difference in holding % but thermostats aren't always that accurate, last thing you want to do is cook it! tests have been done with thawing to 10c and there's bugger all difference, but worth putting to 35

37 degrees is the normal human temperature. Using a standard medical thermometer, check what your temperature is under your arm, in your shirt pocket, . . . you may find a "spot" to hold the "straw"

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    For the millionth time.

I totally agree.... biggest waste of time ever.....

(I could condone Lumps of Rock Salt, and Mag Crystals in water when needed - if you want to class that as mineral use LoL)

I've used a lot of sexed semen for many years now on cows and heifers. When I started it was 40 and upwards per straw and very few bulls sexed, now there is a huge choice. When it's expensive and you are new to it you look for help I suppose, but I treat it pretty much the same as conventional, that is, thaw at the right temp and don't inseminate too soon!!

I only use it on the good animals and for the last two years I've used beef on anything else which more than makes up for the extra cost of the sexed. I always have some conventional semen in the flask for the odd slow breeder, and some cheap sexed if I want to go that extra service sexed. Bought some sexed Acme the other day for 15, not many years ago I was struggling to find him and he was over 50. There's often a good offer on with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    I totally agree.... biggest waste of time ever.....

(I could condone Lumps of Rock Salt, and Mag Crystals in water when needed - if you want to class that as mineral use LoL)
    Rock salt is dirt cheap= no problem if people want to offer them, if nothing else some cows like it and it does encourage them to drink more. No issue with it or complaint from me.

Mag Chloride flakes- again fairly cheap but it tastes horrible and they won't drink it unless they really have to, and it isn't totally effective for dry cow diets, I've seen it, you can't expect cows to drink a bit of bitter tasting water and magically be able to cope with any amount of calcium in their diet= doesn't work that way.

Why people are still pissing about with all these magic products people want to sell I have no idea, at least 60% of the people I talk to are so technically competent that they ditched the things years ago, the remainder, is it habit? Do they feel obliged to spend money with the sales blokey? Or does handing over hundreds of pounds for tat make them feel better or something, or are they just that desperate to get hold of the empty plastic tubs which are so useful?