Thread: Livestock keep

Livestock keep

Evening to you all , I have an issue with executors of an estate regarding the looking after a herd of cattle . I'm looking to try and work out how much it would cost to keep a suckler cow for a year including rent , silage contracting general maintenance and paper work ,wages etc Your thoughts would be appreciated , I know there is not much profit but trying to prove this to a solicitor with no idea is proving difficult .

Re: Livestock keep

Will vary greatly with type, weight of cow, if you're just ticking them along or pushing with meal for growth rates and good calves.
    If you are excluding things like replacement costs for cows and bulls, vets bills, doses, vaccines.
    Also for at least 8mths she should have a calf sucking so it's cost of keeping 2.
    Show the solicitor the price of suckled calves bulls and heifers equivalent to what they'd be rearing as a starting point. By the time all the costs you mentioned are taken out there isn't much left.

http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/de...ses%202014.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 and 27.

Even the top third fail to make a profit from suckler cows if unpaid family labour is actually paid
    The figures relate more to upland suckler cows, but they can be adjusted for your own particular situation.

Much also depends on any Single Farm Payment. And don't forget that most of the figures
    will have been provided by the farmers themselves, and they are noted for providing honest and accurate
    figures for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/de...ses%202014.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 and 27.

Even the top third fail to make a profit from suckler cows if unpaid family labour is actually paid
    The figures relate more to upland suckler cows, but they can be adjusted for your own particular situation.

Much also depends on any Single Farm Payment. And don't forget that most of the figures
    will have been provided by the farmers themselves, and they are noted for providing honest and accurate
    figures for performance.
    If you are in England there is the Eblex Stocktake figures that will give you similar data, this is the 2014 version.

As b slicker mentioned this is a pretty good place to start, it ought to give you a feel for the numbers that might apply to your own situation and it also provides the non-farming solicitor with something which is accessible and independent of you. As it is drawn from a large number of farms it also demonstrates that your own figures are not unrealistic too.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Krj View Post
    Evening to you all , I have an issue with executors of an estate regarding the looking after a herd of cattle . I'm looking to try and work out how much it would cost to keep a suckler cow for a year including rent , silage contracting general maintenance and paper work ,wages etc Your thoughts would be appreciated , I know there is not much profit but trying to prove this to a solicitor with no idea is proving difficult .
    The recorded figures show that not only is there any profit, there can be a very substantial loss.

Suckler cows cannot be profitable if they are expected to carry high feed and fixed costs. It has always been so. That's why
    they are subsidised: historically by hill cow subsidy and suckler cow premium which were automatically paid if you fulfilled
    the conditions, and currently by a Single Farm Payment which is not automatically available