Thread: Pre Lambing Feeding

Pre Lambing Feeding

Hi,

Every year I feed about 1lb / per day / animal starting four weeks ahead of lambing, increasing that to 2 lb a fortnight before and continuing for a few weeks after. Someone questioned me the other day saying that seemed too much.

Any thoughts? On grass and will be on haylage just prior to lambing.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Re: Pre Lambing Feeding

Its like asking how long is a piece of string .It depends on the weather .It depends on how good your silage/hay or grassland is .it depends if they are single ,twin or triplet carriers .It also depends if they are getting supplements like blocks or molasses .most importantly its the sheep themselves ,how big/heavy , type/breed & their condition.
    I am sorry to say there is no magic figure , I wouldn't dare to give a specific figure without seeing the above, but what you are feeding is what most people give to twins if not to singles and is at least a starting point .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Thanks for the response.

We don't scan so really looking at an average, 'one size fits all' ration. They've been on good pasture but I dare say there isn't much goodness in it now. So far not on forage, won't until I bring them in next month.

They get mineral supplements and that's all. I usually give them high energy buckets closer to lambing.

Generally they are looking very well. Quite big considering there's a month to go.

From what you say it doesn't sound like I'm a million miles off in the circumstances I have.

Many thanks again.

I feed mine a flat 1lb a head before and after lambing along with good silage. Start a month before first lambs are due so some could be getting for nearer 2 months don't like stepping it up as usually end up overfeeding late lambing single carrying vermin!!