Thread: Scottish Beef Efficiency Scheme

Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

Unhappy Scottish Beef Efficiency Scheme

BEEF EFFICIENCY SCHEME - Just got a mailing from Scotgov today with a wee booklet and a leaflet on this BES which I had never heard of before addressed to "Dear Suckled Calf Producer" ???
    First I heard of it ?? Is it just more hoops we have to jump through ??
    I would rather if they were spending their time sorting out the CAP Reform Computer system so they can sent us out our scheme illustration letters which were promised for December ???
    I would also like to know why the Highland cattle did not get a mention in the diary ?/ You have Galloway, Murray Grey, British White, Dexter, Longhorn, Lincoln Red, Devon, Welsh Black and Shorthorn but no Highland or Luing ? I thought they would have been more popular in Scotland than some of those others ??
    Also it will be very interesting trying to weigh a newborn Highland Calf out on the hill while its mother charges you with with 5ft horns - its hard enough tagging them when they are a week old with strong maternal instincts ?? Does anybody think this stuff through ? How many more farmers will be killed and injured ?? Will somebody buy me a weighing crush I wonder ?

Will the scheme pay anything for the effort, cost of weigher and Quality Scheme membership ?

Re: Scottish Beef Efficiency Scheme

Just found this 40 a calf ? Not sure if it is worth the hassle to be quite honest ?

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...-headline-929/

There was a scheme like that here a number of years ago. Rumour had it that new born calves were weighed with a bit of a visual guesstimation which was by far the safest way of doing it.
    Don't be getting too worked up about weights and accuracy, 40kgs at birth, 1kg per day after

I you read the leaflet that came with it you will see you can get 30 a calf for the first 3 years. Calves don't have to be weighed until they are 460 days old and you can use market sale weights if selling weaned calves. If the money would have been better spent else where is open to question but there is some good stuff the scheme as normal the devil will be in the detail.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Received this as well. My first thought was, in a world of finite resources why the hell waste money on this? Having suffered a 35% reduction in my SFP from last year and seen store cattle prices fall from av 2.27p/kg to 1.95p/kg in 8 weeks with a bigger fall to come I don't think a wee diary to record calf births is going to cure my problems! I thought technology was the way forward anyway not a bloody pencil and piece of paper.
    My second thought is that why should I share commercial information with anybody?
    If I'm making a profit (fantasy I know) why give away my commercial advantage ?
    Seems too many buggers in power have too much time on their hands and are too far from the coal face.

As for the savage reductions in SFP well thanks NFUS you have certainly lived up to your name, 'no fu**** use' I evisage an exodus from smaller livestock units in the next few years so I can see no point in the Beef Efficiecy Scheme.
    It will certainly be easy to record births as there will be bugger all cattle left to record at this rate.

The whole scheme has been badly thought out and I can't see it having any worthwhile benefit.

I suspect it's partly down to Richard Lochead's naivety and to undue influence from QMS meddling again in
    there 'Empire-building' mode.

Years ago, the MLC tried to muscle in on SAC's field of advisory work in Scotland but were soundly rejected
    by the College principals. But the SAC are so weak now that MLC's successors, QMS, seem to be taking over from SAC
    as far as Development and Advisory work is concerned, but without the experience or credentials.

Going back to the Beef efficiency Scheme, all the information is to be provided by folk actually calving and looking after
    the cows.

all I can think is more and more money will come away from proper support for frontline farmers and go to back office types administering a scheme that we do not actually need !

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Received this as well. My first thought was, in a world of finite resources why the hell waste money on this? Having suffered a 35% reduction in my SFP from last year and seen store cattle prices fall from av 2.27p/kg to 1.95p/kg in 8 weeks with a bigger fall to come I don't think a wee diary to record calf births is going to cure my problems! I thought technology was the way forward anyway not a bloody pencil and piece of paper.
    My second thought is that why should I share commercial information with anybody?
    If I'm making a profit (fantasy I know) why give away my commercial advantage ?
    Seems too many buggers in power have too much time on their hands and are too far from the coal face.

As for the savage reductions in SFP well thanks NFUS you have certainly lived up to your name, 'no fu**** use' I evisage an exodus from smaller livestock units in the next few years so I can see no point in the Beef Efficiecy Scheme.
    It will certainly be easy to record births as there will be bugger all cattle left to record at this rate.
    Errrrr if you do not want the cash......us English will happily take it.
    Don't remember the Scots yins bleating too much when the English were getting caned when the original system was introduced and the Scots in their wisdom opted for the "good time for all system".........was it called historic?
    If you don't like the store price how about trying the finished trade?????
    Currently enjoying -40p kg/dw from last year......
    Many of them are Scottish born calves!

I keep all mine to finishing ?

Was just cruisung through to see what peoples' thoughts were on this - seeing as how I just got ANOTHER card this week through the post practically begging farmers to join. I agree - what tube-head in the other Edinbugh toon cooncil thinks we should sign up for a new scheme when they can't pay us what we're already owed? Still? I had to phone yesterday because I once again could not get logged in to their wonderful RP website, and by the way, when is the calf money coming? That was due in March? "They tell us they're working on it".

A bunch of clowns in the funhouse.