Thread: How Near Should You Plough To A Hedge?

How Near Should You Plough To A Hedge?

I have a field that's been in pasture for about 40 years now, but hopefully I'll be ploughing it up soon. What I'm worried about is the hedge. It's mostly beech with holly and whitethorn interspersed. It's about 8-9ft tall and was planted about 15-20 years ago. How close can I get without damaging the roots? My Dad planted it and is quite proud of it so I wouldn't want to mess that up!!!! I remember my brother telling me that a trees roots were as long as it is high - would that be a good yardstick to follow??

Re: How Near Should You Plough To A Hedge?

I thought the question would be related to environmental rules/guidelines in which case 2 metres from the centre.
    It would be very unlikely to do the plants any harm by almost touching it as you go round, you'll need be super careful with any herbicide spray though.
    Since the bit shaded and dried out by the hedge is less productive anyway it's reasonable to leave a tractor width, and you might still cut for hay or silage while new grass(?) is establishing.
    If it's a grazed field the old grass will likely stand trampling better if stock shelter alongside it too.

What are you going to crop the field with ??
    I would think leather jackets n wire worm would be in amongst it so maybe a spray off with dursban might sort em ??
    Rotovating thesod before ploughing would help too,,
    long as you go a bit steady under the hedge with the plough you won't do to much damage, as 4wd has pointed out your first drill round under the hedge rarelyyeildsthe highest,
    is there a reason it ain't been ploughed for 40 year ??
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

The ploughing is part of an environmental scheme I'm (hopefully) going to enter, so there'll be no stock. I'm supposed to sow "wild bird cover", a mix of wild flowers, oats and other stuff. As to why it hasn't been ploughed, well it's livestock only. My father sowed a crop of barley in it about 40 years ago but come harvest time a big wind knocked the whole lot over!! Apparently it was a bit of a disaster so he never bothered again. We're also quite high up and in an exposed area, another reason not to damage the hedge I have an old 2 sod plough I refurbished and I'd like to give it a go. No access to a rotovator, only a disc harrow off the uncle

The rules if your land is registered are that you can't plough permanent grass anymore.