Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Is it?
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Re: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Aye, it's certainly not as busy as it once was, which is a pity. that's the way with forums though, nothing lasts forever. There's still some decent discussion going on though, think of it as quality over quantity, the signal to noise ration is certainly much better here that certain other places.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Probably quiet as everyone is thinking of what the future year may hold. Prospects look grim in every sector. The killer will be if the weather misbehaves too.

All on the other site

A lot is now on facebook instead of forums. I prefer forums though as things do not slip down the page and quickly get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    A lot is now on facebook instead of forums. I prefer forums though as things do not slip down the page and quickly get lost.
    Plus a lot of sub forums , still its surprising how many still read this though .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

It is, ATM. But I predict a slow steady trickle back from "another place "...

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    It is, ATM. But I predict a slow steady trickle back from "another place "...
    That I doubt. The admin reins need handing over for that to happen and it never will. Typical farming trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    That I doubt. The admin reins need handing over for that to happen and it never will. Typical farming trick.
    Well yeah, there is that. It's kind of poor form to criticise our host given that he provides this place for us to use FOC but i think you're right, he has become something of an absentee landlord of late, and perhaps if other commitments are keeping him from giving this place the attention it needs then handing it over to someone who has the time and the vision to move it forward might be a good option, even ceding more control to the mod team so they could tweak the forum operating system to make it a bit more user friendly would be a step forward, but hey ho.

Things come and go, i noticed the the other day that friends reunited is closing, one of the biggest internet names from the early 2000's, the guy who started it in his back bedroom, sold it on to ITV for something like 171 million, now it's not making enough to cover its running costs.

I think this place still has a role to play, it's a resource run for the benefit of the users, the other place, for all it's user friendly bells and whistles, is run for the benefit of its owners, to make them money and raise their profile within the industry. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that but it's worth remembering that there are occasions when such an approach could be in conflict with the best interests of the members, or with protecting the image of uk agriculture

Perhaps if there was someone with the skills and time and interest and reputation and . . . who would like to volunteer to "assist" the admin . . . .?

I have done so in the past and should my reputation not be good enough I have also offered to talk the existing mods through the admin controls (not that it is very difficult).
    I don't want to be too critical of Blue, as has been said the place is free to use and if you don't like how it is run you don't need to be here. I accept that but do feel it is such a pity it is all but abandoned. There is/was an awful lot of intelligent information in here plus I feel very comfortable amongst other farmers. I don't agree with all that is said but I feel I know where folk are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I have done so in the past and should my reputation not be good enough I have also offered to talk the existing mods through the admin controls (not that it is very difficult).
    I don't want to be too critical of Blue, as has been said the place is free to use and if you don't like how it is run you don't need to be here. I accept that but do feel it is such a pity it is all but abandoned. There is/was an awful lot of intelligent information in here plus I feel very comfortable amongst other farmers. I don't agree with all that is said but I feel I know where folk are coming from.
    That's what i felt. Have been on here since the reboot and for a good few years before that. With just pasture, sheep and a couple of tractors I've always felt fairly low down in the agricultural pecking order - but when I need advice, a second opinion, or even in a limited way being able to help others, there has always been a posse weighing in with opinion, ideas and often the answers. Now when I log in to 'new posts', often little has changed from the time before. I noticed the footfall is definitely down

WH

You lot need to get to thefarmingforum.we got 17600 plus members and allways busy.a bit like it was here before it all went tits up
    nick...

Quote Originally Posted by nick... View Post
    You lot need to get to thefarmingforum.we got 17600 plus members and allways busy.a bit like it was here before it all went tits up
    nick...
    Once blue gets finished getting that virus ready and the paid for add on google and hes already got a forum set up fir yous all to come back to once youve all had your passwords hacked ;-)

nick...
    Isn't it supposed to be quality over quantity tho?

No need to get petty,i was just stating the facts
    nick...

nick...
    Not being petty at all Nick, a lot of us are on TFF too.

I still amuse myself when I'm searching Google and I come across posts from myself 5 years+ ago, can't honestly remember posting them at all!

I just clicked on the 'newest member' down at the bottom of the forum, out of curiosity, and I have to admit I was rather shocked to see there's been no new members joined since September 2014.

nick...
    Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this wonderful new forum, but with respect, if we wanted to be there we'd have joined it, wouldn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    I just clicked on the 'newest member' down at the bottom of the forum, out of curiosity, and I have to admit I was rather shocked to see there's been no new members joined since September 2014.
    This might have something to do with that:

https://twitter.com/agrinick/status/519589869824139264

It's quite possible no accounts have been validated since then.

Ultimately, this forum will die if some attention isn't given to it. In some ways this doesn't matter, it's only the internet and as nick has pointed out, there is an alternative, (though the "all walt, all the time" play list isn't really to my taste). Nevertheless it appears to be popular and well run, but as i said above, it's a business, and its primary objective is to make profit, and we all know what businesses do when they have eliminated all the competition, just ask anyone who's paid ebay fees lately.

So i think there is some merit in having this place to create some healthy competition, but it can't compete with its hands tied behind its back.

I think it would be helpful perhaps if Blue were to join us and give some idea of what his future plans are for the forum, ultimately it's his choice, i would prefer to see this place move forward and continue to be a useful resource for our industry, but if it's a case of last one out please turn off the light the so be it, but at least we'd know where we stood.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post

Ultimately, this forum will die if some attention isn't given to it. In some ways this doesn't matter, it's only the internet and as nick has pointed out, there is an alternative, (though the "all walt, all the time" play list isn't really to my taste). Nevertheless it appears to be popular and well run, but as i said above, it's a business, and its primary objective is to make profit, and we all know what businesses do when they have eliminated all the competition, just ask anyone who's paid ebay fees lately.

So i think there is some merit in having this place to create some healthy competition, but it can't compete with its hands tied behind its back.

I think it would be helpful perhaps if Blue were to join us and give some idea of what his future plans are for the forum, ultimately it's his choice, i would prefer to see this place move forward and continue to be a useful resource for our industry, but if it's a case of last one out please turn off the light the so be it, but at least we'd know where we stood.
    apparently its making a few quid as well , must be something to do with the overloading of adverts they have on

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0...ary#people-tab

Strange old world!
    Going back a long long way......
    Foot and Mouth days.....
    A very small but extremely vital lifeline for farmers isolated by circumstances evolved, from where I know not.
    In time it not so much died but faded away.
    As time passed FW developed a Forum.....sadly but I suppose inevitably commercial constraints and free speech collided.
    It began to die....a slow and extended death.....accusations of fake posts etc designed to keep the corpse twitching.
    Not being worldly wise I enquiried of another forumite....."where has every one gone"?
    Back came a link to here!
    It was a revelation, full of the movers and shakers, vibrant growing by the day. It took a while to figure out the structure....the moderators were fairly obvious, met one or two of them over the years, just genuine guys.
    In a word it was fizzing!
    All the world was there....any or at the very least many subjects were up for discussion.
    Some of the more elderly will remember nights spent telling tales of Conker Burnishing with Brasso as the cold winter nights drew in. Virtually any subject was fair game.
    Sadly what began as a minor tiff between some contributors developed into a somewhat more serious situation. Various threats flew around, having spoken to one of the combatants ( I am choosing my words carefully here) it was saddening to listen to the level that things had descended to.
    The upshot was as I understand things the threat of legal action against the Forum resulted in severe constraints being placed upon what could and could not posted, the moderators endured much pressure from disgruntled members, the fun, the sharpness, the wit.....all the fizz was killed stone dead. It became a sterile imitation of the preceding.
    Life continued....bit of a cat and mouse game with the Mods.....dodgy posts long after bed time etc etc.....
    Then came the Trolling Hackers, many things can be said.......not robust enough etc etc, upshot was a new start after a break, everyone had to start again....the history was gone.
    From the ashes a couple of "young bucks" would do it better .....in the end a few different forums appeared, with one appearing to be more successfull than the others.
    This where the first rule of the Internet should be remembered "If you are getting it for free, then it is you that is being sold!"
    We now have one version (here) that well, you accept that some one makes some money from it. Another is a much more commercial exercise no pretensions, here for the money!
    All this leaves me with a dilemma.....many good friends have been made....some eventually in real life, others have remained "nom de plumes", In the main good fun people, no doubt considerably different in real life to the way I imagine them! Or their farms or businesses.
    It is always an hilarious inquisition as two members probe around who the other may be, whilst trying to recall those posts made after a glass or two, perhaps not with the best of judgement.
    The present situation is akin to watching an old friend with failing health.....every time you visit, a little less lively .
    So what to do? Having skimmed elsewhere I have not been terribly impressed.....perhaps not so much for gentle people of a more mature disposition than for whizz kids.....I may well be wrong.
    As I said what to do?
    I hope for some of the more recent members this gives some insight, at least as I see them......

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post

Well, if that's the case, then that's what's killing this place more than the other forum.

People come and go on forums all the time, that's just the nature of things. But not letting new people on is like trying to run a breeding herd without putting any new heifers to the bull every year.

That was, in my opinion Gee, an excellent post and I concur with 99% if not all of it.

My dictum in this modern age is that Internet forums and in a totally different sphere, local authority planning applications, bring out the worst in people. And as for this "social media" malarky, well I just don't go there so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    That was, in my opinion Gee, an excellent post and I concur with 99% if not all of it.

My dictum in this modern age is that Internet forums and in a totally different sphere, local authority planning applications, bring out the worst in people. And as for this "social media" malarky, well I just don't go there so can't comment.
    Hmmm Local Planning Authority.?? Not heard about that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Hmmm Local Planning Authority.?? Not heard about that one!
    You only have to put in a planning application that a couple of neighbours don't like and you'll soon discover how retarded some people can be. Making valid objections according to planning law just goes over the top of their collective heads and instead the meaningless bile and drivel spews forth, none of which can ever be considered by planning officers because it has no merit in planning law. But that doesn't stop them. I suppose it makes them feel good in a saddo sort of way.

Well, if that's the case, then that's what's killing this place more than the other forum.

People come and go on forums all the time, that's just the nature of things. But not letting new people on is like trying to run a breeding herd without putting any new heifers to the bull every year.
    BFF seems to be more than alive here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brit...group_activity

Some kind of feed to access Ag related Twitter content of substance would be helpful , so there is less work needed to trawl through meaningless title tattle. not sure how that would work Aunty Mags` might know.

Personally I don't like large forums ,Ag or non Ag as they seem to be dominated with either individuals who are constantly to the point of desperation trying to hard sell their wares or the sick, lame & lazy brigade ( worst offenders) ,with too much time on their hands to think who rarely have anything of interest to say.
    Too little on this forum for sure , way too much on the other one can get a repetitive strain injury on your scrolling finger .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    You only have to put in a planning application that a couple of neighbours don't like and you'll soon discover how retarded some people can be. Making valid objections according to planning law just goes over the top of their collective heads and instead the meaningless bile and drivel spews forth, none of which can ever be considered by planning officers because it has no merit in planning law. But that doesn't stop them. I suppose it makes them feel good in a saddo sort of way.
    Oh thought there had been bad blood shenanigans on here.
    Never ever thought about putting up a wind turbine....but some well meaning neighbours felt the need to point out in advance how vigoursly it would be opposed if we ever tried.
    Thinking about that again I have often thought about how good life would be with half a dozen or so of the biggest you can get.......but then reality bit back!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Strange old world!
    Going back a long long way......

........As I said what to do?
    I hope for some of the more recent members this gives some insight, at least as I see them......

Great post Gee. Well said.

It's so sad to log on at breakfast to find only four or five posts have changed since the night before. How many of us still looking and posting? 5, 10, 25, 50? How do we know? Somewhat pointless asking for help or an opinion on an issue.....

I'd have to agree with you there, it's what's not being done here, rather than what is being done elsewhere, that is killing this place.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/member.php?1-Blue

Last activity: 24 / 10 / 14

I'd guess that the forum is set so accounts need to be manually validated, and only blue can do that, as the last new member to join was around the same time as blue's last log in according to his user page above, ie. over two years ago.