Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Re: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Very happy to take some of your rain Gee!

After the driest spring, summer and autumn on record, we've had 12mm of rain today. Hopefully the ground will be warm enough to paint some green pastures. I've been having good days & bad days: a good day is when I look at the remaining hay in the barn & think it will last the winter; a bad day & I think it won't .

All of Tasmanian has been affected, an unusual situation. Our Hydro dams are down to 12% capacity, & 200MW if diesel genies has been brought in to supplement the hydro, wind & gas turbines.

Part of the problem has been the failure of an interconnector thru which we've been sucking dirty bowncoal-fired electricity from Victoria for years - and our idiot government is hoping to duplicate it, rather than investing on more roof-top PV, wind & wave. Gawdelpus

JV
    just been Skypeing the Tassie one....he has been giving me a run down on your parlours electricity situation...apparently picture circulating of someone canoeing down the original river that should be in the bottom of a large hydro reservoir.
    Beginning to sound like Venezuela on the power front I.e. Switch everything off.
    Optic fibre not sounding too good either.

Optic fibre not sounding too good either.[/QUOTE]

No, no! Our fibre is top notch: fibre to the premises, not the half baked fibre to the node, then the old copper to the premises which the capitalist Liberal Party has foisted upon the areas later in the program! Gawdelpthem

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Gee
    Optic fibre not sounding too good either.
    No, no! Our fibre is top notch: fibre to the premises, not the half baked fibre to the node, then the old copper to the premises which the capitalist Liberal Party has foisted upon the areas later in the program! Gawdelpthem

JV
    Understood that part of the cable damage was an undersea optic connection along with the elec one.
    Tassie one tells me his was dead for a week, but now tagged onto a Telstra line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Thank you Blue, Footsfitter and all other BFF mods.
    My thanks too even though I am not about a lot due to the new farm which was more neglected than I anticipated and also the Charity. With a combination of them both don't get much time for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Understood that part of the cable damage was an undersea optic connection along with the elec one.
    Tassie one tells me his was dead for a week, but now tagged onto a Telstra line.
    Ah, yes, sorry, misunderstood your comment.

As you say, some were seriously affected by the loss of one of the trunk fibre optic cables. The State gov't quietly shifted its data to alternatives, leaving others struggling.

Here's a link to some of the energy story; :

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?...-power-crisis/

JV

Welcome, zeroo. I don't think you are too far away. I am in Tasmania (possibly the most southern member ) and I was accepted some years ago. Over the years, I've received very valuable help with tractor problems (and hopefully provided some as well) and have made some good friendships with some turning into visits, both here and in the UK.

We all owe a great deal to the owner and the mods; this forum is a very good place to be.

I run a small beef herd on the family farm on the suburban fringe and manufacture weed wipers. Tell us about Kentucky

JV
    Thanks. Eastern Ky has been described as the armpit of america. It's kind of a depressed area mainly because of the Appalachian mountains and the lack of ability to develop. Very hilly. Where I live are large population of amish.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroo View Post
    Thanks. Eastern Ky has been described as the armpit of america. It's kind of a depressed area mainly because of the Appalachian mountains and the lack of ability to develop. Very hilly. Where I live are large population of amish.
    Good Appalachian music though....🎶🎶🎶
    Last edited by Gee; 03-05-16 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Thanks to everyone for bearing with us on this. I can assure you that everyones concerns have been noted. Re communication, as many will have noticed, here on BFF the moderators and admin tend not to get too involved in posts and threads provided they fall within the forums rules. We also try not to openly discuss moderation matters and have found over many years that most members accept they have to comply with the rules and their application.

I think I can speak for my colleagues in that we all volunteer to help run this forum because it has over many years provided us and many others with good help and information in a friendly and hospitable way. Please may it continue

I think it can be taken for granted that all forums are monitored by OEM's and others as an invaluable source of feedback, their difficulty must be in sorting the wheat and chaff from comments.

Here on BFF we have a policy of advising both parties that after having made initial contact which then may best be served further by direct discussions, ie PM's or email.

Most OEM's will of suffered from bad publicity from a public slanging match which seems to of made them weary of publicly getting involved on forums.

Remember, be sure of what and how you post on public forums, it can and will be read by anyone.

Thanks to you all - to you Footsfitter, Gee and the other BFF mods and to Blue of course and the few others that kept this thread going so we are now in the place that we wanted to be. It's a happy day.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Thanks to you all - to you Footsfitter, Gee and the other BFF mods and to Blue of course and the few others that kept this thread going so we are now in the place that we wanted to be. It's a happy day.
    Whoah steady on there!!
    I am in great danger of being awarded an OBE here! (Other b*****s efforts)
    My part was very insignificant.
    More shouting from the sidelines.
    All to the good though.
    Gee😀😀😀😀

Re: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet - Isn't it refreshing...:)

Isn't it refreshing........ to open up BFF and find there's nearly 20 posts that have been updated since I last logged on 24 hours ago
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

local company to us has a cooperage out in Ky and I've always been keen for a trip over the water to the area and of course try out the local beverage
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Are you in an area close to the huge opencast mines?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Are you in an area close to the huge opencast mines?
    Not too far. Most of those areas are great for off-road riding, terrible for the environment. But lately the coal mines are at a snails pace due to the epa.