Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Re: I don't like it..... It's too damn quiet

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    That is interesting, i never look at facebook so had no idea the BFF facebook group was so busy, i wonder if some of those posting on there can't get on here to post?

Some kind of feed to access Ag related Twitter content of substance would be helpful , so there is less work needed to trawl through meaningless title tattle. not sure how that would work Aunty Mags` might know.
    Good point, it might be helpful to get mags and FF to join us in this discussion to give some idea of how the land lies.

Personally I don't like large forums ,Ag or non Ag as they seem to be dominated with either individuals who are constantly to the point of desperation trying to hard sell their wares or the sick, lame & lazy brigade ( worst offenders) ,with too much time on their hands to think who rarely have anything of interest to say.
    Too little on this forum for sure , way too much on the other one can get a repetitive strain injury on your scrolling finger .
    Amen to that. I was thinking of invoicing their pembrokeshire correspondent for a new scroll wheel, mine has overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Last activity: 24 / 10 / 14

I'd guess that the forum is set so accounts need to be manually validated, and only blue can do that, as the last new member to join was around the same time as blue's last log in according to his user page above, ie. over two years ago.
    It is possible for Blue to be logged in permanently but is hidden. There is no way that a forum such as this hasn't had an Admin. presence for 15 and a half months (not "over two years")

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It is possible for Blue to be logged in permanently but is hidden. There is no way that a forum such as this hasn't had an Admin. presence for 15 and a half months (not "over two years")
    Duh. maths fail there on my part, FFS.

Yes, admin can be hidden, and it does seem unlikely there's been no admin intervention for that amount of time but it also seems unlikely that no one, not one single person, has joined the forum since that date either, i did say it would be useful if the mods would join this discussion and give us a low down on the current situation.

It is possible that this forum is so dead that no one new is interested in joining, but it's also possible that account validation is solely the responsibility of the admin, and admin has not validated any new accounts in this time.

It is possible that this forum is so dead that no one new is interested in joining, but it's also possible that account validation is solely the responsibility of the admin, and admin has not validated any new accounts in this time.
    If that is the case Joe, and I have no contrary evidence, then it is a very sad state of affairs.

Hmmm.... this thread seems to have uncovered more than I thought it would. Interesting info coming out. Would be nice now for us to know whether we're banging our heads against the wall

'Doing our bit' trying to keep it going by threads and posts is one thing - but we need the backup of the admin, mods and the ability to validate new members.

Otherwise, in the words of Private Fraser, 'we're all doomed'.....

Which is it?
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Don't know about now but the old chap couldn't get validated here before the crash. With the ease of registering on TFF why would he even try to get on here after the resurrection? A lot of people, in the early days of TFF, said they joined there because they couldn't get on here. Sounds like that is still happening.

There has been a feeling that things have been slowing up a bit. But I can't imagine anyone would want to spend their time sorting things out on here for nothing in return. Sorting out squabbles and tiffs and getting agro for thing they try to help out on but if it's true about the lack of fresh blood then yes I'm afraid the place will slowly die off
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Sadly, it's starting to look like our loyalty had been somewhat misplaced

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Don't know about now but the old chap couldn't get validated here before the crash. With the ease of registering on TFF why would he even try to get on here after the resurrection? A lot of people, in the early days of TFF, said they joined there because they couldn't get on here. Sounds like that is still happening.
    It was true that it was very difficult to get a new account validated on here before the crash, a number of people said this and as you say, it was a number one gripe on the new forum when people started to join there.

This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess was that before the crash BFF was pretty much as big as it could be and still be managed as a 'hobby', ie. run in someone's spare time and moderated by volunteers, that could explain why the borders were closed, as it were. The opposition probably realised that this place had the potential to be much bigger and took their chances. They're obviously prepared to run their forum as a full time business and employ staff etc, you can understand perhaps that not everyone would want that sort of risk or commitment, and also, as i said upthread, such a move alters the nature of the forum itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Sadly, it's starting to look like our loyalty had been somewhat misplaced
    In fairness to Blue, he doesn't owe us anything. He had the original idea for an independent farming forum and he provided this resource for us to use. I wouldn't presume to speak for him but i got the impression that he was quite hurt by the events of the crash, and i can't say i'd blame him if he was.

Aside from the fact that two people, one who'd enjoyed privileged status on here for years and another who'd built up a successful marketing business on the back of contacts he'd made through using this forum, stabbed blue in the back for the sake of their own personal gain, an awful lot of forum members who'd had the use of this place for many years turned their backs on it without so much as a 'so long and thanks for all the fish'. I think i'd have lost heart in the job as well after that, TBH.

After the crash, blue did say he'd keep this place running as long as people wanted it, obviously we're all still here because we do want it to continue, but ultimately it's blue's baby and it's his call. I haven't always agreed with him, but Kevin is a decent guy, and i have every respect for him.

It was true that it was very difficult to get a new account validated on here before the crash, a number of people said this and as you say, it was a number one gripe on the new forum when people started to join there.

This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess was that before the crash BFF was pretty much as big as it could be and still be managed as a 'hobby', ie. run in someone's spare time and moderated by volunteers, that could explain why the borders were closed, as it were. The opposition probably realised that this place had the potential to be much bigger and took their chances. They're obviously prepared to run their forum as a full time business and employ staff etc, you can understand perhaps that not everyone would want that sort of risk or commitment, and also, as i said upthread, such a move alters the nature of the forum itself.
    In fairness to Blue, he doesn't owe us anything. He had the original idea for an independent farming forum and he provided this resource for us to use. I wouldn't presume to speak for him but i got the impression that he was quite hurt by the events of the crash, and i can't say i'd blame him if he was.

Aside from the fact that two people, one who'd enjoyed privileged status on here for years and another who'd built up a successful marketing business on the back of contacts he'd made through using this forum, stabbed blue in the back for the sake of their own personal gain, an awful lot of forum members who'd had the use of this place for many years turned their backs on it without so much as a 'so long and thanks for all the fish'. I think i'd have lost heart in the job as well after that, TBH.

After the crash, blue did say he'd keep this place running as long as people wanted it, obviously we're all still here because we do want it to continue, but ultimately it's blue's baby and it's his call. I haven't always agreed with him, but Kevin is a decent guy, and i have every respect for him.

Many a time I have thought better of immediate action, had a nights sleep before deciding how best to deal with something.

As a result overnight the above two replies have appeared from someone (who although often "controversial"!, has my respect for having been around here a long time) and MBJ has pretty much summed up all I could of said.

BFF fits my needs and also the time I have to give, so, until I find someone has turned the light out, if ever that happens, I will continue to use it.

ff

I have been very lucky in my life. I have enjoyed tremendous loyalty from a quite a few customers and learnt that it is something that you can't put a value on. I also remember back in the days when FW was the only really credible forum for agriculture but it was absolutely dire. So much so that I made an appointment with the chap who was running it to meet at the Royal Show. Can't remember his name, Nick something ? Anyway he seemed a reasonable chap but explained to me that his hands were tied by FW as to what he could do and how long he could spend on the job.

Then along came BFF and the rest is history. I do know that when I had a bit of trouble on here Kevin was very helpful and so, as per my opening sentence, I shall remain on here out of loyalty.

And one more thing. Do not underestimate how much time running a forum like this takes. There are always problems, advice and help to be given, sometimes people to ban, blah di blah. And if you put your name in lights someone is always going to take a pot shot at you. It's an Internet forum, that's what happens when people are given the opportunity to write things without retribution and while being faceless.

I personally know stuff all about running a forum, but it has always seemed strange on here that the main man (?) is conspicuous by his absence which just makes it all the more 'empty'.

It's interesting that this thread has over 40 posts whereas there are only two others in this section that have 40+ since October!
    I suppose that shows that people do want it to continue, but nobody really knows what to do about it.

Shame

Well, we've got to keep the Ford 40 series help thread running, no matter what.....

Does any one else read the "Oldie" magazine?
    ;-)))))
    I suspect some may find it an enjoyable read.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Many a time I have thought better of immediate action, had a nights sleep before deciding how best to deal with something.

As a result overnight the above two replies have appeared from someone (who although often "controversial"!, has my respect for having been around here a long time) and MBJ has pretty much summed up all I could of said.

BFF fits my needs and also the time I have to give, so, until I find someone has turned the light out, if ever that happens, I will continue to use it.

ff
    Not a great thought that suddenly despite limited personal contact one day there will be none. The sense of belonging gone.

Never thought much of Krampe trailers anyway!

Although that may be a gripe of the past.....

Some kind of feed to access Ag related Twitter content of substance would be helpful , so there is less work needed to trawl through meaningless title tattle. not sure how that would work Aunty Mags` might know.
    Good point, it might be helpful to get mags and FF to join us in this discussion to give some idea of how the land lies.

No good asking me about Twitter, Definitely one for Sam_TM

Although I have mastered FB. I simply login, do what I have to, then out-again asap!

From what I have been told about Blue the Person he is a very genuine and modest person , and unlike the dynamic duo who are undoubtedly very able and savvy operators have been very undignified and very forthright about Blue ,who inturn has kept his council.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

From what I have been told about Blue the Person he is a very genuine and modest person , and unlike the dynamic duo who are undoubtedly very able and savvy operators have been very undignified and very forthright about Blue ,who inturn has kept his council.
    Yes, that was also what i've been told and also the impression i got from having spoken with blue on here on a number of occasions.

Ultimately what's done is done, and it doesn't really matter what others are doing, what they're trying to create on the other channel is never what this place was intended to be anyway.

Clearly from the responses on here there is still a place for this forum, the place just needs some input to move it forward and make it seem like a living forum not just a private club for a diminishing band of old timers. It doesn't have to be an internet bestriding leviathan making 100K's profit every year, Mike has got a really decent forum going over at forum4farming, if this place was something like that in terms of posting and traffic it would be a decent forum.

There's still plenty of good will there to make it happen but we do need blue on side with this, i don't know if FF could get in touch with him, or failing that, i could send him an email via the forum's email address and ask him to join us here, what does everyone think?

I have run a forum and the only real thing that takes up any time is members squabbling with each other.
    There's a certain amount of spammers to deal with and other than that there's not much to do. The forum I was running was much bigger than this one (not bragging, just a fact) and the mod team was no bigger than on here. The mods on here will know how much time it takes anyway.
    The one thing lacking is admin. You can not run a forum without the admin having a presence, doesn't have to be Blue but he does need to hand over the controls to someone else. This can be a shared thing, in fact I don't really say why all the mods can't have access to the controls. Their loyalty isn't in question. In any case you can be given various amounts of control it doesn't have to be the whole lot.

I asked more than once on here if the quick reply function could be activated. This means the box you type your reply in is there at the end of the thread, you don't need to press on the reply button and the back button takes you straight back to the list rather than the thread you just replied to. To do this involves putting a tick in a box. Never happened, never replied to and can't think of any possible reason why not to do it other than it takes the admin to do it. Hell if you didn't like it afterwards just untick the box again.
    Trivial stuff but the fundamental reason this place is failing imo.
    There is a place for this forum but you have to allow some life into it.

BFF seems to be more than alive here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brit...group_activity
    Well we are just coming up to our 10,000th member, we do try and keep BFF alive, other groups appear to have copied it too . Despite me logging into and using the "other" forum I still have some sort of affection to BFF, copies are never the same.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    Well we are just coming up to our 10,000th member, we do try and keep BFF alive, other groups appear to have copied it too . Despite me logging into and using the "other" forum I still have some sort of affection to BFF, copies are never the same.
    bloody hell, that's a lot of people signed up, i had no idea it was so p[opular, it would certainly be an excellent avenue to promote the forum

There definitely needs to be a BFF/facebook group link here as its essentially the off topic section .The main reason the BFF facebook group is very popular because it hasn't been drowned by links & plugs to get people on to the respective forum and to keep the sponsors happy , not that there is anything wrong with that as its clearly very effective and in truth is helpful in showing what is there without Walter P and similar sorts being in your face. But the reality is you cant have it both ways and if links & plugs appeared from here ,not that there is much to put on there We would kill it. As the other place is geared up to have as much traffic as possible and frankly it needs to with wages going out , why would they want you on nattering away facebook & twitter , again nothing wrong with that as one could say its a forum & facebook rolled into one , with John 1594 the comedy genius by accident thrown in .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I am a mod on another forum and it seems that the main difference to this one is that the mods can aprove new members. I think just that one change on this forum would give it a new boost of life.

I don't have any complaints with any of the mod team here and never have. I have always found them firm but fair, which is what I sort of came to expect. In the same vein, I have never had any real cause for complaint derived from any member or poster, either, even if they have irritatingly 'beaten' me in an argument somewhere along the line. . On the contrary, BFF has been the source of a lot of fun and I have met a lot of very genuine people and friendly people out there through the medium of cyberspace. Perhaps in future years we should endeavour to arrange some kind of board meet, I have attended those belonging to other forums in the past, complete with name badges. A bigger eye opener you will not find anywhere I promise you, people are never ever what you imagine them to be like.

I have used a lot of differing forums though for a variety of reasons, and I've helped moderate one ages ago, too. Plus I've been using BFF or FWi before it, for a long time. So I'll make these suggestions or observations, make of them what you will:

• Membership. I wasn't aware that forum membership was still based on admin-acceptance only. In my experience, few forums are run in this way as it automatically dissuades anyone new from joining. Remove the controls, and let the mods deal with the resultant spambots. More work but having a highly restrictive way of obtaining membership makes it feel like you are joining the local working mens socialist club full of old duffers, not a thriving and vibrant place for anyone to join and participate.

• Whilst I see the objective of BFF as being an agricultural forum, if you actively seek to limit any forum solely to a single highly specialist and thus narrow field of conversation you are going to artificially constrain the ebb and flow of your forum. So yes, allowing ag folk to float about and discuss the merits of renewing trident or not, or which loo Caitlyn Jenner should really use and why is actually a productive and healthy thing that should be facilitated if not actively encouraged. Otherwise you will invariably end up with a lot of (largely) depressing content about the price of wheat and who just failed their RPA inspection because, as with the general Ag press, positivity is often rather difficult to come by once you remove the 'Brand new World eater combine with million quid price tag just launched' type material. If you think back to the earlier times, often the most heavily subscribed threads were about topics which were borderline Ag at best. If that isn't a strong indication of what content members are prepared to extend to, I don't know what is. Likewise, remember the joke thread, and the even better Tuuuuune! (music) threads? Not everyones cup of tea I admit(and the jokes in particular need a keen hand at the wheel to keep it from becoming downright obscene!) but it did offer a lot of people a lot of alternative content to delve into outside the serious stuff, or anything too technical. Photography is also a pretty hot topic because there are a lot of keen photographers about and their creativity is astounding and can be appreciated by anyone. I think farmers by nature are usually pretty articulate folk with a wide range of interests or at least the ability to understand a lot of different topics, as it is useful in the job itself. As such, allowing people to talk around the industry and beyond plays into this ability- I've lost count of the number of people in the industry who are serious football or rugby fans. Yet it is rare these days to see it mentioned here and the joke and Tuuuuuune threads were killed off officially eons ago.

Ultimately I would agree that the basic structure and functionality of the forum itself might benefit from a revamp and additional features (quick replies, easier image use and so on, I am sure more experienced IT folk have far more ideas), but you have to recognise that the people who make a forum tick, it's bread and butter, are the members themselves. So in actual fact, if the place has become quieter, it is us who have made it so, and the only remedy is to do more and post more. Certainly hot linking facebook and BFF would be an automatic decision I would have thought? I'm not a twitter user myself (in fact I don't bother with faceache either tbh) but I can see why some might want a BFF feed or some other implementation.

I wonder if in future if you got the place a bit more active maybe voluntary donations to the staff/board might be worthwhile in order to offset the costs in time/money of the service and provide an incentive to run it? I have used forums where monies can be volunteered but usually as proceeds for some kind of project rather than a membership fee of sorts.

I did not realise there was such a huge facebook group aligned with BFF. I suppose the obvious question is why is facebook being used as the medium of choice rather than a forum? Is it down to reasons of accessibility and usability?

Lastly, how many here remember the heady days of FWi? I can still remember sitting in the computer room at uni, furiously bashing the keys in whatever heated argument was afoot at the time (normally it was something GM related). Can you remember though, when it was found out FW were pulling the plug, the responsible party was apparently identified, I forget the name, and of course this person became the subject of a lot of grief almost instantly, including but not limited to his appearance. Fast forward a few days and the very man appeared on the forum, came out guns blazing, turned out the online persona was fictitious, being a figment of Toms imagination if I remember correctly?

And I never did understand the whole black swan theory, either. Also, it was around that same time that I received the greatest (and to this date, sole) compliment I have ever received online anywhere when someone described me as being 'highly dogmatic'.

To this date I still have people confess they are or were avid readers of BFF, and that they have had much entertainment (if one could describe it as that) from doing so, only that they have never signed up or actually dared to post because it's all a bit intimidating. We must be appearing all too serious these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post

ff

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    I am a mod on another forum and it seems that the main difference to this one is that the mods can aprove new members. I think just that one change on this forum would give it a new boost of life.
    I think that's the best suggestion yet, provided the mods would be happy to take it on.

I just don't understand any of the principle that either admin. or mods. have to approve new members. What is the "approval" criteria ? I could register on here with a previously unused email address and a spurious name (bit like the one I have now ) and the mods./admin. wouldn't have a clue as to who I am.

I am sure that there will be members of Friends of the Earth, RSPCA, RSPB, even leftie anti-SFP that are on here now and we don't know they are here.

That's why the time of admin./mods. should be used in looking at all posts and policing the ones from our own community and deleting any that are derogatory to our profession. Half a dozen mods who keep in close contact with each other and who just look after one section of the forum each or maybe 2 of the quiet ones.

The main reason why anyone joins a forum is to ask questions or give an opinion. And in this day an age they want to do it almost instantly, not wait for some arbitary decision as to whether they are suitable members or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    I think that's the best suggestion yet, provided the mods would be happy to take it on.

How does one 'approve' new members anyway? I use 'WoodenHead' and have been on here for a number of years - but no one really knows who I am. Once, a 'btinternet' or other mainstream provider email address gave a person or business credibility. Now gmail and others are almost the norm particularly when picking up emails remotely on mobiles or tablets.

Unless there is some more complicated process, surely an inappropriate member outs him or herself all too soon by blatant spam / advertising or other misdemeanours - and it's then the role of mods comes into play.

Therefore the membership policy could be looser with us and the mods policing the content? Interesting that the last member who is shown below as 'joined' (in 2014!) was 'robertpattinson' who has never posted and when you read his 'about me' appears to be an Australian motivational speaker / conference / seminar outfit . We would all soon know when a wrong-un's on board?

WH

Edit 09.19: Zaza you type quicker than me! And do you always know what I'm thinking
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch