Thread: Squatters.

Squatters.

It appears that some squatters took up residence in our morning stick shed last Summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zaza; 31-01-16 at 03:23 PM.

Re: Squatters.

Are there any signs of life?
    It's quite a big one

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Are there any signs of life?
    It's quite a big one
    Other than just looking at it I haven't investigated it - yet. It's just a bit larger than a rugger ball but I don't fancy trying a drop-kick. Anybody know if the queen will still be in there ?

​I am assuming it is a wasps nest, in which case it will be empty and not used again.
    Wouldn't be surprised to find some over wintering queens hiding in the pile though.

There is enough morning sticks to last us 3 years in that shed and have two log sheds either side and one at the rear and they are all full so maybe I have provided lots of environmental benefits. I can feel the Stewardship payments hitting my bank account as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    There is enough morning sticks to last us 3 years in that shed and have two log sheds either side and one at the rear and they are all full so maybe I have provided lots of environmental benefits. I can feel the Stewardship payments hitting my bank account as I type.
    Should be loads of money in that, let us know how it works out as kindling too
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Should be loads of money in that, let us know how it works out as kindling too
    I did a bit of Googling and got a surprise and a shock. Firstly the nest is made by stripping timber, mixing it with saliva and making a papier mache <sp> sort of material. Fair enough. if it's timber and I burn it then all I am doing is recycling it.

BUT. If you read the bottom piece of this : http://www.wasp-removal.com/wasp-nes...tification.php it appears that there is a "German" wasp that builds a nest like a football. I know mine is like a rugger ball but Mein Gott, they're not squatters, they're invaders. Angels one-five. Tally-ho chaps.

Zaza, I thought at first glance on the phone screen twas possibly your hairpiece......but that was on the small screen!!! 😉😉😉

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Zaza, I thought at first glance on the phone screen twas possibly your hairpiece......but that was on the small screen!!! 😉😉😉
    Hey, you've just given me an idea Ulscots, I am going a bit thin on top. Do you reckon anyone would notice if I wore it on top of my head ? If it was inhabited then so much the better. It could be used as a deterrent. i.e. someone jumps the queue while I'm waiting to be served at the bar and I give a little twitch on my forehead and 1,000 wasps come flying out and attack the miscreant.

Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I did a bit of Googling and got a surprise and a shock. Firstly the nest is made by stripping timber, mixing it with saliva and making a papier mache <sp> sort of material. Fair enough. if it's timber and I burn it then all I am doing is recycling it.

BUT. If you read the bottom piece of this : http://www.wasp-removal.com/wasp-nes...tification.php it appears that there is a "German" wasp that builds a nest like a football. I know mine is like a rugger ball but Mein Gott, they're not squatters, they're invaders. Angels one-five. Tally-ho chaps.
    Wasps. On a par with mosquitoes. Something the world could definitely do without.