Thread: 10 year beef

10 year beef

I saw this article about beef being sourced from retired dairy cows selling for 26 per kg:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrin...out/ar-AAeRZAL

I've heard plenty of people say that beef from cows has superior flavour to bulls but not sure whether a ten year old Holstein would secure these sort of prices?

Re: 10 year beef

I wouldn't pay more for old cow beef but I wouldn't mind paying the same as for any other beef. I like beef with a good flavour and I'm noy scared off by the thought of cooking! It makes sense to make good use of 'spent' animals. We don't sell cow beef because our dexters tend to be truly ancient when they go and it wouldn't be worth the extra travel to slaughterhouse who could do them or even to cull where we'd get pence per kilo - they are just killed on farm. But I have a friend who sells cull cow beef at the same price as prime steer beef and the customers don't bother. So much of what we're told customers want is rubbish.

Re: 10 year beef

It just goes to show that when selling a premium product it needs to come with a story. Not many will be able to differentiate on flavour and there is probably as much variation between animals as there is production systems.