Thread: "sports" camera (aka go pro)

"sports" camera (aka go pro)

Been looking at the GoPro type sports camera but the prices for such a wee little thing soo put paid to that, until that is I was shown one of these-

http://www.banggood.com/EKEN-H9-WiFi...-p-994488.html

Never dealt with the company before but know those that have and as they said it was soon here, plus for the money the amount of bits in the kit plus being able to connect with my samsung smart phone after getting the free controller app make the price seem even better!

Re: "sports" camera (aka go pro)

I believe Bangood have a UK warehouse so most things are delivered in a week or so.
    Anything which does come from China is usually almost a month which is still OK if no rush and a good price.

I bought a predecessor of this - the still well thought of SJ4000 about three years ago - and it's been reliable and robust.
    It's one big weakness is low light performance.
    A couple of months back I succumbed and bought a Hero4 from a discount place - the improvement in video and still quality is considerable but the unit had faulty wifi and has been replaced at some inconvenience though they paid the shipping.

It's ironic that I probably spent almost as much as this camera costs on a few additional mounts!
    The SJ4000 items will more or less fit but are just slightly sloppy when used with real gopro.

I think the one thing well worth getting is ... a selfie stick!
    Not only does it allow greater reach but they telescope into a compact handle which makes keeping it steady much easier.
    This is the one major drawback compared to proper camcorders - shaky footage.
    However if you are attaching it to vehicle or whatever this is less of an issue.
    A gorillapod style mini-tripod is useful too.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

I have an older camera I got from here as a package deal with a memory card recorder (7-8 years ago) and it has been very good though starting to get dated now. I am not sure of the latest specs but I would have though their current offerings will be thereabouts.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

Yes my first foray into tiny cams was a Roadhawk Ride.
    I had problems with it randomly shutting off and didn't like the bright blue light flashing quite close to the lens, so gave it away to a friend eventually.
    The GoPro video quality is excellent but not sure it's worth their price if all you are doing is putting 2 minute clips on youtube.
    Definitely a good plan to get one of the cheap copies first, and see if you can get to grips with the editing and uploading - which takes a bit of research to do well.

To compare:
    2016 - Hero4 + selfie stick - 250(!)

SJ 4000 from China 50 (caution audio is loud)

Roadhawk Ride - was about 120 I think but less now:

The bog standard GoPro Hero model isn't that expensive. It doesn't have a screen on the back and can't be removed from the case but it is fit for purpose. It's not much more than 120 euros, I believe. Much cheaper than the Hero 4 or 5 but without as many bells and whistles. A much better option for the frugally minded. And it works just as well in my opinion.

Last edited by Augusto77; 02-05-17 at 08:31 AM.