Thread: freshly calved cow with big teats

freshly calved cow with big teats

Hi, i have a 4th calver cow with large teats. The teats are stretched to the size of coke bottles so the calf is finding it impossible to get a suck.

Are there any tricks to help to give the teats some elasticity again to help the calf get sucking?

Should we milk the cow out daily?

One of her teats is hard.

Thanks for any help.

Re: freshly calved cow with big teats

Milk enough out to soften the teats for the calf to get attached. You may have to do it several times in the first few days. Did the calf get enough colostrum? She sounds like a cow to take some off for freezing. Put the cow on the cull list as she will be worse next year.

We find that calves can often cope after a few days of assistance, it requires patience though. Personally I'd milk her out then try to get the calf to suckle once you've taken the pressure out of the udder, everything should be a bit slacker then and with the calf hungry hopefully it'll be interested in working it out. Obviously it's not going to get a full feed this way but if you can get it sucking then tube it afterwards you're half way to it working it out itself.

If you've got a blind quarter I'd just leave it and concentrate on the ones that the calf will find easiest to suck.

Our cows are dairy X so large udders etc have become part of the cull policy; sometimes you can get away with another year but it's judged on the individual animal and often the cow will leave to save the problems the following year for he next calf.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes, she missed the cull group this year, reason being that she was a purebred cow with plenty of breeding but i suppose if she has a bad elder we may cut our loses.

The calve was born yesterday and she recieved powdered colostrum. we tried milking some off her last night and got it into the calve.

Last year the cow had the same problem when she calved and as you said we spent a week milking her off until the teats had reduced.

Was just asking in case there is some other way of reducing the teat that i was unaware off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffo View Post
    hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes, she missed the cull group this year, reason being that she was a purebred cow with plenty of breeding but i suppose if she has a bad elder we may cut our loses.

The calve was born yesterday and she recieved powdered colostrum. we tried milking some off her last night and got it into the calve.

Last year the cow had the same problem when she calved and as you said we spent a week milking her off until the teats had reduced.

Was just asking in case there is some other way of reducing the teat that i was unaware off.
    I've not come across one, it's strange how some calves take to them virtually immediately and others faff about for ages before they get the hang of it though. Understand your culling decision too; if we didn't cut a bit of slack here on occasion there would be hardly any cows left! Most important thing is a live calf though; you've got that so she's done the hard bit really and hopefully the rest will follow.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

At the minute we have been feeding the calve with the bag. We have tried a bottle but the calve is showing no interest in sucking. We have tried tickling the calves tongue to maybe get it to suck.

Any ways of getting it to suck better?

Ive also spent an hour tonight milking one of her quarters dry to take the pressure of one of the teats.

Has the calf shat? If not, it will have lost most of the urge to suck.

When you have it under the cow, trying to make it suck, stimulate it around and under the tail head to encourage
    it to pass the first meconium and to activate the sucking reflex.

After the calf has ended upside down and you have started to foam at the mouth and become totally demented, the next option is to milk the cow
    and stomach tube it - the calf, not the cow.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Has the calf shat? If not, it will have lost most of the urge to suck.

When you have it under the cow, trying to make it suck, stimulate it around and under the tail head to encourage
    it to pass the first meconium and to activate the sucking reflex.

After the calf has ended upside down and you have started to foam at the mouth and become totally demented, the next option is to milk the cow
    and stomach tube it - the calf, not the cow.
    Got a rope tied to the cows back leg to stop it kicking me and got the big teats milked out and stomach tubed the calf. Had tried to bottle feed the calve with no success. The teat is now a easier size for the calf to latch on itselt.

Miraculously the calf has started to suck itself.

Will keep it in for a few days to keep and eye on it.

Have a second cow that has developed sweaty sores between her udder and the inside of her back legs? Whats the best treatment?

Spray with antiseptic - liquid savlon or similar. Even clean udder cream if you have any.

Have a second cow that has developed sweaty sores between her udder and the inside of her back legs? Whats the best treatment?
    Had one like that years ago, she would come into the parlour then re-adjust her stance so that copious amounts of udder cream could be applied - I am sure you could see the relief on her face...
    Last edited by Courier; 23-04-16 at 05:05 PM.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Roughly how long will treatment take to cure. Vet yesterday gave me betamox la, a shot of moxicom and udder mint to put on her.

Roughly how long will treatment take to cure. Vet yesterday gave me betamox la, a shot of moxicom and udder mint to put on her.
    Wise up! Have you tried uddermint on your own sweaty sores?!!! 😱😂

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Wise up! Have you tried uddermint on your own sweaty sores?!!! 😱😂
    Uddermint on crock knees can cause a bit too much heat at the top of the legs. Don't ask how I know that one.