Thread: EU seeks ban on glyphosate

EU seeks ban on glyphosate

https://neurope.eu/article/meps-call...ate-herbicide/

The European Parliament’s Environment Committee passed a motion for a resolution on March 22 that calls on the European Commission not to renew the authorisation of the herbicide substance glyphosate for another 15 years. There are serious concerns about the carcinogenicity and endocrine disruptive properties of the herbicide glyphosate, which is used in hundreds of farm, forestry, urban and garden applications.
    The MEPs called on the Commission to request an independent review and disclose all the scientific evidence that the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) used to assess glyphosate.

If that doesn't give you a clear idea of just what agendas are in play inside the hall of the EU central government, I don't know what will.

Re: EU seeks ban on glyphosate

OMG.

My cousin is a scientific advisor to DEFRA, he spent years trying to prevent a ban on Neonics. That ban was based on crap science, that was bought and paid for by Green NGOs. Now this nonsense.

The EU funds NGOs to lobby the EU. When the EUs chief scientific officer objected to the ban on GMOs she was sacked. Money talks.

This is why some scientists suggest brexit will be bad for science funding, because the EU will pay for any old crap, if it supports its agenda.

I did write a letter to the FG on the subject but since they didn't use it I'll post it here for your enjoyment:

Letters to the Editor
    Good front page coverage of an important topic in last week's FG (April 1st) but it deserved a more appropriate headline than ‘Threat to pesticides grows as science-led approach ignored’.

The concern raised by MEPs is whether commercial interests are allowed to take precedent over science, whether safety assessments need to be published before products are licenced and whether those assessments are on the formulations used rather than just one active ingredient (for example a recent French study a product such as Roundup contains surfactants to adhere to tissue making it 1,000 time more toxic than pure glyphosate alone). France’s ban on neonicotinoids is based on UK research showing how the chemical can accumulate in wild flowers and hedgerows at much greater concentrations than in the target crop.

That FG was published on the day HSE’s new restrictions on use of the organophosphate Chlorpyrifos came into force; the farmers and families whose health was affected by the chemical think it deserves the headline ‘Threat from pesticide reduced as regulators are guided by the science’.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I did write a letter to the FG on the subject but since they didn't use it I'll post it here for your enjoyment:

Letters to the Editor
    Good front page coverage of an important topic in last week's FG (April 1st) but it deserved a more appropriate headline than ‘Threat to pesticides grows as science-led approach ignored’.

The concern raised by MEPs is whether commercial interests are allowed to take precedent over science, whether safety assessments need to be published before products are licenced and whether those assessments are on the formulations used rather than just one active ingredient (for example a recent French study a product such as Roundup contains surfactants to adhere to tissue making it 1,000 time more toxic than pure glyphosate alone). France’s ban on neonicotinoids is based on UK research showing how the chemical can accumulate in wild flowers and hedgerows at much greater concentrations than in the target crop.

That FG was published on the day HSE’s new restrictions on use of the organophosphate Chlorpyrifos came into force; the farmers and families whose health was affected by the chemical think it deserves the headline ‘Threat from pesticide reduced as regulators are guided by the science’.

Let me get this right Tom. You think the banning of chlorpyrifos was a step forward for the industry?

Please could you provide links to families and farmers whose health was affected by it? Because it is still licensed for application to vegetables from gantrys in horticultural crops.

Or is this merely part of your general anti-organo-phosphate crusade?

I don't do "links to families and farmers whose health was affected" without their permission but I will send a link for this thread to one affected by chlorpyrifos methyl who may wish to comment. The fact that HSE now realise some uses of the chemical are unsafe have come too late for some though doubtless many more farmers have used the chemical with no ill effects.

I expect pure glyphosate will eventually be re-licensed though possibly you may have to tank-mix it with surfactants yourself (with a health warning about the dangers of doing so).

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Let me get this right Tom. You think the banning of chlorpyrifos was a step forward for the industry?

Please could you provide links to families and farmers whose health was affected by it? Because it is still licensed for application to vegetables from gantrys in horticultural crops.

Or is this merely part of your general anti-organo-phosphate crusade?

I don't know wether l am talking about the same type of chemical, but l was laid on the floor for three months and couldn't get up stairs for a year after using Tiguvon on our dairy herd back in the late seventies, lost my memory, which took some years to recover, even now there are certain words and places l cannot remember nearly forty years later.
    After doing some knapsack spraying a couple of months back l have vowed never to use it again, l used some roundup type of chemical to kill of some rough ground, although l had all the right gear, gloves,spraysuit, masks and filters, l forgot my specks, (silly old b___er ) misread the label and used three times the recommended dose, within half an hour after finishing l was like a zombie, didn't know were l was or where l was going, this lasted four days then gradually wore off after a week, this was my own daft fault, but ended my spraying days.

I do think some people are more prone to chemicals than others, depends on your genetic make up, but for me they are out.

According to Farming Today this morning, the MEPs have approved Glyphosphate again for 7 years instead of 15, but have voted to ban its use as a dessicant to ripen crops. To be fair I think I agree with that, although it does make our job as baling contractors more difficult.
    Just to reinforce the BREXIT brigade, the vote is subject to the unelected commissioners actions!!!
    The farmers rep (cogeca?) did say that banning Glyphosphate would make Europe less competitive.....and how!!
    One of our neighbours has taken to direct drilling in a big way, and to my mind is being very successful and environmentally friendly. For spring sowing, he sows cover crops including legumes, and burns it off with roundup. He has used this technique this spring, he is sown up, we have not sown a grain yet!!
    If only these activists would listen to responsible farmers instead of going off on one, we could benefit from intelligent use of chemicals.
    I appreciate there have been mistakes, very much so, but without the use of science over the last 60 years, our population would be very hungry now. I was in the company last week of a successful organic farmer who very wryly said that organic farming could feed the world.
    He did also say though that the 300 acres they farm conventionally is farmed better because of their experience(20 years) in organic farming,

An intesting debate

Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    this was my own daft fault, but ended my spraying days.

I do think some people are more prone to chemicals than others, depends on your genetic make up, but for me they are out.
    As with the sheep dip saga (and perhaps glyphosate) I think it's not so much the active ingredient as the agents added to aid penetration and wetting that can be damaging.

I suspect the activists seeking to ban glyphosate on extremely scant evidence are mainly against it due to the integration with GM crops.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    As with the sheep dip saga (and perhaps glyphosate) I think it's not so much the active ingredient as the agents added to aid penetration and wetting that can be damaging.

I suspect the activists seeking to ban glyphosate on extremely scant evidence are mainly against it due to the integration with GM crops.
    Agreed, they are paranoic about Monsanto,
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    According to Farming Today this morning, the MEPs have approved Glyphosphate again for 7 years instead of 15, but have voted to ban its use as a dessicant to ripen crops.

Jack Caley
    So does this mean it can't be used on OSR? As I understood it the ban is for food producing crops (fair enough on milling wheat maybe?) but how do you know the end use of your OSR when you get to harvest? Is it fair to say that unless you are certain it's going in to crushing for cooking oil (ie on contract etc) then it won't be by any other route?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    So does this mean it can't be used on OSR? As I understood it the ban is for food producing crops (fair enough on milling wheat maybe?) but how do you know the end use of your OSR when you get to harvest? Is it fair to say that unless you are certain it's going in to crushing for cooking oil (ie on contract etc) then it won't be by any other route?
    I would have thought that 99% of OSR is for cooking oil etc.
    Who grows Euricic oil seed rape nowadays?

Jack Caley

In any case, some people prefer swathing anyway, so there is an alternative.

That EU parliament vote is not legally binding and may well be overturned by the Commission next month. If glyphosate is ever banned for use as a desiccant you will be informed by DEFRA (and probably by the NFU long before that).

I would have thought that 99% of OSR is for cooking oil etc.
    Who grows Euricic oil seed rape nowadays?

Jack Caley

In any case, some people prefer swathing anyway, so there is an alternative.
    There is an alternative but the only swather round this way will be mighty busy to keep up with the extra acres , looks like I'm wrong anyway though if Tom says it's not legally binding.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    That EU parliament vote is not legally binding and may well be overturned by the Commission next month. If glyphosate is ever banned for use as a desiccant you will be informed by DEFRA (and probably by the NFU long before that).
    iIt does not surprise me that the use of roundup for dessication might happen, whether or not it is harmful. We lost the huge benefit of GM on the basis of the precautionary principle and the false stories put out by organic brigade. The FSA,s ruling on this is that glyphosphate or its adjuvants is possibly carcinogenic. That is enough scaremongering material especially when the word possibly is accidentally missed out by scaremongering journalists after another headline.
    It really is time for brexit so that we can have proper scientific evaluation of the facts, not be ruled by a green party and left wing monster.

Jack CAley

iIt does not surprise me that the use of roundup for dessication might happen, whether or not it is harmful. We lost the huge benefit of GM on the basis of the precautionary principle and the false stories put out by organic brigade. The FSA,s ruling on this is that glyphosphate or its adjuvants is possibly carcinogenic. That is enough scaremongering material especially when the word possibly is accidentally missed out by scaremongering journalists after another headline.
    It really is time for brexit so that we can have proper scientific evaluation of the facts, not be ruled by a green party and left wing monster.

Jack CAley
    I am afraid Jack that the stance of the EU on GM crops had nothing to do with science, it was the same with neonicotinoid seed treatments. They were issues where the decision was made due to politics. GM crops were a useful tool in trade wars with the Americans, allowing their cultivation inside the EU would have totally undermined that. Neonics were a sop to the green political movement. Again, these products are also freely used in the US, like a lot of other products. All useful tools to use in any required way where trade is an issue.

If glyphosate is carcinogenic, or any of the myriad of adjuvants and other materials used in pesticides, it does make you wonder who authorised their use to begin with- the amount of test data that must be submitted with any new pesticide to the EU and CRD is immense, normally representing many years and countless millions of dollars of work.

Just another reason to remove ourselves from the EU anyway in my book.

Also, regarding banning glyphosate as a stick to beat Monsanto- they no longer hold the patent on it, it expired years ago, and is now made nearly exclusively in the far East by companies you never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I am afraid Jack that the stance of the EU on GM crops had nothing to do with science, it was the same with neonicotinoid seed treatments. They were issues where the decision was made due to politics. GM crops were a useful tool in trade wars with the Americans, allowing their cultivation inside the EU would have totally undermined that. Neonics were a sop to the green political movement. Again, these products are also freely used in the US, like a lot of other products. All useful tools to use in any required way where trade is an issue.

If glyphosate is carcinogenic, or any of the myriad of adjuvants and other materials used in pesticides, it does make you wonder who authorised their use to begin with- the amount of test data that must be submitted with any new pesticide to the EU and CRD is immense, normally representing many years and countless millions of dollars of work.

Just another reason to remove ourselves from the EU anyway in my book.

Also, regarding banning glyphosate as a stick to beat Monsanto- they no longer hold the patent on it, it expired years ago, and is now made nearly exclusively in the far East by companies you never heard of.
    Regarding the stick to beat Monsanto, rationality has nothing to do with the issue. The whole emotional, irrational thought behind the precautionary principle ante use of fear by activists has nothing to do with scientific fact.

Just look at the use of fear in the present Brexit campaign.
    Regrettably fear usually wins,
    Jack Caley

I think I heard a piece on the BBC where it said council employees are using vinegar instead of glyphosphate because glyphosphate is carcinogenic!!!

Is the truth stranger than fiction??

Jack Caley

I think I heard a piece on the BBC where it said council employees are using vinegar instead of glyphosphate because glyphosphate is carcinogenic!!!

Jack Caley
    I'm not surprised they are Jack. Glyphosate and salt on your chips is wrong on so many fronts.
    I'll get my coat.

Jack Caley
    My neighbour had three bottles of vinegar lined up on her table as she had heard the same piece. She is trying it out on her patio and borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    My neighbour had three bottles of vinegar lined up on her table as she had heard the same piece. She is trying it out on her patio and borders.
    This all reminds me of my college days and the lists of "herbicides" at the time. One of them of course was sulphuric acid which in theory was supposed to slide off cereals and stop on runch!, or charlock
    Heyho, we have moved on a little in scientific farming, there have been mistakes but hopefully monitoring of products is good now to repeat them. In any case the development of herbicides like roundup have helped to feed the world,

Jack Caley