Thread: Sugar v fat

Sugar v fat

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ig-john-yudkin
    Interesting read, there has seemingly been hijacking of 'science' by activists ... yet again.

We see this in other fields too, where mainstream ideology scarcely permits any alternative view to be held let alone researched.
    Climate is another good example, and the increasingly absolute belief that organic must be somehow good and pesticides somehow bad.
    These increasingly intolerant viewpoints are nurtured by the media and in recent years even more strongly by the internet, which makes it too easy to ignore evidence which does not mesh with your own or the socially correct predetermined position.

Re: Sugar v fat

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ig-john-yudkin
    Interesting read, there has seemingly been hijacking of 'science' by activists ... yet again.

We see this in other fields too, where mainstream ideology scarcely permits any alternative view to be held let alone researched.
    Climate is another good example, and the increasingly absolute belief that organic must be somehow good and pesticides somehow bad.
    These increasingly intolerant viewpoints are nurtured by the media and in recent years even more strongly by the internet, which makes it too easy to ignore evidence which does not mesh with your own or the socially correct predetermined position.
    the media is a very dangerous weapon and the current emphasis on sugar again is going to lead us into the same blind alley. The one thing missing from all the comments on sugar, is that consumption has been falling for 50 years.
    the average consumption per head of UK population is at a similar level to those healthy years of rationing in WW2. and previously in Victorian times!
    yet obesity is going up all the time.
    It is absolute rubbish to think that one part of our diet is causing us all our problems.
    The population at large has never been better fed and it shows.
    We should never forget that a very small part of the population, is making very large sums of money, providing us with printed matter which has to be filled day after day.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    the media is a very dangerous weapon and the current emphasis on sugar again is going to lead us into the same blind alley. The one thing missing from all the comments on sugar, is that consumption has been falling for 50 years.
    . . . .
    I think the difference is the "sugar like" content that is being included in food items without the words "sugar" on the label, including sucrose, polyols (sugar alcohol) and Corn Syrup.

A lot more sweets are being consumed, they used to be a treat bought with pocket money or by Granny but now they are an everyday item.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    the average consumption per head of UK population is at a similar level to those healthy years of rationing in WW2. and previously in Victorian times!
    yet obesity is going up all the time.
    It is absolute rubbish to think that one part of our diet is causing us all our problems.
    The population at large has never been better fed and it shows.
    We should never forget that a very small part of the population, is making very large sums of money, providing us with printed matter which has to be filled day after day.
    I am not sure you are correct, the incidence of diabetes is now approaching epic proportions, and tooth decay in some children is reaching levels you would scarcely believe.

There are a heck of a lot of sugar co-forms being put in modern foods to add taste. If fat is removed, they compensate by using sugar or salt because the taste is significantly downgraded.

The Americans are a classic example, everything over there is loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

The modern food supply industry has made hunger a thing of the past, but food has become too cheap and the diet of some people is abysmal. NHS statistics and the words of senior health experts are all I need to hear.

I regularly do the shopping in tandem with my wife. It is illuminating to see what other people have in their trolleys. The classic I saw the other day was a bloke with a daughter whose stature resembled that of a pot bellied pig. Her reward once she reached the checkout was a packet of crisps.

A lot of us on this forum can eat nearly anything- you are very active folk, and I bet you would surprise yourself with your actual levels of fitness. The average joe, however, today is heading toward his own self destruction.

One thing is for sure, average weights and percentage of obese and very obese people are going up every decade. In the 1970's we ate more calories per day and weighed less.....the quality of the food has changed....less home made food, more sugar, fat and salt etc. and folk are far less active.

The fact that 1:11 people is now also diabetic means we are doing a lot wrong....the increase in the percentage of folk with diabetes being almost exclusively down to type 2 diabetes where the insulin levels are high, but there is a resistance to its action Exercise and weight loss reduce the insulin resistance and can return blood sugars back to normal levels in some folk.

I suspect that, as a population we eat too much fat and carbohydrate, the latter mainly as sugar and this,coupled with lazy lifestyles is the reason for the obesity and diabetes epidemics.

So...get out the horses and the hand plough....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandba View Post
    One thing is for sure, average weights and percentage of obese and very obese people are going up every decade. In the 1970's we ate more calories per day and weighed less.....the quality of the food has changed....less home made food, more sugar, fat and salt etc. and folk are far less active.

The fact that 1:11 people is now also diabetic means we are doing a lot wrong....the increase in the percentage of folk with diabetes being almost exclusively down to type 2 diabetes where the insulin levels are high, but there is a resistance to its action Exercise and weight loss reduce the insulin resistance and can return blood sugars back to normal levels in some folk.

I suspect that, as a population we eat too much fat and carbohydrate, the latter mainly as sugar and this,coupled with lazy lifestyles is the reason for the obesity and diabetes epidemics.

So...get out the horses and the hand plough....
    So what do you do with horses if you are hand ploughing? Eat them I guess?

True, essexpete.......to stock up the protein stores.....

It has always struck me that there is a great deal of hypocrisy in this country (apart from a very few places) that folk feel it's absolutely fine to eat cows etc. but not horses. If horses were regularly eaten there would be no problem with folk turning out horses onto common land as the vet bills are so high and there is no market for old nags.....and that comes from someone who hasn't eaten meat for many a year.

Oh well, maybe I'm just an old hypocrite for keeping animals and refusing to eat 'em....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandba View Post
    True, essexpete.......to stock up the protein stores.....

It has always struck me that there is a great deal of hypocrisy in this country (apart from a very few places) that folk feel it's absolutely fine to eat cows etc. but not horses. If horses were regularly eaten there would be no problem with folk turning out horses onto common land as the vet bills are so high and there is no market for old nags....
    I fully agree.